Dead generator

DanAatTheCape

Well,just finished a trip - the generator locked up. Lowered it today - hole in the case - I thjink I can see the connecting rod - broken in two. This was the kohler 2.5 (built on the tecumseh 6hp).

Curious what other winnibago warrior / itsaca spirit drivers have used to replace the old kohlers...

post-1354-0-94281600-1318728939_thumb.jp

Dan,

My Sunrader had the Kohler and I replaced it with a used Onan 2.8 I found. I had to expand the compartment size, cut out a little of the floor and build a new cover but I didn't change the outside access door. It drops in from the top but it sits on top of the old Kohler supports. The Kohler is really loud as you know all too well, the Onan is quiet enough to run in National Park campgrounds.

Seamus McShank

• 4 months later...

Well,just finished a trip - the generator locked up. Lowered it today - hole in the case - I thjink I can see the connecting rod - broken in two. This was the kohler 2.5 (built on the tecumseh 6hp).

Curious what other winnibago warrior / itsaca spirit drivers have used to replace the old kohlers...

anybody out there have an old kohler you want to part with? The generator, stater etc are still good on mine -- might be interested in building one good one out of 2 bad ones.

• 1 month later...

This might be kind of out there but this Tecumseh engine is vertical shaft and has the same size shaft as the tvm140. Not electric start but maybe you could salvage parts from your to make it work.

I've been looking for Kohlers for cheap for you but haven't found any yet. This one is pretty darn cheap

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=LV195EA-361599&desc=Tecumseh Engine 6hp Vertical 7/8"x2-7/16" Shaft, 3/16" Straight & 2WK, Heavy Flywheel-No Brake, Remote Throttle

LS

anybody out there have an old kohler you want to part with? The generator, stater etc are still good on mine -- might be interested in building one good one out of 2 bad ones.

I owend a sears eletric start lawen mower with that same enguine a 6.5 horse TECUMSEH the starter even looks the same the mower has a 12 volt gell cell battery . may be you could match it up with one off of a lawen mower myn was a 22 inch cut . still runs good my dauter has it now. but i mow her yard with it. From that picture it shure looks very same thing.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com

They have a bunch of surplus engines and short-blocks. A 6hp Tecumseh short-block is $95.

Wow don't know how missed this.Posted a month ago but maybe he still has it. In Florida where you are I think

Kohler Generator

http://orlando.craig...2922350841.html

Super cheap

LS

I have that generator now! The guy gave it to me. It is a piece of crap. He had given up on it. I called & discussed it when the ad was fresh but since it was 75 miles & never went over. He called after a few weeks and offered it to me so what the heck

I got it to run with my carb but there is blow back thru the card at high rpm's.Could actually see atomized gas/air mixture blowing back about 6" - could feel it on my hand & smelled it. That was at rpm's a lot higher then the unit wil run at. Pulled the head today - look's ok but we will see tomorrow when I put it back in, I cleaned out the carbon. Looks like the intake valve may not be seating tightly late on the exhaust stroke.

If I can just get it to take a load ..... (it dies when a load is put on it)

I hooked up a honda 2000 & was able to pull my AC. Don't know how that would work for longer periods though.

it just might work out for you with the repair. as far as the honda i would go by what they claim as far as running the air for long periods of time. if they say it won't even though it does i believe there is a reason. they want you to be happy with their product and i believe would be conservative on what it will do so it works well and long. at twice the price of just about anything else out there it has to work well.

I think the Honda is far more reliable that the Kohler and quieter too change the start cap in the A/C then it should have no problems running it.

UPDATE: I have given up on the kohlers (i have 2 now).. The 2nd one was given to me by someone else who gave up on it. I think it is just wornout - it has 120lbs compression but i think the intake valve is not closing well- maybe needs a valve job or there is wear in the cam. In either case not worth fixing and I want something quieter & more reliable,

Plan to sell them for scrap so if anyone wants kohler parts please speak up.

• 1 month later...