How do I remove the inside ceiling

I have a '91 Toyota Winnebago and the roof is sagging a bit especially around the air conditioner. I am considering reinforcing the roof rafters but hopefully without tearing out the entire interior. Does anyone have recommendations on how to remove the ceiling paneling and how to replace it with after reinforcing the ceiling rafters. I have searched the forums but can not find an answer.

Thanks...

I have a '91 Toyota Winnebago and the roof is sagging a bit especially around the air conditioner. I am considering reinforcing the roof rafters but hopefully without tearing out the entire interior. Does anyone have recommendations on how to remove the ceiling paneling and how to replace it with after reinforcing the ceiling rafters. I have searched the forums but can not find an answer.

Thanks...

Your ceiling panels are probably glued as well as stapled in place so when you remove them you'll probably destroy them. Be prepared to buy some new material and think about a way to install them. You can screw them, glue them or staple them or all three. What are you going to use for reinforcing material?

John

I had seen some post where they used 1X3 lumber and some posts where they used aluminum beams. I will have to check to see what is available and where I can buy them. Do you have any recommendation on the reinforcing material and what would I use for the ceiling panels once the originals are destroyed?

Thanks

Mike

There are several options for replacement materials for your ceiling. I'd check at Home Depot or Lowe's for thin paneling or 1/8" door skins. These two stores also carry some paneling that's got a white face on one side and is meant for use in shower stalls. Ask around in the store. Tell the sales person (the older the better) what you want to do. As far as the reinforcing material, it will depend on what the original stuff is.

Some people have had some success by just propping up the ceiling for a couple of weeks using a couple of 2 x 4's from the floor to a 2 x 4 laid flat along the ceiling. I'd try the prop method first before digging into the ceiling. Ceiling removal is a big, messy job that involves taking down the overhead light(s), the trim ring around the AC unit and the trim ring on any ceiling vent that's in the way. Since I am rarely anywhere that I can plug in to 110 volt power, I got rid of the sag in my '85 Dolphin's roof by getting rid of the roof air conditioner.

John

Trying to prop it up for a while sounds like a good idea to me or maybe a support that you can leave in place while driving and put out of your way when you need to. Removing the ceiling is a big job and if it is built like most of these Toys you will find that the whole roof/ceiling assy was all glued together before it way put on the house and the whole thing is about 1 inch thick so not much room for reinforcing,when i built the new roof for ours i was able to put 3/4x3/4 square tubing at the fore and aft framing of the A/C opening,but my roof/ceiling assy is total about 2 1/2 inches thick at the center and about an 1 1/4 inch at the walls.My original roof was so bad i cut it in half and took it to the dump. Not a project you want if you can avoid it. Don

The shower stuff is called FRP.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I pulled the air conditioner off the roof and replaced it with a Fan-Tastic vent. I jacked the roof up from the inside for awhile before installing the vent and the roof has recovered a bit. I figured that I rarely use it and if I travel to Arizona when it's hot, I will buy a small window unit. If anyone needs an air conditioner and lives near Albuquerque, New Mexico, please let me know.

Mike

Hi Mike, Actually, our 1988 toyota did not come with an air conditioner, I wonder how much it would cost to send to salem oregon? If you can tell me how much it weighs I could find shipping info if you'd be willing. I'm assuming it worked fine before taking it out. Thanks, Carol (campergal) newbie.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I pulled the air conditioner off the roof and replaced it with a Fan-Tastic vent. I jacked the roof up from the inside for awhile before installing the vent and the roof has recovered a bit. I figured that I rarely use it and if I travel to Arizona when it's hot, I will buy a small window unit. If anyone needs an air conditioner and lives near Albuquerque, New Mexico, please let me know.

Mike

JUST wondering if you guys know what those roof air units sell for new . they list in the rv catlogs for 1000 dollors. so a good used one is highly salable. HEAR in central washington state which can easy reach 110 deg cars and rvs mostly all have air.

I paid about $ 875 for mine brand new at a dealer on sale after seeing the used ones going for $600 + 100 shipping on ebay. Mine is a Coleman 13,000 btu something or other and is way overkill. I wish now I had held out for a slim profile one.