Full LED toy home

stamar

ok well i installed my marker lights.

they are slightly brighter than the ones they replaced.

they definitely change the color of the wedge especially the amber ones become yellow.

other than that, they work well.

in this setting a strip of smds would work much better than the ones i got as there is no light at all leaving the enclosure from the side ( i noticed this AFTER taking them apart because they apear to let light out of the sides, however they do not at all. so 4 of the 5 smds on this bulb do almost nothing.

the single smd going out though is still a touch brighter than the whole bulb it replaces.)

heres pictures. not exciting. i recomend in retrospect getting the warmer color ones to keep the orignal color more. mine change to yellow and pinkish

however im quite happy to have sometihng close to 5 amps saved just from the 12 bulbs. thats the best 15$ Ive spent so far.

TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE using rounded amp and watt usage rates replacing 10 marker lights( i only replaced 10 of 12) produced more power when the engine is running at night than a 125 watt solar panel does at peak!!!!!

and thats being generous and no one needs to correct it. and thats watts you can count on whereas no one has ever gotten rich counting on sunlight in portland.

for$15 you cannot lose. In fact go get some that are cheaper with 1 smd.

263608_466028930099754_1347159981_n.jpg196318_466029266766387_557142877_n.jpg

21685_466030486766265_268185897_n.jpg

pics show one bulb replaced with led next to the OG incandescent.

you can see, its a little brighter, its a different color. the red one is in the middle the amber one on the edge.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have in my hands now two amber parking lights, 12 smd waterproof amber for the front, and 2 brake lights ordered from china in white on their way.

I need 3 more 194 bulbs to cover the marker lights and the license plate.

I need two tail lights in red ( I like the red color more than pink all things being equal)

and then I will call it done.

You can also replace the front amber turn signals in the bumper, and the back up lights. however those are only going to be using power when you are using them. how often do you back up or turn?

I want to collect the data on the bulbs needed for a direct link for someone shopping for all of them. the back ups are your straight 1141 bulbs. i have no idea on the turn signal bumpers yet if someone knows the og bulb number of those please speak up i might not ever bother to look.

Not enough of a "color" concern IMHO for all of the fuss made here on color analysis....lol Nice work!

I should post a pic of my cool white SMD stick on flat panel at night shining through an amber filter.

I should note that the one I am using for my porch light isn't water proof; I just caulked the heck out of the enclosure.. I had missed a spot and it filled with water one time; at that time it wouldn't work. I let it drain and re-caulked and its been fine ever since.

Yeah i am thinking a stick on solution would look quite nice in these. for a buck.change I cant go wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-12V-LED-9-12-24-SMD-Universal-T10-BA9S-Festoon-Reading-Adapter-panel-Lights-/330826402354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=540109331331&hash=item4d06ca4a32

i'll prolly go with these (the 9 count). man at that price who cares if they dont work. will keep original Bargman enclosures and permanently caulk em.

i recomend those ones over the ones i got. get a strip pointed out.

i got the 5 smd ones here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251184751220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

they shipped very fast vs china was my logic and the price was close. I got these in 4 days cali to oregon.

however for the marker lights the 4 smds pointed out are pointed at solid plastic not clear like it apears. I recomend either single smd bubls or a strip with adapter like that one.

I recomend warm yellow.

I ended up order 10 more leds from ebay.

It doesnt work to direct link winning bids but what I did was play the game with the chinese merchants and put lowball bids on a lot of leds.

i ended up with a lot of good deals, like leds for 50c shipped.

I got the 2 tail lights i needed in red for 80c each.

I got a lot of blue led smd strips that ill use for actual map lights and some more interior lights. also Ill use them for the 2 spots im mising in my marker lights, I decided to do the middle one on each side in bright blue.

and I got a random white smd strip for another interior light. When all these arrive Ill try to picture them but i am beyond done and complete foir the led project. I will make one post or even make it my signature with all the bulbs and stuff, the cheapest ones.

Ill share these ones cause they are pretty cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221134886638?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

the other deals I got by actually bidding 75c on all the ones on ebay. the cheapest ones they let go all seem to be blue led smd strips and it just so happens that all of the remaining lights I have I dont care if they are blue or that actually sounds good. blue map lights for both my cars sounds good.

I got a green one too the one color I didnt try was purple I didnt find a cheap purple 1141 bulb if someone runs across one for less than 2$ let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it matters pretty much none of these lights are available at a local retailer near you.

I actually found 1141 amber parking lights at autozone at two for 16.50. The quality was way lower than the same thing I got from china for two for 3.60. I ended up using them in the front parking lights but I'm considering throwing them away and ordering two more from china.

If for some reason you can't. Put it together to order something online .... for whatever reason I dont understand and please don't tell anyone about it... you're out of luck. This is where you get led lights. The end.

I couldn't even recomend us drop shipment sellers who sell leds for 3 times as much, like the ebay seller I bought my marker lights from.

Thheyre getting old worthless crap the chinese don't want. Hook up directly to someone in hong kong or its a waste of money. Get the real thing tail lights made this week in china that work

i must say this

http://www.ebay.com/...d=390505537475

is the best deal in the world.

sell lots of 10 for 10 back on ebay even advertise as sold from america..... make millions.

the lights are 5 pointing out perfect for market lights. some in yellow some in red.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item99b1128ebd

on the other hand gettting just the 10 you want for 5.30 seems smart.

also those bulbs are all pointed out probably brighter than the ones i used. also this is pretty much the best seller

or order this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-T10-1210-4-SMD-LED-Wedge-Car-Light-Bulbs-Lamps-168-194l-Indication-White-Red-/390502214636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item99b1124ea6

and ask for 5 red and 5 yellow.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, 200 lumens / watt by Cree http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/12/30/0338234/cree-introduces-200-lumenwatt-production-power-leds

Maybe the stock alternator is plenty big enough.

PDF from them, very informative; http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/XLamp%20Application%20Notes/LED_color_mixing.pdf

I am a 5000 and up cool white guy myself

vanman

Yeah Cree broke the 200 lumens barrier a little while ago hope the costs will come down fast then I'll be replacing a bunch of CCFL's. I like the warmer 3500 stuff they are not as bright but some how more relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about 12 LED, I;m using them for general lighting requirements dome lights, range exhaust light.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I just bought 10 more of the 36 LED lights.

e-bay LED lights

I have a couple more places I'm going to install them.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I just bought 10 more of the 36 LED lights.

e-bay LED lights

I have a couple more places I'm going to install them.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks Waiter, I just order two of these!

Question: what do you do with the lense covers? mine one the Itasca are "very frosted" and will block lots of light. I have been looking for clear ones without luck. Or I may get rid of these lense cover but don't want to expose bare LED with the reflector and other electrical stuff. Advise please.

I think you put them in the frosted lens....waiter and I have clear lens but my friends sunrader has the white frosted lens so I know what you mean. I believe that is just old tech to make the color cooler.

Seeing as the linked leds are still cooler than incandescent already the light will be cooler. The leds point down so the reflector is now pointless....

Id want to keep the stock look regardless.

I think getting 4 interior lights is ideal, the rest you can just leave incandescent and try not to use.

I went a little weird and I also have four multi colored ones, I have blue green and red for a disco party someday. But I have four just like that and that's all I use

Nam - Try and use your lens covers anyway. They shouldn't block a lot of light, they should just make it more diffused. I believe you'll be happy with them.

If your replacing broken or missing covers, I have seen them on some of the RV suppliers sites, maybe google "RV interior light covers"

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

one great thing about the "frosted" or opaque covers is that you can easily slip a yellow transparent cellophane in. The color is instantly warm; yet your bulbs were far cheaper.

And before anyone lectures me on spectrum I have posted pictures before; it works.

Thank you all, I'll give it a try when the product arrives. I was thinking of cutting the area where the LEDs occupy but will try with it first and see.

312418_483037365065577_1407374727_n.jpg

heres some various leds.

I also got two amber leds from autozone for 17.50

I must say first of all that the brightest ones are the two small ones. The dimmest ones were the autozone ambers I got for 17.50. They were also the only ones that werent waterproof strangely enough, big holes in them to short out.

all of these lights cost 80c to 160 c from a couple different vendors

the two small ones are actually a red and a green light im using for the .... I guess they would be called den map lights in the coach.

the most impressive ones are the 80c brake lights. Great stuff.

All of these are great except for as I said the autozone ones. Currently used for front parking lights.

these are ALL one hundred percent white leds with a colored filter.

a couple are red a couple are amber but they are all white leds. the only purpose to getting them to match the color you are replacing is to keep the color closer to stock they will not use any less power than red leds

* they will use 90 percent less power than incandescent ones and they will last forever.

im connsidering buying multiple sets of the marker and tail lights maybe enough for about 4 vehicles.

I never got any input from owners of non dolphins as to whether or not they have some different lights.

because Im going to start trying to buy and sell toyhomes Im just going to do it to all of them. Ill sell them all as full led upgraded toyota home.

at full retail the current price for 12 marker lights in red and amber, 2 tail, 2 brake, 2 amber front parking lights and 4 interior lights is 21$

I can sell the whole set on ebay as sold in america tested whatever for 50$ maybe. full led toyhome set with instructions. If rv people are throwing down 100$ for just the marker lights in rv stores

I think if someone was shopping for leds

and wants the best price and the newest leds

http://stores.ebay.com/Automotive-Electronic-Equipment?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

this is the highest volumn direct from china source. for an amount for an individual

these prices are often below wholesale and all the leds Ive gotten were modern.

Ive gotten lower prices too for mass produced tail lights but overall I think people want to consolidate and other than shopping this is the most useful link for auto led lights.

i only ended up using a few from this source I dont think I even linked them.

You are right. I soldered these new LED wafers in, left the original lense cover in place and they work perfectly.

Color temp: same as the old 1141, may be just a little cooler

Heat: just barely warm to touch...not much

Light output: very comparable to the old 1141. In fact, without looking at the lights, it's hard to tell these are LED

Power consumption: 3.6W compared to 1141's 19W

Conclusion: way to to! thanks everyone for sugggesting this

Nam - Try and use your lens covers anyway. They shouldn't block a lot of light, they should just make it more diffused. I believe you'll be happy with them.

If your replacing broken or missing covers, I have seen them on some of the RV suppliers sites, maybe google "RV interior light covers"

JOhn Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I put them in without soldering anything,

I just twisted one end of one of the attachments into each part of the socket.

So you have a 80 percent savings. Thank you for sharing

My particular set up I have four like we have. I also have some smaller ones including those little tail lights I've pictured.

Someone will get fancy and create a dimmer for the lights so all of them are basically super lights bright or low power. I won't get into it until its a plug in solution.

This project is as simple as it gets really and id like to do it to one of my interior liights , the one over the bed.

Most useful upgrade I can think of iif you don't plug your toyhome in is led lights. Either that or get some aa battery operated ones, they toyhome comes stock with some really dumb lights for battery operated life.

I kind of feel the same way about the battery powered furnace except I don't have a cheap solution for it.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/170626802581?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

this seems like you just put one wire to the lights fuse on the converter box and one wire to ground and it should work.

http://www.ledssuperbright.com/led-dimmer-switch-12v-p-123/gclid/CPOXsaf9_bQCFW6CQgodlg8AUQ

this one seems exactly right but then again it seems over priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-8A-LED-Light-Dimmer-Brightness-Adjustable-Bright-Controller-Switch-Sensor-DC-/400370871137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d37f6ab61

now were talking here. What Im wondering is if this in the line could actually make our leds brighter or just dimmer.....

In my case, I do not have any other choices but soldering the wires in place of the 1141's sockets since these L.E.Ds did not come with the right sockets; however, I'd solder them anyway...a little more reliable in my opinion and there are plugs so in case these lights goes out, replacing is plug-n-play :)

I did run into another electrical problem last weekend when i noticed that the 15A fuse for tail, instrumental, and marker/clearance lights keeps on blowing out after about 5 minutes of turning on the lights. Hooking up the AMP meter showing current drawing of 9.6A through the fuse. I don't know why the fuse blows when it's only 2/3 of rated load. Any idea?

I can't drive the Toy home anywhere since there is no tail lights for time being :(

With the effort to reduce power consumption, I am think about this for dual element tail/brake lights (1157). What do you think? any better suggestion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-13-LED-1157-BAY15D-Car-SMD-White-Tail-Brake-Light-Bulb-N98B-/380559613972?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item589b1ee014

Worst case I could solder two of those 36-SMD LEDs I used for interior in place since I have about 6 extra

Battery power furnace?

I spent a cold night in San Francisco right under the Golden Gate Bridge with all the old interior light bulbs and had the furnace on all night without draining out the battery so I don't think it's too bad. Just the blower/motor that sucks electricity, the heat is on propane.

Now with more LED interior lights, I think the battery may last one more day :) will see

I put them in without soldering anything,

I just twisted one end of one of the attachments into each part of the socket.

So you have a 80 percent savings. Thank you for sharing

My particular set up I have four like we have. I also have some smaller ones including those little tail lights I've pictured.

Someone will get fancy and create a dimmer for the lights so all of them are basically super lights bright or low power. I won't get into it until its a plug in solution.

This project is as simple as it gets really and id like to do it to one of my interior lights, the one over the bed.

Most useful upgrade I can think of if you don't plug your toyhome in is led lights. Either that or get some aa battery operated ones, they toyhome comes stock with some really dumb lights for battery operated life.

I kind of feel the same way about the battery powered furnace except I don't have a cheap solution for it.

Nam, Those look like they will work. For $1.67, what the heck, give it a shot.

On mine, I found the sockets were intermittent and unreliable, so I opted to buy 36 LED panels from Superbright LEDs. and solder them in rather than use the socket. ( I think they were about $10 each, needed four of them)

Important, Regardless of what LED you decide on, you will probably need to do something with the turn signal flasher. Most flashers have a sensing circuit in them, and if they detect that one of the lights is burn't out, the flasher goes into a fast flash mode, blinks real fast when a bulb is burnt out.

When you run LEDs, these draw significantly less current, and the flasher may think you have a burnt out light, and blink fast.

Look at this link, Scroll down near the bottom of the first post. If you have this model flasher, you can modify the flasher to blink slow with the LEDs.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto