Installing a G292 Axle in place of a G082 Axle?

I have a 1982 Sunrader 21 with the G082 fake dually rear axle.  I have an opportunity to obtain a G292 true 1 ton axle from a 1984 Dolphin to replace it with.  Other than the different gear ratio, how difficult is this to switch?  Does it use all the same hard points (simply a bolt on solution) and welded on brackets, or does it require welding and fabrication work?  How about the driveshaft length/flange - same?

I know these are pretty granular details, but hoping someone will know on this astute board.  Thanks.

Edited by IdahoDoug

if it is coming from an 84, someone added it to that rig as 84s did not come with duals.    if you can look at the rig before pulling the axle you can get an idea of what is needed

Are you sure? I just randomly googled 5 1984 Dolphins and every one had dual rear tires.  Thinking of a different model, maybe?

53 minutes ago, IdahoDoug said:

Are you sure? I just randomly googled 5 1984 Dolphins and every one had dual rear tires.  Thinking of a different model, maybe?

They might have “foolie” duals. 6 lug duals are what you want.

In 1984 they all came with foolies. Any 1984 with 6 lug ff is a retrofit.

Edited by fred heath

National RV who made Dolphin was the only company who made any effort to help customers with the axle upgrade. For that reason you will find more Dolphins with the true dually. Of course some never got upgraded. You know what a full float dually looks like. Just always ask for pictures of the rear axle hub with no wheel covers on it. 

Linda S

Yep, OK.  So its a retrofit correct dually.  My question is still hopeful.  Can this directly fit on my Sunrader frame?

Crudsky!  Okay, thanks.  I keep going back and forth with getting the correct dually and later with the 4wd conversion having an undesirable dually rear axle, or finding a Toyota 1ton rear axle thats wider and single wheel. For offroading, the single rear would be better.  I guess this answers it for me as if either solution will require fabrication, I may as well find that wider single Toyota 1 ton.

While I have the floor, does anyone know of a Toyota single wheel 1ton axle thats wide enough to be cosmetically acceptable?

1 ton T100 will give you very close to the same track as the outside wheels on a dually. Dually is 61 inches WMS to WMS. The T100 is 66.75. So you get an extra 2.8 inches on each side. Should be very close to the extra width from the outside dually wheel. The payload on these trucks was 2500lbs. More than a lot of newer V8 trucks. 

Linda S