So we're just hitting 9 years on the Nexen SV820 tires that I purchased in early 2015 (all manufactured in '14 according to date codes). They all have 6/32" or better tread with no signs of cracking or dry rot, and we've put roughly 18,000 miles on 'em.

And, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a full set of Thunderer Ranger R101 tires, but I thought I'd run it by all of you first, to get any thoughts/comments:

Is tire replacement WAY overdue at this point? (Internet says YES)

Do any of you guys run rubber older than this and care to admit it?

Who's currently got the Thunderer Rangers and love/hates 'em?

We have Thunderer’s on ours, over 15k miles now and very minimal, even wear. I would recommend 

I second Thunderer. On my second set now. Easily get 40K out of them.

I did a bunch of research, listened to Linda, and there are 7 new Thunderers stacked in my garage awaiting spring....

Thanks folks! Sounds like I better go head and do it. 

On 3/5/2024 at 4:53 PM, fred heath said:

I second Thunderer.

I have also been doing well with these tires and I will continue to buy them.  However, I have had one of them go bad after two years because of what i assume was a delamination.  But it was my own fault because I let it sit in the off season and didn't move it.  That was precisely exactly where they went bad - at the contact point with the ground.  Probably only 10k or 15k miles on them, plenty of tread.  Normally I try to put her up on jack stands in the winter for this very problem, but I forgot last year and one went bad on me.  I can tell when it's happening now because it feels like an out of balance tire.  This happens in the back only where the weight is.   It blew out on the freeway but didn't cause damage.  Kids got nuggets at KFC while I swapped it out and we were back on the road.  Has this happened to anyone else?

A related tire question.  a front rim was really hard to balance last time I changed tires and I had to take it back to recheck.  Tire guy did a more careful check and saw that the rim was just slightly bent in one spot.  Maybe I curbed it, not sure.    Nobody around here would repair it so I started hunting for another rim, but they are like hen's teeth here in the South.    Finally found one and I've got it in the garage ready to refurbish it and swap it out.  Anyone else have this kind of issue/experience?

I hope y'all are doing well, I've been scarce on the forum here but my rig is running better than ever.