Pros and cons with replacing the marine battery with Optima gel?

MontereyDave

I've had good experiences with sealed Optima gel batteries in the engine compartments of several vehicles so I'd like to replace the marine battery that runs the camper appliances. Do you guys know any reasons why I should or should not do so?

Thanks, Dave

i have heard the older converter chargers are better suited to normal flooded batterys they can boil the battery if left on to long. if you have one of the new high tech chargers should be ok.

on that i could not say i buy my batterys at les schab. but i know people have had problems at the walmart here anyway i run a standerd group 27 flooded deep cycle rv not boat.

thank you too i want to put an optima in my car next time never had one my dolphon is allorg also 1987 it is my seventh toyota had three trucks two moterhomes 2 cars enjoy.

I've had Optima in a car, an SUV and a similar gel battery made by Duralast in another car and they've always been strong reliable and maintenance free. Perhaps a little lighter as well and I'm always looking for ways to reduce weight in my Toyota motorhome.

Costco used to sell optimas.

I think you will find that however long an optima lasts... a costco battery lasts longer.

An agm battery is definitely better if it vents to any part of the cabin you sleep in.

I believe an 88 has the updated charger.

Charging any deep cycle with a 3 amp charger is an exercise in futility in most situations.

Have a look at these batteries:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

I use one in my kids ride on toy (the smallest 12V one), it has been abused for 3 years now, works 100%

I'm thinking of using these from now on. (I am using optima in my DD and love them)

those look great never heard of that name thanks. I doubt any 1988 or older would be high tec mabe by 1991 i dont know myn is not but still works ok .

Maybe there are some regulating screw/pin settings on your charger to reduce the voltage?

And what happens when one replaces a wet battery w/ a gel one in engine compartment in terms of the stock alternator/charging unit? Are those type of starting gel batteries designed w/ this in account? What is the difference in full charging voltage? I see on my Solar Charge unit it has a switch for gel/lead. The gel being less. And are AGM batteries to be charged the same voltage as wet?

Maybe there are some regulating screw/pin settings on your charger to reduce the voltage?

And what happens when one replaces a wet battery w/ a gel one in engine compartment in terms of the stock alternator/charging unit? Are those type of starting gel batteries designed w/ this in account? What is the difference in full charging voltage? I see on my Solar Charge unit it has a switch for gel/lead. The gel being less. And are AGM batteries to be charged the same voltage as wet?

I was unsure with my first Optima for an 06 Mustang GT so I asked the Autozone technician to install it and he simply disconnected the original battery and hooked up the Optima gel and it has worked perfectly since then. After that I had the confidence to do the install myself in our 2000 Lexus RX300 and our 88 Toyota Winnebago. They must be designed for direct swaps with conventional batteries.

Have a look at these batteries:

http://www.odysseyba.../batteries.html

I use one in my kids ride on toy (the smallest 12V one), it has been abused for 3 years now, works 100%

I'm thinking of using these from now on. (I am using optima in my DD and love them)

Thanks, Bunneys. That Odyssey battery looks impressive. In my case the nearest dealer is a couple hours away but it just might be worth it.

AGM batteries have a different float voltage requirement 13.5v, than a flooded cell (lead/acid) battery 13.2v.

You should have the proper charger if you switch over. An AGM also charges faster at a lower voltage than a Lead/Acid.

The Optima is really just a flooded lead acid with spiral wound lead plates. If you are using it to start the truck you need a standard battery not a deep cycle. If you are looking for one for the coach then you need a deep cycle.

Definitely an agm battery. They have deep cycle and starting versions, but actually all optimas are both agm and deep cycle, even the ones not called deep cycle.

They have 3 colors.

thats why i dont have one in my 2004 dodge car about double the money. for myself i would not put one in my moterhome. and if your buying the deep cycle you should have a newer type converator even the older bench chargers i have are not recomened for agm batterys.

im curious what about charging the agm battery only with the alternator, does it have a problem with alternators?

not that id buy one im pretty set on costco batteries but for academic purposes or installing under the bench seat.

im curious what about charging the agm battery only with the alternator, does it have a problem with alternators?

not that id buy one im pretty set on costco batteries but for academic purposes or installing under the bench seat.

AGM or conventional flooded-lead-acid deep-cycle batteries do not charge "perfectly" with an auto alternator.. Auto alternators use voltage-control, whereas AGMs and deep-cycle do best with current-control. It is not a huge issue and an auto alternator works well enough while on the road and travelling. When home or parked where AC grid-power is available - the coach batteries should be hooked to a proper charger for AGMS and/or deep cycle batteries if you want the most life out of them. There are ways to work-around the problem but I don't regard the added expense as worth the bother. You can build or buy a "battery to battery" charger to the cranking batteries get charged one way, and the coach batteries another.

AGM battery charging: Bulk charge – 13.8-14.4 volts, Float charge – 13.2-13.5 volts Equalize - Charge @ 15.5 volts for 8 hours - BUT - many companies that make and/or sell AGMs say NEVER to equalize.. Gel batteries the same but NO equalization for any I've ever heard of.

Flooded lead-acid deep cycle battery – 14.8 volts bulk, 13.2 volts float. Equalize at 15.5 volts.

A typical auto alternator seeks to raise the any battery to 14.8 volts as fast as possible.

These guys make some serious stuff. Have a read.http://www.hellroaring.com/index.php