The Problem: I would hear a bearing noise at 60-65 mph in 3rd gear (auto) and 45-50 mph in 2nd gear. If I went faster the noise went away. Felt it was a bearing on one of the accessories or one of the idler pullys. Figured I would change the easiest one - the idler pulley on the power steering belt. However - when i went to the Toyota dealer - they only stock the the whole unit (not just the pulley or the bearing) at a cost of $200. Local autoparts stores did not carry the pulley either.

The Fix. With a 14 mm socket - you can take the pulley off the bracket. Using tools around the house (two 2x4s, large socket, and a rubber mallet - you can pop the bearing out of the pulley).

Buy this bearing from Amazon for $12.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o05_s00_i00

Using the above tools - plus some grease and a big c-clamp - carefully press the bearing back into the pulley.

Reinstall the pulley.

Problem fixed.

Removing the old bearing it doesn't matter which part of the bearing you apply the force to, but on install be sure to apply the force to the race that's being pressed to, so the force isn't applied via the rolling elements of the bearing. The bearings can be easily damaged by doing that, flat spots on the elements and/or the races. 1/2 in drive sockets or short peices of pipe also work well.

I used to put the engine cases in the oven @ 350 and the bearings in the freezer when I was working on motorcycles. That way sometimes they could be pushed in by hand

vanman

I first looked on the other toyota truck websites (truck only - not motorhome) and found the dimensions. When I got the bearing out, I checked its model number online to verify the dimensions. It is a standard bearing (6204) - you can get them at local autoparts shop, but they were quoting me from $25-$30 dollars for the bearing and I already was ordering $50 bucks worth of stuff from Amazon, so shipping was free.

Vanman makes a great point. You do need to get the socket/pipe to be pushing against the race, not the middle part of the bearing. Search on line for how to install a bearing if you have not done it before.

Edited by dolphindriver

i have done this job all the bearings i have seen have numbers on them i just go down to a bearing shop and they can cross reference what you need . take it with you and match it up.

A 6204 is a fairly standard drive end bearing for an alternator most auto parts stores should have them .

Don't forget McMaster-Carr as a place for parts and stuff. A 6204 Double sealed is $8.72.