Fair price for 91' Winnebago?

LarryA

I sold my 88' Shasta last summer and I've been hunting for a V6 Toyhome. A dealership in my city has a 91' Winnebago in excellent shape with 88k miles. It's a V6 auto. The gelcoat is excellent and the cab can still take wax as well. The interior has a new toilet and is very clean with no signs of leaking anywhere. There are some old stickers on the exterior that may leave scars if I remove them. It does not have an oven but does have a microwave. There is also no ladder to the top and it appears that there never was one. This RV really doesn't need much at all. The dealership is asking $18, 995. I have them down to $14, 250 + tax which comes out to $16,077. This seems a little on the high side with the miles on it (88k). Just wanted to get some other opinions. I really miss my Toyhome but I don't want to be impatient and pay far too much for one. They have had the RV since last summer. I'm sure that the price is the only reason why it has not sold already.

Larry;

If you haven't done so, goto this thread and read about the first 10 entries.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4388

Winnebago is better quality than most of the other builders, AND - they are still in business. However, Your last sentence answered your question.

Goto them armed with all kinds of knowledge

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I realize that I am not going to get this RV for bottom dollar, after all it is at a dealership. I just don't want to pay far too much for it either. It seems to me that 88k miles is actually higher than normal for a Toyhome of this year.

A couple questions I had that someone might be able to help me with.

1. The A/C unit on the roof does not blow heat. My 1988 Shasta's A/C unit did. Is this optional?

2. How difficult is it to install a ladder on the back for roof access? Again, this is something that my 1988 had, but this 1991 Wiinebago does not have a ladder.

Thanks for your help, this board is a good find!!

I'm no A/C expert, but I feel safe saying that some could be equipped with an optional heat strip. I don't think it was a particularly high # of watts.

Something like this, perhaps:-

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc0b611ca

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/12/rv-ac-heat-strip

And if you really insist on making holes in your roof and back wall:-

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/09/rv-roof-ladder

IMHO - a 1991 for 14k, it better be immaculate with zero problems.

Heat strips are optional on some units, you need the model number.

As Derek found, ladders are available. I remind people that when you climb these ladders, keep your body as close to the ladder as you can. This will reduce the stress of the ladders pulling away from the back wall of the MH, and transfer most of the loads to the roof.

88k is a little high, make sure the recall has been complied with and the timing belt changed at 60k along with the valves adjusted.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Larry, was your Shasta a trailer?

If so, Why the change to a MH. My wife and I have this discussion occasionally regarding the pros/cons of a small trailer vs the Toyhouse.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I just checked Craigs list, searched the entire US for any Toyota RV with a price between $1,000 and $30,000. I told it I only want to see ads that have photos and only the ads from the last 5 days.

It returned about 50 Toyhouses that are for sale. The Highest price was a 1993 Winnebago ($14950) in the LA area.

93 Winni $14,950 in LA

92 Itasca $11,000 Macon GA

91 Winni $9,200 Denver

NOTE - I was reading the ad for the 91, says frig needs re-charging. This is probably a $600 item if the Ammonia boiler and cooling unit is bad.

II use a program called Craigslist Reader Pro , They have a Free version and a for sale version, I have both and this is probably the only time in my life that I prefer the Free version.

Download it at:

http://craigspal.com/

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John,

The Shasta was a Toyhome 21' 4cyl Auto with 53k miles. It was overall in very good condition. Wish I would have kept it now after shopping for the V6 models. I also have a nice 9' tent trailer, so I have that covered. I am in a rock band and the Toyhome comes in great for shows, storing gear, warming up before the shows without being interrupted, a quiet area to eat without 10 people wanting to talk to me. I use it for a changing room, and it's also nice to have my own bathroom. There is usually a line to the mens room and I hate wasting my break waiting in line, shaking hands with a bunch of guys that just used the toilet...... I also had my own drinks in the fridge. Getting service in some of the venues can sometimes be like pulling teeth.

Here is a link to the dealership in Western Washington. If it doesn't work try searching PaulsboRV in Mount Vernon Wa. Go to the used Class C section. It's the first RV to come up, listed at $18,995.

http://www.poulsborv...6R0&veh=2173593

They have had the RV since last summer, no lie. It is in great condition with no apparent problems. I really think $14,250 + tax is too high. If it had say 40K miles I might pay that. I had them down to $13,500 two months ago. I went beck in to buy t at that price knowing that I would be paying top dollar. Then they raised the price to $14,250. They had to put a toilet and rear brakes on it. They also stated that the $13,500 price was wholesale, which of course they never shared with me at that time. I have the money to buy a nice RV, but I'm not going to pay an outlandish price. I'm not a price buyer, I am a quality buyer. But I have to draw a limit on the price at some point.

I have looked at about 7 Toyhomes. Most of them have been the Seabreeze model. All but one was in far worse shape than I was told over the phone. I am not driving across the state to look at another RV. The Winnebago at Paulsbo s a super nice RV, they just want way too much for it. And it doesn't have an oven. I have never seen one without and oven. I enjoyed the oven in my last Toyhome. I like to warm up a blackberry pie after a day of fishing or biking.

Edited by LarryA

John,

The Shasta was a Toyhome 21' 4cyl Auto with 53k miles. It was overall in very good condition. Wish I would have kept it now after shopping for the V6 models. I also have a nice 9' tent trailer, so I have that covered. I am in a rock band and the Toyhome comes in great for shows, storing gear, warming up before the shows without being interrupted, a quiet area to eat without 10 people wanting to talk to me. I use it for a changing room, and it's also nice to have my own bathroom. There is usually a line to the mens room and I hate wasting my break waiting in line, shaking hands with a bunch of guys that just used the toilet...... I also had my own drinks in the fridge. Getting service in some of the venues can sometimes be like pulling teeth.

Here is a link to the dealership in Western Washington. If it doesn't work try searching PaulsboRV in Mount Vernon Wa. Go to the used Class C section. It's the first RV to come up, listed at $18,995.

http://www.poulsborv...6R0&veh=2173593

They have had the RV since last summer, no lie. It is in great condition with no apparent problems. I really think $14,250 + tax is too high. If it had say 40K miles I might pay that. I had them down to $13,500 two months ago. I went beck in to buy t at that price knowing that I would be paying top dollar. Then they raised the price to $14,250. They had to put a toilet and rear brakes on it. They also stated that the $13,500 price was wholesale, which of course they never shared with me at that time. I have the money to buy a nice RV, but I'm not going to pay an outlandish price. I'm not a price buyer, I am a quality buyer. But I have to draw a limit on the price at some point.

I have looked at about 7 Toyhomes. Most of them have been the Seabreeze model. All but one was in far worse shape than I was told over the phone. I am not driving across the state to look at another RV. The Winnebago at Paulsbo s a super nice RV, they just want way too much for it. And it doesn't have an oven. I have never seen one without and oven. I enjoyed the oven in my last Toyhome. I like to warm up a blackberry pie after a day of fishing or biking.

Larry A, just read about your wanting another M/H. I have a 93 Winnebago Warrior ( and it doesn't have an oven, just a 4 burner range top and Microwave where the oven normally goes). It is for sale for 14,995. It's an all origional coach with 18,711 mile (as of today) . All systems are origional and work just like they should. It has a factory equipped generator with 165 hours. Overall in very good condition. Interior fabric is in great shape. The carpet is average for a 19 year old coach. Has dinnet , jack knife couch and queen overhead. Seven new tires last summer. It is located in Tulsa, Ok. Email me at : alduck4753@gmail.com for more questions and pictures if interested.

I am on my 2nd warrior (note the itasca spirit is identical).

IF and & say IF everything is done mechanically & all appliances work very well - & IF you want it really bad it is an OK deal. You can do better.

Items to consider - brakes -- (rear brakes require pulling the axle - not a huge task)

It should have a new timing belt & valve adjustment - these are a little bit difficult because the timing belt has to go over to cams & the valve's use spacers. Due 60k - 75k miles.

Refrig - these are notorious for being abused - read up in appliances - if it dies not work well that will run 600-1000

Furnace, water heater, roof AC -- the appliances start adding up...

Check the plumbing carefully for leaks - check around the front window for signs of leaks.

Sounds like a nice unit - but I think it is at used car dealer pricing - too high. If they came down to 12-13 and if most of the things mentioned are not an issue I think you are getting to a fair deal

I sold my 88' Shasta last summer and I've been hunting for a V6 Toyhome. A dealership in my city has a 91' Winnebago in excellent shape with 88k miles. It's a V6 auto. The gelcoat is excellent and the cab can still take wax as well. The interior has a new toilet and is very clean with no signs of leaking anywhere. There are some old stickers on the exterior that may leave scars if I remove them. It does not have an oven but does have a microwave. There is also no ladder to the top and it appears that there never was one. This RV really doesn't need much at all. The dealership is asking $18, 995. I have them down to $14, 250 + tax which comes out to $16,077. This seems a little on the high side with the miles on it (88k). Just wanted to get some other opinions. I really miss my Toyhome but I don't want to be impatient and pay far too much for one. They have had the RV since last summer. I'm sure that the price is the only reason why it has not sold already.

They now have the 91 Toyhouse on Craigslist. I see they have lowered the asking price to $15,995. I'm still thinking about it. A woman from Arizona contacted me today with a very nice 94' Winne that is quite a bit nicer than this one that is for sale near my home.

Here is the link. 21 mpg???? What planet are these guys from? I barely get that with my 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma pickup. I find it amusing to see some of the mpg listings people give on the V6 models.

http://seattle.craig...2814210362.html

Edited by LarryA

I too have a hard time with claims of 20/mpg for any toy mh. Maybe downhill, tail wind, empty camper, almost empty gas tank, driver jockey size, outside temp below 70 degrees and a new perfect motor. Even with all of that I would need to see it myself. I believe 13-15 driving normal with hills, stop signs, traffic and all the goodies loaded including the wife, dogs, beer, fresh water, half-full holding tanks, generator, you get the idea. I also have to agree, any toy over 10,000 needs to be pretty special. You can do a lot of repairs and add a lot of toys for $6-8,000. Low mileage vehicles scare me, my worst buys were low mileage cars. Instead of wearing out they rotted away, hard to spot rot inside. Unless the mh was religiously driven to operating temperature on a weekly basis time takes a bigger toll than usage, at least that's been my experience. I am actually surprised at some of the high prices i see here for listed toys, when I looked and eventually bought there were quite a few under $6000, some under $4000. Perfect? No. But good enough to have lots of fun with and adding a few thousand addressed many of their short comings. I can see eventually spending 12-15,000 on one and having it just the way a person wants it. And of course there is the fun and satisfaction of restoring and having something that isn't that common. Maybe some of the pricey ones are those that have had a lot of money spent on them and the owners expect to get it back when they sell. My experiences tell me, even if you supply all the labor, getting your money back is not realistic. Using and enjoying it is the only way to get your money out of it. At least in my opinion. Good luck with the shopping and hope you find the perfect toy for you.

Yes I agree with both of these last posts. I'm not even going to entertain that dealership again if they call, which they do almost daily. I'll send them a link to this topic. Thanks again for all of your, I really appreciate it. I'm so glad I did my research and didn't jump the gun and buy it.

• 1 year later...

I just got mine '93 Toyobago Warrior with unique floorplan from Montana for $7800 and exported it to Canada, all and all it came out to 9000 with all import taxes. 133k and needs four new tires, no generator, everything else seems to be working. $15k is definitely overpriced, you never know how much you gonna spend down the road if something brakes. Overall got 11-12 mpg going 70 mph, rear tires at 40psi, was afraid to overinflate the old tires, all empty, some headwind and some hills. Is this ok mileage? Or is something wrong??

Found a 1991 winne 21ft with 92k for $8500. Vehicle located in Fayetteville NC. Posted on the Fayetteville CL. Unable to copy link with my phone. Looks good in the pictures.

Just wanted to get some other opinions. I really miss my Toyhome but I don't want to be impatient and pay far too much for one. They have had the RV since last summer. I'm sure that the price is the only reason why it has not sold already.

I paid $13,000 for a '92 Winnebago Itasca, 68K miles. Coach and appliances were in excellent condition, not a speck of rust on the chassis. What was needed, over a period of years was tires, suspension and brake work, timing belt, valve adjust and steering gear box overhaul. As well as the usual routine maintenance.

My rig is pushing 100K miles now and runs like a top. I don't feel I overpaid. But 20 year old motorhomes will all require attention no matter what you pay for them.

Sounds high to me. I've looked over a lot of 18'- 21' Toyota RVs and most had under 100K miles. I've seen many in good shape for $6000-$7000. I don't expect any of them to be "perfect" regardless of how advertised. Dealers are usually the highest from what I've seen.

I think it's way over the top too low mileage 93's might fetch 13K-14K That thing should be spit shined and absolutely ever thing there and working to perfection and maybe a driver so you can sit in the back and watch the ball game on the wide screen on your way to Florida.

A friend of mine has a 91 Winne-Toyota V6 for sale near him that looks pretty good. Asking price is $9500 but my friend says I could probably buy it for $8000. Still too much as far as I'm concerned but sure beats $14K. West cost of FL -in Punta Gorda. If it was $4000, I'd grab it.

"V-6 automatic, redone cab A/C. Mechanical: New brakes, new shocks & steering damper, orig. cruise cont. replaced with after market unit,excellent Bridgestone tires, New battery and alternator, two deep cycle house batteries, Exterior: new awning, new taillights, various new plastic parts, Decals removed and the box was painted. Interior: Lineoleum floor, honey shellacked birch paneling, new bath and shower. Approximately 130,000 miles. Runs great, good mileage. Call for more info. at 941-575-2527."

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/rvs/3468753983.html

post-6578-0-95061700-1360443408_thumb.jp

I forgot to mention the other 91 Winne Warrior for sale -also with a V6 and 73K miles on it. Price is $5000. Too bad this one isn't a little closer to my fiend's house. If $4000 and it runs good I'd be tempted to buy it. I assume needs a little work but I also assume they all do regardless of how advertised.

"RARE WINNEBAGO WARRIOR CLASS C MOTOR HOME A STEAL AT ONLY $5,000--I was getting this motor home ready to travel to nearby flea markets but my health changed dramatically so I cannot travel to work the flea markets now. This is a 1991 TOYOTA V6 AUTO CLASS C MOTOR HOME with only 73,000 original miles! It is a great vehicle for small family or couple to travel the country--gets great gas mileage averaging 14.5 miles per gallon. I have almost finished refurbishing it after it had been neglected for 3 or 4 years causing the gas to turn to pudding and the roof to collapse.

Had the engine completely refurbished and it runs great now! There was a small problem with the built-in computer causing the batteries to drain down when the vehicle was turned off, but put an on-off switch on the battery that prevents that problem and provides extra protection against theft. I have all the maintenance records so you can talk to my mechanic and rv technician to get more details on all the work I had put into it.

Had the roof re-built using 1" square steel beams--RV technician said I can square dance on the roof now (that would really be a sight!). After the roof was re-built, it still leaked a little around the roof-top air conditioner, but it has since been sealed--no leaking guaranteed! Had the floor re-inforced with plywood and re-carpeted throughout with medium blue carpet.

I am the third owner of the motor home and I have all the manuals and records of maintenance etc. Here's the rest of the features:

V6 with Automatic Transmission; New Tires, New Batteries. Full stand up shower and bathroom in rear with emergency window exit. Refrigerator runs on gas and electric. Hot water heater, inside heater, microwave, gas stove with 4 burners, television and VCR. Has roof Air Conditioner and front cab air runs real cold! Sleeps 5 adults or 4 adults and 2 kids--Dinnette makes bed, sleeps 2; Couch folds out to double bed, sleeps 2; Over cab bed sleeps 2. Has removeable sattellite radio in dash and speaker system throughout. Roll Out Awning is in like-new condition and runs most of the length of the camper. Also have spare tire and ladder on rear and trailer hitch.

These Classic motor homes sell from $8,000 to almost $14,000 on the internet so this Road Ready Motor Home is a steal at only $5,000!! I actually put more than $5,000 in it to fix it up for my personal use, but my circumstances changed so my loss is your gain. You can come see the Motor Home at Anthony's Consignment Center in Orange Park just South of the Orange Park Kennel Club on US 17. For more information, call Anthony's at 904-545-8303."

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/rvs/3508629836.html

post-6578-0-31917300-1360444183_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-24933700-1360444186_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-62240300-1360444188_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-95905600-1360444190_thumb.jp

I forgot to mention the other 91 Winne Warrior for sale -also with a V6 and 73K miles on it. Price is $5000. Too bad this one isn't a little closer to my fiend's house. If $4000 and it runs good I'd be tempted to buy it....

.....Had the roof re-built using 1" square steel beams--RV technician said I can square dance on the roof now (that would really be a sight!). After the roof was re-built, it still leaked a little around the roof-top air conditioner,

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/rvs/3508629836.html

Buy it! JD.

Bad roof for $5K, what's the problem?

You can flip it for the big bucks.

Buy it! JD.

Bad roof for $5K, what's the problem?

You can flip it for the big bucks.

Bad roof? He says it was fixed but have not seen it myself. Regardless even if fixed better then new- it's a $3500-$4000 RV to me.

I purchased my 93 Warrior last year for $14,000 with 38k in tip top shape, no oven but microwave and generator (no heat strip) - minimally camped in by the original owner. In Arizona they had initially asked $14.9 but I was able to bring it down because it needed the engine recall done which Toyota did at no cost. the tires have been fine, went to San Diego and got about 14 mpg carrying three people and supplies. Forgot to mention it came with an additional tank which is super nice for long trips.

I am VERY happy with my purchase even though it was at the high end. I think considering what is out there and the cost of gas, it was nice not having to do anything to get it road ready.

I am going to be getting new tires but figure that's a maintenance cost - the tires could probably go further but I want to be sure.

I like the warrior but I certainly like the sunrader more. If thats your dollar range I think you can get one of those volkswagen rialtas for that much.

I like the oddyssey americana more than the warrior also.

The main thing I dont like about the warrior, all other things being equal, and all other things are definitely equal as far as the truck part of the motorhome vs the year, is that a warrior has very small windows all over.

Even my older 85 dolphin has some huge windows on it. I dont know why warriors are made that way because everything else is top notch.

Id rather have a single peice like a sunrader, a bygone design a classic.

Or a huge heavy windowed thing like an oddyssey. I mean for over 10k definitely.

I would rather pay a little more for what I wanted. The premium price paid can be quickly forgotten but the "problematic" of a low priced RV can be a pain for the rest of your ownership.

With some patience and the willingness to travel plus some time invested, you will find a decent one. I have passed on some nice ones for under $10K here in Calif.

I would rather pay a little more for what I wanted. The premium price paid can be quickly forgotten but the "problematic" of a low priced RV can be a pain for the rest of your ownership.

With some patience and the willingness to travel plus some time invested, you will find a decent one. I have passed on some nice ones for under $10K here in Calif.

I'm sure there is the rare 20-30 year old Toyota RV that has been meticulously maintained by a mechanic-owner. Not common though and if somebody is not doing the work themselves and hiring out - the chances of such a vehicle is even rarer. When a vehicle is that old, there are many things ready to fail either due to wear or just age. Not too many people closely and frequently inspect their rigs and fix things before they break or fail. But yes, I know some do.

There are exceptions to everything (except the lack of exceptions?). I've done repairs on many high-priced RVs for customers and some needed just as many repairs as RVs selling at 1/3 the price. Especially the ones sold with a "rebuilt" engine or trans. Seems to be a lot of argument over what that word "rebuilt" means. Selling price does not automatically correlate with quality. For me, I'll take a low priced vehicle and then - I have lots of room for adding money, updates, and repairs. You could buy a perfect running $14,000 Toyota RV and have the engine and trans crap out two months later. Then what have you got? Maybe I'm spoiled since the last new car I bought cost $4200 and the one before that was $2300. For $14,000 I can buy a house on 5 acres of land that goes up in value instead of rotting and wearing out.

And yeah, I understand that if you cannot do the work yourself - buying a fixer-upper and paying to have it rehabbed can be a nightmare. So can any mechanical device.

My experience shopping for a Toyota RV shows that often for a lowered priced RV (less than $8K), the owner is getting tired of it or no longer uses it, which means lack of maintenance and "little things" are being neglected. Which the exception of severe leak, these are bargains since those "little things" can be taken care of for next to nothing if the new owner elected to do the work him/herself.

High priced range RVs ($10k and up) often show more of recent maintenance by either shop or owner and often has add-ons such as Gen/Awning...which still may required some work but generally in a better shape.

Both are running similiar risk of mechanical failures so does any used mechanical devices

A word of caution, be on the look out for some that do supertificial works like some caulking, painting, new fluids just to make the RV appears to be well maintained in order to sell it for higher price then what it worths