The CID is the same, with the EFI the RE is about 15hp better, and will get better MPG.

I'm not sure it would be a cost effective swap unless you could get a donor truck CHEAP. Trying to buy separate parts would really costly.

As WME says, a donor truck would be the way to go.

Wire Harness

Fuel pump / gas tank / fuel lines (fuel pump is in gas tank)

sensors

Cat converter

Intake plenum with air sensor / filter

ECU - computer

Electronic ignition box

Not sure if motor mounts or transmission would be compatible??

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Ouch!--thanks guys. So is the MPG significantly better? 15 hp won't make a lot of diff, right? This is a Q about whether I should buy one of the smaller Toys with a 22r, or wait till one shows up with the EFI. How about the engines themselves, as far as durability? Equal quality? and would rebuilds/replacements cost about the same?

Most of the RE also have automatics. I would guess that the mpg diff is about 1-2 mpg with identical RVs and transmission.

So a smaller, lighter rv with a 4sp and a 22R would probably get better mpg and be "faster".

A new Weber carb, a RV cam and headers would give you 25hp for less than a RE conversion.

IMHO just get the 22r 4sp package and drive it awhile and see if you think it needs more HP. Also more HP means its more fun to drive and your mpg will go down to match your new driving habits. :Poster_oops:

I will second WME's recommendation. If you have a good running carbed 22R, stick with it. If more power is your goal, a weber is an easier/cheaper route and can be made to outperform the EFI.

As for mileage, I think you will find that a properly tuned carb will do as well as FI. The key to this is proper tuning. A properly functioning FI system does this on the fly. A carb does not. if you live in an area where you will experience substantial elevation changes EFI is definitely worth it's added cost/complexity. If you do not, I think a good running carbed 22R does the job just fine.

So, if you are a left coaster who likes exploring all that beautiful but lumpy terrain of yours, go with FI. We flatlanders back east can get along pretty well so long as we stay off the Mt Washington auto road. Iif you've driven said road in a toyhouse, you are certifiably crazy. The second time I drove it in our minivan I was forced to abort the mission about 3/4 the way up by my panic stricken wife.

That being said, this flatlander has owned only FI toyhouses.One 22RE and now the V-6. I would not hesitate however to buy a carbed 22R, so long as it came with a clutch. My dream toyhouse would be an 18 ft Sunrader with 22RE and 5 speed. I believe such a rig driven carefully might see 20 mpg (with a bit of a tailwind).

sorry i have had both 22r and 22re 4wd pu only one efi out of alltoyotas ihave had giveme a carb any time moterhome 20r webber carb would like to remove efi on pu change to carb as i recall the20r is only 96hp in the1978minimax not fast dont care use that 4 speed

This is a Q about whether I should buy one of the smaller Toys with a 22r, or wait till one shows up with the EFI.

My outlook, older Toyotas are good and they just keep getting better as they get newer. :ThumbUp:

If I were going to replace, I'd go with a v-6, or better yet, throw a v-8 in. Either would give lots better power. Had an 86 dolphin with 22re, just didnt' have enough juice, headwinds, hills and wouldn't maintain speed.

Hi All--

Just wondering if a 22r can be upgraded to/replaced by a 22re in a small Sunrader, and what the advantages would be, as regards MPG and speed/power, etc.

Thanks!