I have a '94 Nissan truck with the V-6. It has 285,000 miles on it and is still going strong with no major repairs yet. Its power, though, is much less than the Toyota V-6.

John

I don't know about relative power, but my '89 Pathfinder V6 has 180,000 miles as a working farm truck. Runs great, very smooth. We often use it to pull a 18' car trailer with a Ford tractor on top. It'll do 65 on the highway towing that rig, then into the ditch and bounce across 2 miles of muddy pasture in 4X4 without even breaking a sweat. Great truck.

Bob

Sorry, you've misunderstood what I said. My comment is with respect to being 'Bulletproof'. At risk of opening the can of worms wider, the Toyota V6 doesn't share the same reputation, in general.

Toyota 3VZ-E: 150 hp @ 4800 rpm with 180 ft·lbf @ 3400 rpm.

Nissan VG30i: 138 hp @ 4800 rpm with 167 ft·lbf @ 2800 rpm.

So, on paper, at least, the Toyota is a bit ahead. But in real life?

Sorry, you've misundersttod what I said. My comment is with respect to being 'Bulletproof'. At risk of opening the can of worms wider, the Toyota V6 doesn't share the same reputation, in general.

Toyota 3VZ-E: 150 hp @ 4800 rpm with 180 ft·lbf @ 3400 rpm.

Nissan VG30i: 138 hp @ 4800 rpm with 167 ft·lbf @ 2800 rpm.

So, on paper, at least, the Toyota is a bit ahead. But in real life?

Please, do not feed the trolls.

Derek you pointed out too me that the22re is only 115 hp. that is 23hp less then the nissan v 6 . nether i or any in our family have any knolege of the nissan v6. My son has a 1994 toyota 4 runner that he has ran and ran and then some a v6 also pulls a 13 foot scamp trailer . as for myself Four 20r fours one 22r and two 22res Four in a row is the way too go for me . AS for the fuel system efi my 1988 22re xtra cab has 200.ooo have don nothing to it.

I have a Nissan and I love it. Not finished restoring it yet but very powerful and better mileage than what I hear about the Toyota v6. Unfortunately it's not really a choice. In 7 years of being on these groups I have seen 8 nissan v6 Sunraders, 2 or 3 Four Seasons and 3 Odyssey's. All together less units than Sunrader 4x4's. If you find one buy it. You'll love it.

Linda S

Derek you pointed out too me that the22re is only 115 hp. that is 23hp less then the nissan v 6 . nether i or any in our family have any knolege of the nissan v6. My son has a 1994 toyota 4 runner that he has ran and ran and then some a v6 also pulls a 13 foot scamp trailer . as for myself Four 20r fours one 22r and two 22res Four in a row is the way too go for me . AS for the fuel system efi my 1988 22re xtra cab has 200.ooo have don nothing to it.

I have a Nissan and I love it. Not finished restoring it yet but very powerful and better mileage than what I hear about the Toyota v6.

I figured we'd hear from you. It would be interesting to hear your impressions of any performance differences between your V6 and a V6 Sunrader. But, of course, those are kind of rare too!

Unfortunately it's not really a choice. In 7 years of being on these groups I have seen 8 nissan v6 Sunraders, 2 or 3 Four Seasons and 3 Odyssey's. All together less units than Sunrader 4x4's. If you find one buy it. You'll love it.

Linda S

Any Nissan (V6 or I4) based 'home is kind of rare. I've ofter wondered why? I guess the Toyota C&C was a bit cheaper for the manufacturers to buy. I haven't heard of any other reason. I'm hard pressed to think of a Nissan 'Achilles Heal', Toyotas have a few.

Observations of Nissan engines of the 80's great 6 not so great 4. Toyota did have issues with head gaskets and oil slugging with the 6's all though the 3L I have owned had no problems. The Nissan 4 ground up chain guides with no warning enough to plug up the oil pickup and trash the engine. The Nissan 6 was a nice simple engine. If you go back a little bit in the 70's every Japanese manufacture had some kind of engine issue but they learned from that and fixed their problems you even had to buy parts by the production date because they were busy fixing their issues. Is one better then the other? only in the eyes of the beholder.

I came across the Toyota V6 Engine Sludge issue while looking for other recall info. The few sites I looked at never mentioned the problem associated with the 3VZ-E. It seemed to apply to later V6s used in Camrys (different engine family, 1MZ-FE) and apparently was caused by a'better idea' (that wasn't) in the engine design.

Hi Folks--

Well, now I'm confused a bit--I wrote to the Oregon engine rebuilders today (not sure that's the right name) who did a new 22re head for me once (I think Derek recommended them? can't recall, but they seem pretty knowledgeable)--Tod Sternwood there claims that '86 was not the best yr. for the Nissan V6, and he would "avoid it like the plague"; he claims that the Nissan in general has "even more" problems than the Toy v6, and mentioned things such as "internal problems(guides/valve,and cam)"... maybe just the '86 is bad?

The v6 is 86 1/2. Came out mid year. I searched and searched for potential problems and all I found was some guy on a Nissan

site that was complaining because his lifters were starting to make some noise at 400,000 miles. My friend Aaron is a Nissan certified mechanic

and he says it's one of the best engines out there. Mine was as abused as an engine can get. 10 years of winters in Alaska and then

abandoned in a field in New York. for a couple more. Drove it home to California before having any work done. Oil was almost solid

when we finally changed it and Differential was almost dry from leaking seals. Compression now is pefrect, no major repairs just tune up and timing belt, and diff still runs fine

Indestructable by my figuring. Derek I don't know what it is you want me to compare. My Toyota 4 banger Sunrader to my v6 Nissan?

If so my Toyota runs like a corolla with a house on the back and my Nissan doesn't feel much different driving than my Ford Explorer v6

and thats got a lot of get up and go

LS

My Toyota is not really that bad. Little Sunrader it can zip right along as long as there isn't a hill. Problem in Cal is everywhere you go there's one of those damn hills

Hi Folks--

Well, now I'm confused a bit--I wrote to the Oregon engine rebuilders today (not sure that's the right name) who did a new 22re head for me once (I think Derek recommended them? can't recall, but they seem pretty knowledgeable)--Tod Sternwood there claims that '86 was not the best yr. for the Nissan V6, and he would "avoid it like the plague"; he claims that the Nissan in general has "even more" problems than the Toy v6, and mentioned things such as "internal problems(guides/valve,and cam)"... maybe just the '86 is bad?

...I think Derek recommended them?

Not this Derek. I don't know anything about them. Wrong side of the Continent.

Derek I don't know what it is you want me to compare. My Toyota 4 banger Sunrader to my v6 Nissan?

No, just saying that it would be nice to hear about different impressions of the V6s from Toyota and Nissan in otherwise identical 'homes. Not an easy task, I'm sure.

I came across the Toyota V6 Engine Sludge issue while looking for other recall info. The few sites I looked at never mentioned the problem associated with the 3VZ-E. It seemed to apply to later V6s used in Camrys (different engine family, 1MZ-FE) and apparently was caused by a'better idea' (that wasn't) in the engine design.

I have done a few older V6's that were pretty slugged up actually had to send the heads out to be dipped now was it lack of maintenance or design problems? They were all head gaskets or valves never saw any bottom end problems.

"Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. has quietly settled a class-action lawsuit that covers about 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles that may have been damaged by engine oil sludge."

VEHICLE MODEL YEARS

Camry 4 cyl. 1997-2001

Camry 6 cyl. 1997-2002

Camry Solara 4 cyl. 1999-2001

Camry Solara 6 cyl. 1999-2002

Sienna 6 cyl. 1998-2002

Avalon 6 cyl. 1997-2002

Celica 4 cyl. 1997-1999

Highlander 6 cyl. 2001-2002

Lexus ES 300 1997-2002

Lexus RX 300 1999-2002

Source:- http://www.google.ca...lient=firefox-a

The class action was settled about 10 years ago. They did a valve job on my 4 cyl 97 Camry. It was blowing blue smoke at 90,000 miles. Its now got over 250,000 miles. Probably the best car I owned.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks--

There is just no evidence to support that the Nissan VG30 series of engines have more problems than the Toyota 3.0 V6 of the same time period. The only chronic problem the VG30 series had was the Mexican built units had some piston slap after several thousand miles which Nissan replaced under warranty. The engines made a noise when cold and quieted down when warm, never a reliability problem.

As for Tom's problem when you buy anything used you're taking a chance and potentially are buying someone else's problems.

Nothing in this world will ever be perfect and certainly not something 26 years old.

Just for the record the Nissan VG30 series of engines were AWARDED as the best V6 engine of that era PERIOD!

Just for the record the current crop of Nissan's made since 2005 have been made under the new ownership of Renault.....need I say more?