My wife thinks I'm crazy!

uthorns

I've been lurking on the board for weeks and learning about Toyota rv's. I think I'm ready to buy. I found '85 Dolphin that looks good but it's 1000 miles away. How many of you drove a great distance to get yours? Did you have trouble bringing it home? Did anyone drive a long way and then not purchase it? Also, it needs roof A/C and a new fridge but seems to me if I can get the price right that's not a bad thing. Is my wife right? Am I crazy?

I found our RV in San Diego's Craigslist one day. The next I was flying into the airport to pick it up sight unseen (other than the small Craigslist pics) I had been looking for around a year, and this one fit the bill perfectly! 1,500 miles later it was in my driveway and the wife still thinks I'm nuts :)

A.

1000 miles is a long way to travel for what is really not that expensive a purchase. I could see doing it if it was an absolutely felonious deal or if you were able to have someone you trust ceck it out for you before purchasing.

i drove 210 miles. I bought insurance anda moving permit before i even saw it. It had to run perfectly and be able to make it back or i would have backed out.

this time of year its hard to find them so i can see traveling.

the closest one to me right now is asking 8k for an 86. I couldnt pay that type of money.

oh i had to get insurance, because you need it for a moving permit.

theprevious owner didnt have a license and the tags were from 2010.

so the dmv gave me a 10 day moving permit because I had insurance for the vehicle.

I paid for it sight unseen cause i didnt have time to do it any other way, the rv was off in the boonies.

We bought our specifically to do an Alaska trip. You can see the blog at

ALASKA TRIP BLOG

I had looked at several, I was also monitoring E-Bay and Craigs list. I found my Toyhouse out in Albuquerque NM. I flew from Ohio to New Mexico.

Get a LOT of photos - I had the seller take pictures inside, outside, under, over, everywhere. I also had him send me a copy of the title (I did a CarFAX on it)

He was very forthcoming with information.

I then offered a $200 non-refundable deposit that I would inspect within a week. the $200 was for him to hold it for me, He could still show it to others, but I had first shot at it for next week.

I shopped around and found the least expensive one-way ticket I could find. The sellor picked me up at the airport.

I was fully prepared to walk away if I seen anything wrong. I had made plans to rent a car and go look at a couple more in Phoenix. and worst case, fly back home empty handed.

There were minor discrepancies, but the deal worked out. I gave him cash, he signed off on the title.

On the 1600 mile trip home, I ran into a couple minor things, New windshield wiper blades, and installed a new thermostat to solve a running cold problem.

I also stopped at one of the big RV parts places in Tulsa OK. I replaced one of the plastic roof vent covers that was broke. replaced the door window frame that was brittle and cracked (duct tape holding the glass in) I also bought a case of roof sealant. A visit to a local Big Box store, ladder, couple cheap paint brushes, Went around and sealed all the seams on the roof.

Basically, the 1600 mile trip gave me confidence in the Toyhouse.

We spent the next 6 months completely going thru it, upgrading painting, fixing, maintenance, etc. Total cost for all the upgrades, the Toyhouse, tires, brakes, and retrieving it was around $9,000.

Gud luck

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the info Waiter. My wife and I read your blog. We enjoyed your trip!

The motorhome is in Nebraska. It is listed on this sites classifieds if anyone wants to look and give me some help(opinions). Thanks

If you don't like to travel = don't buy a motorhome :lips-sealed: I drove 600 miles, to find my Toy, and then had to come back in 10days to pick up. Make you trip and adventure, but don't buy just because you drove a long way. Have FUN

I've been lurking on the board for weeks and learning about Toyota rv's. I think I'm ready to buy. I found '85 Dolphin that looks good but it's 1000 miles away. How many of you drove a great distance to get yours? Did you have trouble bringing it home? Did anyone drive a long way and then not purchase it? Also, it needs roof A/C and a new fridge but seems to me if I can get the price right that's not a bad thing. Is my wife right? Am I crazy?

The motorhome your talking about is not rare or hard to find. I would not travel that far for it. Have you been searching craigslist near you for one. Why don't you let us know just at least what state your in and maybe we can find something closer. New postings come up all the time. Fridge is a big expense and roof air too. Find something better.

LS

I'm in a big market(Dallas-Ft Worth) I guess I'm just not patient. Planning a fall trip and wanted time to get things ready. Guess the wife could be right again.

In another month lots of people will be done with their motorhomes and more will come on the market. They will be cheaper too the closer it gets to fall. Patience is a must for a the best deal

Linda S

I would say its september.

The demand hasnt really reached its top/

The biggest demand for the toy homes is the end of august, for burning man. All kinds of crap motorhomes sell before the summer is over.

Your wife is probably right. If i went a 1000miles it had better be right! From looking at campers I can tell you that some people lie lie lie. If you know the right questions you can narrow down a lot of baloney.

85 models are about the time of the rear axle debacle --- definitively read up on that.

Unless you live in very unpopulated part of the country you should be able to find some with 250 miles.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I gave up on traveling far. We decided on a '85 Sunrader that we had looked before it was fairly local (60 miles). We pick it up this evening and are so excited. I want to make some changes on the inside so I'm sure to need more help. I gotta get it ready for a fall trip to Arkansas!!