Full LED toy home

stamar

yeah I'm gonna bandwagon these for marker lights I think and try them also. I can tell by that pic that will work just fine; looks just like my porch light. need SMD bulbs for tail lights now..

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-T10-194-168-W5W-921-White-BULB-5-5050SMD-LED-White-leds-194-5SMD-W-/261125434674?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item3ccc49ed32

here we go these are the same thing, and have more light. get these not the warm white although it makes very small difference

Waiter is indeed correct.

The LEDs themselves produce different colors by varying the die and the wavelength of the LED.

From this link: http://autolumination.com/colors.htm

"The die is a small cube of semiconductor. The composition of the die determines the color of the light given off."

"LED colors are often specified in "nm", or nanometers, which is the wavelength of the light."

no in this case all of the leds are white and the color difference is a lens. you are talking about a different purpose to leds than auto lights.

ignore for a moment that led lights can be made to be different colors ( because none of these are) and concentrate more on, if they were all the same except for the color which one would you use. ( because they all are the same except for the color) and you have the more relevant information you need, ala what bulbs to put on your toyhome. And the other information that does not apply to the bulbs you can put on your toyhome. Ignore that stuff.

ya these bulbs say 360 lm. whether theres a source that tells us the brightness of the 194s they are replacing or not....

I bet they are something like 4 times as bright. my new interior leds are 300 lm and they are really bright. you should be able to read off them

You get the three paragraph version of what took me 6 years to learn

Take note of the numbers on the bottom of the graphs, this is the wavelength in "Nanometers"

We use a term called "Area under the Curve" when computing power, its exactly what it says, . if you compare the area under the curves, you'll get a feel for how much power it takes for the different methods of illumination.

post-4544-0-44311400-1352843381_thumb.jp

1) This is what the human eye can see, notice its very sensitive to green Average around 400 to 700 nanometers, with peak sensitivity around 550 nanometers.

post-4544-0-68275800-1352843327_thumb.gi

2) I like this chart, it compares incandescent with florescent. Look at the area under the curve for the two incandescent. They are emitting light from 450nm all the way up to 1000um Your eye can't see most of the light emitted, (and this doesn't include the light that is emitted in the far infrared in the form of heat)

notice the florescent light has a higher peak power, but the lines are very narrow, and the area under the curve is significantly less than the incandescent.

This is why florescent seem to put out a lot of light, but use less energy. (very narrow band, and its all in the human eye visible range)

post-4544-0-17924800-1352843350_thumb.jp

3) This is a chart of several LEDs, including a broadband white (it seems like its a cool white)

Again, notice how the whites area under the curve is significantly better than the incandescent bulbs, but not as good as the single color LEDs

CONCLUSION, If your looking for max efficiency are interested in single color only, then go with single color LEDs.

Most (I would say all) LEDs used in automotive for RED or AMBER are single color. This is NOT to say that you could not use a white LED in this application, its just you will not get as much light out of it per unit power input that you would get if you used a single color LED.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

ok thats fine

show me 194 bulbs in red using red led elements. direct link

these particular ones are all white with different color lenses.

you believe a red led will use less power. however all of the 194 bulbs i see seem to be these exact same white leds with a different lens.

I can see the lens on top of the smd. Actually all of the ones with visible smds are white with a lens on top

These ones on the other hand have the litle bulbs that are clear you can't see anything.

Imo all of the lights you can buy are the same but I can't be certain.

All leds used for the purpose of producing visible light are white. The red or green leds are what used in a computer for an on off switch or a the equivlent to a neon sign.

All of the products we have linked including waiters wedges are white leds with a colored lens.

If a red led consumes less power than a white one of the same output, and it shows us the statistics it uses, then we could see if such a thing exists. But actually all the red ones that show us the statustics come up with the same usage as the white ones.

Its my opinion that no such thing exists for sale, an automotive light in red that consumes less power than a white lled light.

ok thats fine

show me 194 bulbs in red using red led elements. direct link

Here's your direct link:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/199/

A 194 automotive wedge bulb in whatever color you want, including RED!

Scroll down and you will find a chart with the various wavelengths and intensities of the LEDs in their various colors.

And another thing the ones you linked have a 12 lumen rating but the ones I linked hve a 360 lumen rating

so they are actually not even useful for toyhomes. They are more likely for in dash usage or check engine lights.

I just have to watch long term babbling the only purpose of this is direct links to things you can buy.

That example shows that all of the colors consume the same amount of power.

So it shows white leds with different collor lenses. Its also not correct it would not light up the running or marker lights enough.

It would consume very little power though.

This discussion is over I'm sorry. Please keep your opinions to yourself I'm dealing with some confused people.

If someone has a link to any data that shows a red led uses less power than a white led in a bulb that can be purchased for your car id be interested in seeing it. It seems to me that 99 percent of all of the auto leds for sale are white leds with colored lenses over them.

Keep in mind when you look at lumens, you also need to look at radiation angle. the wider the angle, the less the lumens (The light is spread out over a wider area). Also consider that lumens is corrected for the human eye wavelength sensitivity.

If your looking at an application like a running light or a tail light, consider the narrowest angle, but you need to make sure the light is aimed correctly.

If your just want to plug something into the existing socket, look around at different LED configurations to see which way the LEDs are aimed, try and optimize the best you can.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Stamar - the link that shim-n-bucket provided lists 8 different type LEDs.

The first three are wideband white, and the last 5 are narrow band color.

You can see the difference based on how they specify the color, the widebands are measured in " Kelvin" color temperature. the narrowband LEDs are measured in the spectral output frequency, as indicated in wavelength = nano meters.

These are industry wide specifications. trust me on this, I've been doing this for 40 plus years, so I have an idea what I'm talking about.

If you would like to read up a little more. I thought I seen a similar link, but this one has further reference. Very good read on everything you ever wanted to know about LEDs but were afraid to ask.

http://www.gizmology.net/LEDs.htm

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Looking at all this I'm really glad we got a generator on our Dolphin. I will replace the headlamps to a bulb type, for easy changing and brighter. Those LED driving lamps looked great till I saw the price. H4's for me, same as my motorcycles and vans.

vanman

Vanman,

I was wondering when someone was going to say that :-) for the price of LED headlamps, I could buy a very good generator, and then be able to use it for stuff other than driving at night.

Give the LED headlamps a few years, the price will come down.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm looking at just the bulb replacement .

Could not get a direct link in time to red leds that are bulb 194 compatible

I don't actually see the amount of power that could be saved in theory.

I'm looking at just the bulb replacement .

Could not get a direct link in time to red leds that are bulb 194 compatible

I don't actually see the amount of power that could be saved in theory. You insinuate that a white led uses three times the power.

All of these ones usinng the square smd have a round space for the lens.

Who died and left the keys to the castle to you? This is an open Forum. If you've a mind to rant and insult people, I suppose it might be acceptable in the 'Vent' section.

Who on earth asked you your opinion ? Who asked you to moderate. I didn't

I'm working on something more direct, all the bulbs to buy for a toyhome. I created the thread for what I discovered.

I ask politely not to include your opinions and theories on electrical stuff to everyone its

counter productive,

So make another thread for whatever else, I'm very narrow and focused exclusively on bulbs for sale for the toyhome.

I turn your question on you derrck who asked you what you think?

I'm positive its you who are being rude and are out of touch with the subject, and id ask you just to read.

There's an open forum for discussion of opinions, but this thread is not for the discussion of opinions.

This thread is for direct links of things you can buy and side tracking to kind of electronics has been really counter productive.

This is the thread I started so I am steering it, and politely too I might add.

I don't want to sift through this thread when I'm done looking through articles on led light spectrum.

I'm way more game to intellectualize than most people but the only thing I'm looking for is direct links to bulbs to buy.

Anything else needs its own thread. This is the led toyhome thread.

At this point in time its 194 bulbs. There's some compelling data that red bulbs use less power than white bulbs, but no links to red 194 bulbs that use less power at this point.

Or amber ones. It is not ready for prime time data actually.

The square smds we see on our dome lights all have a round circle in them for the lens, they are all white leds with a colored lens.

I know I have two kinds of them now.

The 194 bulbs I linked are exactly the same thing. If there's a bulb that's just as bright in red for sale that uses half the power direct link it now and I will possibly buy it and let you all know.

Otherwise there is no data just a theory.

If I end up buying all white leds but later its proven red leds use less power ill correct that part.

I would like to give a short review because it suprised me.

My 48 smd cool white dome lights are not as bright as my 36 smd warm white dome lights.

I use a non scientific method of putting a book on the floor under each one, then I turn each one on and see whicj light covers more area.

I have no explanation for this as they are from the same source and cool white should be brighter and it has more smds, and it cost more.

It is similar but less bright. I will leave it off the final list of bulbs to buy.

Will you please just buy the #$^% LED's and shut up it is not difficult there are dozens of sellers pick one. The www is a wonderful thing use it. Expert advice has been offered to you, you chose not to use it God gave you two eyes two ears and one mouth for a reason.

Stamar;

I don't actually see the amount of power that could be saved in theory.

A 194 incandescent bulb from Dons Bulbs uses about 0.27 amps

the LED replacement bulb from Superbright LEDs uses about 0.026 amps (10 times less)

If you decide on the LED replacement, look carefully at the physical size, color, and brightness to make sure they will meet your requirement.

Keep us posted on your findings as other that read this thread may also be interested in your research.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

According to the numbers on super bright, all of the bulbs they sell use the same amount of current or amps

And the brightest colors are white. These are all the same ones they sell on ebay from china just three times as expensive. The data is nice though from the site,

its possible wled means white led. Wide band led? They are all wleds, all the same.

Whatever it is I'm getting the white ones with 360 lumins for 1:50 apeice. Because there's 12 'marker lights if someone discovers red ones that use less power ill order two more and maybe some red tail lights.

To the best of my knowledge no one has done this yet so it is new ground. Maybe a different assortment of stuff than when you did your lights,

I have only your posts to go on on this forum and you used the dome light things for tail lights, and not red ones either so were looking for red ones with the dual contact bayonet.

Technically, You cannot compare red and white brightness, there is no mechanism to do it. You can quantify how much RED is contained in a white light, but you cannot quantify how much WHITE is in a red LED ((Notice they specify brightness in "Lumens" for the white, and specify brightness as "Candella" for the red) Also missing in the equation is angle. (very important)

please read the link I provided earlier, Ignore the equations, just read the text under LED brightness.

If you have any further question, let me know and I'll do my best to explain it.

As for your particular application, buy whatever you think will work, keep us posted on your findings.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i went for these for the marker lights

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

even though i obviously noticed some moisture in the casing and these are obviously not weather proof.

i went for these for the brake lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280929967751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

2 of them and these i went with waterproof.

the first ones will be here saturday the others from china sometime in december

i actually already have some amber 1141 /1156 leds im using inside that are going to become front turn signals, in amber no less!

i would describe them as dim but well see.

then im at the majority of an led toyhome really. I think replacing the back up lights is overdoing it and the headlights are not yet cheap enough. my next thing will be to replace the actual map light with one of the led dome lights im already using for inside lights.