My 86 toyota dolphin has been drinking oil slowly. I put new valve seals in and yesterday I was in a state forest an hour away from home. I ran the truck a few time to charge the battery and when I was done I noticed oil or sut on the ground by the tail pipe. I drove 1 hour and the oil level went down a quarter way which means that it is getting progressively worse. Any thoughts?

A compression check or better yet a leakdown check, these will tell many things.

I am having a compression check tomorrow. This sucks with the holiday coming. I paid 2800 for this thing but put about 6 grand into it so far and things still go wrong. I guess I will just fix everything and this way I know it works. I just wish things would stop going wrong....

dont give up gr8... you'll get er' done.

were you hunting?

I just got back from using my toy up in interlochen state forest for deer camp. Man, the floors took a beating; covered in mud sand etc... wiped right up and clean though gotta love that Bamboo

I just got back from my mechanic and he said last time he did a compression test 2 plugs were firing at 125 and the rest was 150. He said that is nothing to worry about. He said my head gasket is fine after checking on things. He said he cannot figure out why I am losing oil. He said maybe it is the rings. He suggested buying a crate motor and getting a 100k warranty. He said or I can keep putting oil in it. I cant believe after everything I have done I am left with this problem. I will just roll with the punches. Any advice?

Toyota FSM specs on compression 171 psi, minimum 142, max variation between cylinders 14psi.

I'd say your is a little passed the edge. Any oil on the drive way or is it all going out the tailpipe?

Oil is cheap however and $1500 buys a lot of oil. Try 20-50w.

See how many miles your are getting per qt of oil. In the old days when your engine used a qt every 500 mi it was time to do something.

i dont use my rv this time of year in my 88 truck i use 20 w 50 year around but has not been real cold in wash state these last few years i run it anyway not bad at all unless real cold maybe o

Does it smoke? If you got oil on the ground you should not be able to see behind it. I'm guessing it's water mixed with soot. The biggest consumers of oil with the 4 cylinder is the front crank seal I would have a real good look it that until they have been leaking for awhile it's hard to see unless you get under it. What's the mileage? If it's less that 150K I doubt if you have engine issues.

I am at 78k miles. It is not the head gasket. It was just some soot running out the pipe. I am still losing oil somehow. The other odd thing is the oil is all over the place on the dip stick. I am getting alot of different measurements. Tomorrow I will be traveling from western to eastern pa. This will be a great test. I will be checking oil every gas fill up and since my toyota has a smaller tank than a quad I will be stopping often. Something else weird happened tonight. I got 2 propane tanks filled. I hooked one up and ran the furnace and the line and the regulator froze. Whats up with that?

the regulators on 20 lb lp tanks are not meant for high use appliances such as larger heaters. I don't know the output of your furnace is though. I know that my neighbor's torpedo heater will not run long on a 20 lb tank before the regulator freezes. It will run the entire tank out with a 100 lb tank and the larger regulator.

DEREK i dont have one now but they will start like august with a 600 watt core plug heater those work very well at 20 below melt snow off the hood.ALSO another old trick put one amp battery charger on all night

A single stage (old Style) regulator can freeze in cool high humidity conditions. Most newer RV use a 2 stage regulator.

Check engine oil COLD.

A plugged PCV will cause oil to blow out of the dip stick and every questionable gasket.

local rv shops told me that the single stage propane regulater is not legal for them to install on a rv of anytype anymore

Plugged PCV will blow oil past rings. remove it, clean it with carb cleaner (put it in a small can, and spray it with carb cleaner, shake it around.

22R should be using at least 10w30 (do NOT use 5w30) - as other mentioned, 10w40, 20w40 or even straight 30w will cut consumption, depending on outside temperature ( NOTE 5w30 is very popular for the last 10 years. make sure your not using it)

check engine oil cold (or wait as long as you can after shutdown), engine should NOT be running when checking oil. wipe the dipstick clean, reinsert fully, then pull back out.

throw a piece of cardboard on the ground and climb under the truck and see if you can see any oil dripping from anywhere.

Depending on how your regulator/hose is connected, a small amount of frost on the hose and regulator may be normal after a fillup or when first running the system after its been shut down for a long time. When the propane changes from liquid to a gas, it can get very cold.

If you have a single stage regulator, consider upgrading it to a two stage.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto