I can't drive... 55!

Alvin

I know that the best fuel savings can be obtained by driving slower. However I live in Salt Lake City, and tend to drive long distances... any freeway leading out of my area has a speed limit of 75 (even 80) mph. I need to drive 65 as possible and spend lots of miles doing so.

So far, my Odyssey is averaging only about 10 or 11 mpg, and I'm about to get a good tuneup; however I realize that the drag of driving a brick down the highway is a function of both forward wind resistance (which I can do little to affect) but also the rear vacuum pressure. I have discovered this "Airtab" product which seems like it has reasonable science behind it and people are claiming increased fuel efficiency and wind handling.

www.airtab.com

Here is a video:

Using their values of 3 airtabs per linear foot across the top and sides of the rear of my Odyssey, I can see that about 60 airtabs would be required. Another place airtabs could be installed would be the rooftop AC unit (an additional 10 airtabs), so 70 airtabs all together. At a cost of $2.75 each, the total cost of the airtabs with sales tax is very close to $200. Assuming that I might go from 11-mpg to 12-mpg, and an average fuel cost of $3.00 per gallon (I think it will actually go higher soon but gas prices in Utah are $2.80 and CA are over $3.00 currently), I get a savings of about 7.5 gallons of fuel per 1000-miles traveled... or about $22.72 per 1000 miles traveled. Therefore the tabs would pay for themselves at around 8,800 miles... in theory.

Has anyone had any experience with Airtabs?

Yes yes yes, I know... slow down! But I live in SLC, my kids live on the coast, I make this drive (1500 miles) about 4 times a year and the freeway speed is 80-mph in Utah and much of the Western States.

I really don't want to go faster than 65 or 70 due to vehicle handling, but 11-mpg is killing my sensibilities. :)

post-3988-022956100 1287151958_thumb.png

I'm in the same boat gotta take I-80 to get anywhere and 65 is the minimum safe speed with all the trucks.

I got 13.7mpg, on a 3000 mi trip, at 65 with a 4cyl and NO O/D.

I don't see trucks with Airtabs on them, and those guys would kill for .5mpg

I wonder where the cut off point is between air drag and vacuum behind the MH? best I can do is mid to upper 13's at 65 in O/D. Goes up a lot at slower speeds.

• 1 month later...

You might search on Airtabs and the trucking industry. Some fleets have found them to have an economic pay off. I believe Kevin Rutherford who has a radio show on Sirus 147 Road Dog Trucking also believes in them......at least for semis. He is a very regimented numbers based guy with excellent data.

They certainly work on aircraft but the benefit is at a much higher speed than the average Toyotahome is capable of.

Just because the speed limit is 75 or even 80 doesn't mean that one has to drive that fast. When one is driving on a four lane highway, staying in the right hand lane is quite safe when one is going slower than the rest of the traffic. Want better fuel mileage? Slow down! Want to enjoy the ride? Slow down! Yes the 1500 miles is a long trip in a Toyhome but you can pull over at any rest stop and have all the comforts of home right with you. What's the rush?

Well, the rush is simply that I do this trip 4 or 5 times a year, and I've been doing the same trip now for 13 years... Plus, traffic out in the open desert at night is typically 85 right on the nose with most drivers. 60mph is dangerous.

In beautiful California, the right hand lane is so battered that I cannot drive there without beating the rig to death. I-80 through the Sierra's is Brutal. I have to drive fast enough not to be a hazard, but in the middle lane.

Better yet to avoid the freeway as much as possible. Love those back roads!

I've got an '84 dolphin w/ the22R and standard tranny.I got to 16-18 MPH by using a Weber two barrel carb., a tuned header, and Mobile One full synthetic oil. I also use K&N filters. The machine amazes me. 75-80 MPH is easy all day, but the 15-18 MPG is @ 65 MPH.(I live in Butte Mt. and Mtn. passes are every day.)Good luck!

T.A.J.

I know that the best fuel savings can be obtained by driving slower. However I live in Salt Lake City, and tend to drive long distances... any freeway leading out of my area has a speed limit of 75 (even 80) mph. I need to drive 65 as possible and spend lots of miles doing so.

So far, my Odyssey is averaging only about 10 or 11 mpg, and I'm about to get a good tuneup; however I realize that the drag of driving a brick down the highway is a function of both forward wind resistance (which I can do little to affect) but also the rear vacuum pressure. I have discovered this "Airtab" product which seems like it has reasonable science behind it and people are claiming increased fuel efficiency and wind handling.

www.airtab.com

Here is a video:

Using their values of 3 airtabs per linear foot across the top and sides of the rear of my Odyssey, I can see that about 60 airtabs would be required. Another place airtabs could be installed would be the rooftop AC unit (an additional 10 airtabs), so 70 airtabs all together. At a cost of $2.75 each, the total cost of the airtabs with sales tax is very close to $200. Assuming that I might go from 11-mpg to 12-mpg, and an average fuel cost of $3.00 per gallon (I think it will actually go higher soon but gas prices in Utah are $2.80 and CA are over $3.00 currently), I get a savings of about 7.5 gallons of fuel per 1000-miles traveled... or about $22.72 per 1000 miles traveled. Therefore the tabs would pay for themselves at around 8,800 miles... in theory.

Yes yes yes, I know... slow down! But I live in SLC, my kids live on the coast, I make this drive (1500 miles) about 4 times a year and the freeway speed is 80-mph in Utah and much of the Western States.

I really don't want to go faster than 65 or 70 due to vehicle handling, but 11-mpg is killing my sensibilities. :)

www.airtab.com

Here is a video:

I do not buy the air tabs thing - maybe a 1/2 mpg?

Which engine & year do you have? my 93 v6 is doing 11-12 & I think I have a bad oxygen sensor -- need to take the time to get the codes read.

• 2 months later...

I usually get 15-17 mpg out of my 22R w/stick shift, traveling 55 mph, on a good day. If we're bucking winds, considerably less. When I travel long distance, if there is a bad headwind, I camp for a while. Tailwinds are, of course, a real mpg booster! :D

It, also, helps to be retired and in no hurry. :)