I just ordered a set of Achilles 185RC 8 ply tires for $67 each. By far the cheapest I could find in a HD rating to fit my Toyota. I'm wondering if anyone in the USA has tried them yet? I could not find any reviews in the USA but did find quite a few in England and Spain. All were very good. In the past I've had some great Chinese stuff and also some very bad Chinese stuff. So, for now it's a crap-shoot. I do know that the old adage about "you get what you pay for " is not universally true. My local dealer wanted $114 each for Hankooks. So from him 6 tires with tax with cash-and-carry (no mounting) is $740. These Achilles tires are $488 total shipped to my door for six tires.

Know nothing about the Achilles. The Hankook RA08s can generally be had for ~$100 each, out the door by shopping around and price matching.

Walmart has something for $101 each if I ordered ithem in. Might of been Hankook. That would still be $660 with tax in my area of NY.

Walmart and Sears both seem to have the RA08 listed.

http://www.walmart.c...5R14-8/17792669

http://www.sears.com...Type=SKIP_LEVEL

Would they price match?

http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/

http://www.busdepot.com/ra08/

EDIT: My ultra slow computer finally opened the Bus Depot page. WOW!!! Seems like only yesterday that their price was $72/tire!!

EDIT 2: Got a Discount Tire within striking distance?

http://discounttires...WE=&prodID=9705

http://www.discountt...CFYl7QgodUEcAYw

is the correct link

thats discounttires

is not the same as discount tire

with no s

and they do carry it and they do price match. You have to order it a day in advance sometimes

its not on their website unfortuntately but they are in general much cheaper than sears or walmart.

also americas tire same chain.

I don't know what the Discount Tire price is, but Discount Tires had the lowest price ($80) I stumbled across. Plus there doesn't appear to be a Discount Tire located within 250 miles of "Upstate NY'.

We call this area "central NY" the "leatherstocking area",, fringe of the Catskills, foothills of the Adirondacks, etc. and people from New York City 200 miles south call all of the rest of New York "upstate." The only discount tire dealer in my area is www.mavistire.com. They don't sell any 8 ply 185RC-14 tires. Walmart does but not what I'd call "cheap." I' used to buy a lot from www.tirerack.com but their shipping fees have gone way up.. Lately there are some places selling cheaper with free shipping including www.simpletire.com. Simpletire.com has the Hankook RA08 for $83.53 each plus $16.99 each shipping and no tax for me in NY. $603 delivered to my door. The 6 Achilles I ordered are $488 to my door. I guess I won't know if it was a mistake until I get to use them. I know in the past China has made some of the worst rubber and plastic I've ever seen. But they've improved. I've got Chinese 14.5" 8 ply tires on my equipment trailer and they've been great. I was around when the Japanese stuff was like the Chinese stuff now. Mostly junk but later became high-end. Simple tire has in the 185RC-14 8 plys - Hankook RA08 for $83.53, Goodride H160 for $66.13, Cordonvan Ranger R101 for $78.34, Yokahamd Y356 for $105.83, and Kumho 857 Truck and Bus for $110.51.

Yep, to those in 'The City', anything North of the Tappan Zee Bridge is 'Upstate' and should not be entered without full survival gear! :)

8 years in Plattsburgh, in the real 'Upstate', where Lake George is considered the Deep South.!

Yeah and I'm from out west, Rochester. Still miiss home sometimes

Linda S

Yep, to those in 'The City', anything North of the Tappan Zee Bridge is 'Upstate' and should not be entered without full survival gear! :)

8 years in Plattsburgh, in the real 'Upstate', where Lake George is considered the Deep South.!

Yes, it's funny how Lake George got snuck into the Adirondack Park years back. The original Adirondack Park of 1892 did not regard the Lake George area as wild or north enough to be within the blue-line..

I used to live on the Canadian border in the "Northeast Kingdom" of Vermont (Newport Center and Barton). I made friends with an old guy who was born in Hudson Bay. He told me that when he was a kid, his parents got fed up with the miserable cold weather in Hudson Bay and decided to "move south." So, where's they go? The nothern tip of Vermont. I guess "down south" can be a relative term, just like "upstate."

One of my sons lives in Sherbrooke Qc, just North of the NEC. Sherbrooke (like Saranac Lake) always seems to be the coldest place on the TV weather map!

Sherbrooke is where I did all my girl chasing and drinking back in the 70s. That's when I was living in Newport Center, Vermont. Once the border was crossed you could put the gas pedal to the floor and there was almost all Canadian wilderness until getting to Sherbrooke. It was like a different world to me at that time. The French-Canadian girls were very different then those in the US. Much more conservative in action and in dress. Yet - the bar in Sherbrooke had people walking around smoking pot and I never heard of any arrests. Labatts Blue was the beer of choice at the time.

on the other side of the country i used to live on the CANADIAN BORDER in WHATCOM COUNTY WASH ST 30 miles FROM BLANE OR SUMAS STILL MISS THAT COUNTRY

I lived in Magog,QC.for 7 years. Sherbrooke was closest large city to me.

Black Label was the beer of choice. The girls were beautiful,and I spent many a good night camping by the lake or climbing Mt.Orford.

My son works in Austin, Qc, so he drives through Magog twice a day. Just heard on the radio that it's -20C (-5F) in Sherbrooke. Miss the 'Fall' weather??

It's 19 F above here this morning. T-shirt weather I guess compared to Sherbrooke.

I lived in Magog,QC.for 7 years. Sherbrooke was closest large city to me.

Black Label was the beer of choice. The girls were beautiful,and I spent many a good night camping by the lake or climbing Mt.Orford.

The main beer was Labatts when I hung out there in the 70s. Black Label is what we drank when we were broke. In the US, it was 79 cents for a sixpack. The only beer I ever saw cheaper was Ruppert Knickerbocker. Besides Sherbrooke, there was a bar right on he border- on the US side in Newport Center, I guess. Called the "Bluebird." It's the only bar where I've actually seen fights like in the cowboy movies with chairs getting broken over heads. I broke the door off my Ford Pinto escaping that place one night.

The Black Label they sell now is made by Molson in Canada. It's nothing like the Carling brand sold in the U.S.

It seemed to be a favorite of rich and poor alike. Nothing against Labatt, but I prefer a black over a bleu.;)

The main beer was Labatts when I hung out there in the 70s. Black Label is what we drank when we were broke. In the US, it was 79 cents for a sixpack. The only beer I ever saw cheaper was Ruppert Knickerbocker. Besides Sherbrooke, there was a bar right on he border- on the US side in Newport Center, I guess. Called the "Bluebird." It's the only bar where I've actually seen fights like in the cowboy movies with chairs getting broken over heads. I broke the door off my Ford Pinto escaping that place one night.

The bar is still there. It's also a motel and truck stop. Wild place still I hear.

Yes, Carling Black Label was the stuff for 79 cents per six-pack. I didn't know there was another Black Label. Unfortunately, I don't drink anymore so I haven't kept up. Genesse 12 Horse Ale was my favorite when I stopped.

The first time I went to the Bluebird was with my boss around 1975 as I recall. There was a nice looking girl tending bar. Some guy was having an argument with her and he hauled off and belted her in the mouth. Me - like an idiot -jumped in and slugged the guy. While my back was turned - the girl (who had just been slugged by the creep) hit me in the head with a beer bottle. In an instant the whole place went crazy. Chairs getting broken, windows smashed, etc. My boss and I hopped into our Ford Pinto and before we got the doors closed - a couple of huge guys were on us. I nailed it, drove off with one door open - it hit a telephone pole and broke off. That was the last time I went to the Bluebird. Note that I think all the "patrons" in there were USA people, Not Frenchys. After that I started hanging out in Sherbrooke. Much different. Main problem was . . . seemed that when girls didn't like me, they pretended not to know any English. My family is originally from Québec (Nicolet and Three Rivers) but that was two generations ago. Me no speakum "Français beaucoup."

Since the op doesn't care that we're off topic, I'll jump in...

I grew up outside of Syracuse. Which is central ny, but since moving out west, yes, I just call it upstate when people ask. I do miss the adirondacks. But the west is just better! In my opinion.

Labatt blue seemed to be the everymans beer of choice when I was there, too (which wasn't quite so long ago!)

Good luck on your tire search. My tax returns will take me as far as I can go on new tires all around, new wheel bearings all around, and any brake work that needs to be done. Right now I'm tearing into the interior...

And your family name was originally 'Desmarais'?

Yes. To be technical, the name started out in northern France as "Des Marets." When the name came to Québec in the 1600s, it became spelled "Desmarais" most of the time. When it got used by non-French speakers in the USA it became many things. Demarest, de Marris, de Marrais, desmarais, etc. My great uncle owned land in a place in Maine called Demariscotta. I've often wondered if there any connection to the family name.

I ended up getting a bottle broken over my head by a guy after stopping a rape in college by the perpetrator in 1994.

Ended up dating that girl; Also ended up leaving that school. Have not ended drinking though... : )

Well, you've got a lake named after the old ancestors. I think you'll need your 4x4 if you plan to visit!

https://maps.google....ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA

Yes, seen it on the map but haven't been there. There are a couple of places with my family name in Canada. My G-G-(many Gs) granda is a prominent figure in Canadian history books. That is unusual for a women back then to get credit for something. She led refugees out of "New Scotland", i.,e. Port Royal, Nova Scotia and down into Nicolet, Québec. That was unusual since most of the refugees from Nova Scotia went to Louisian in the USA and became "Acadens" and now "cajuns."

My new tires came today. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that are made in Indonesia and not China. Indonesia is known for making quality rubber whereas China is not. So at least they look like real tires. We'll see how it goes. $488 for six tires shipped to my door with no tax is a pretty good price.

Industry Setting

PT Multistrada Arah Sarana was established in 1991. The company produced tire brands, including Achilles, which competed for market share through quality products. It has been awarded as the best performing Indonesian tire company, and the fastest growing tire company in the world. Their products have been exported to more than 75 countries.

100_0702.jpg

100_0710.jpg

100_0708.jpg

100_0707.jpg

100_0705.jpg

100_0704.jpg

100_0703.jpg

I don't think you've mentioned who you actually ordered them from. Or maybe I'm having a 'Senior' moment.

Website is www.tires-easy.com

Their page with many brands of the 185-14" HD tires is at:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&sowigan=&Breite=185&Quer=&Felge=14&Speed=&kategorie=6&LoadRange=&Marke=&ranzahl=4&suchen=View+tires

Here is the order receipt I got:

Delticom North America INC.

631 Indiana Street

Benicia, CA 94510

Ordered products:

Product number: R-171671

Order number: 15265714

Product: Achilles LTR 80 185R14C D/8PR

Number of items: 6

Unit price: $ 67.20

--

Total without shipping: $ 403.20

Shipping and Handling: $ 85.03

--

Total: $ 488.23

JD, good find. even the Hankooks at $87 is a good price to take to a "We'll match the price" retailers.

Give us a report on the Achilles when you get them on the Toyhouse.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Website is www.tires-easy.com

Their page with many brands of the 185-14" HD tires is at:

http://ssl.delti.com...chen=View tires

Here is the order receipt I got:

Delticom North America INC.

631 Indiana Street

Benicia, CA 94510

Ordered products:

Product number: R-171671

Order number: 15265714

Product: Achilles LTR 80 185R14C D/8PR

Number of items: 6

Unit price: $ 67.20

--

Total without shipping: $ 403.20

Shipping and Handling: $ 85.03

--

Total: $ 488.23

So I don't get it. Their offices are less than an hour from my house but shipping the same tires to me is 115 dollars. How on earth did you get them shipped all the way to you for 85. Plus I would have to pay tax on top of that. They look like nice tires though.

Linda S

So I don't get it. Their offices are less than an hour from my house but shipping the same tires to me is 115 dollars. How on earth did you get them shipped all the way to you for 85. Plus I would have to pay tax on top of that. They look like nice tires though.

Linda S

Beats me?? I'm in central NY. That's the price their Website quoted me and that's the price I was charged. Here in NY we've got near 9% sale tax. So getting without the tax is a added bonus. Mabye you are ;paying a fine for being a California resident? I know I pay plenty of "fines" for being a NY resident.

offices and plant locations usually vary quite a bit.

If the substance of the product is known in the great state of Cali to contain carcinogens (and basically according to California everything causes cancer) they require extra bribes to transport...