Air conditioner issue. Compressor unable to start.

deedubs

3250 power mate generator 14-20a plug. Will run fan but when tries to start compressor, bogs down and won't kick on. Generator not powerful enough or not enough amperage?

I don't have access to shore power. I did use another generator. The air conditioner will try and start for about 5 seconds but then goes off.  Capacitor issues?

If you're comfortable working with the high voltage (don't attempt if you aren't), put a multimeter on the compressor power wire and see what kind of amps it's pulling when trying to start. 

i bought from amazon.  look for usa made

You should have a total of 3 capacitors. Start, run and fan.

If you’re going to replace one capacitor you might as well do all three. A capacitor such as the ones in your a/c are good for roughly  20 years.

I replaced all 3 of mine for about $100.

You can add a hard start capacitor to the system at the same time.

Take pictures of everything BEFORE you start unplugging wires. All your capacitors will have id numbers printed on them as well as voltage. Just be sure to replace with same. No need to order through your a/c manufacturers.

Before doing anything. Find a source of shore power to test the unit first.

Edited by fred heath

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

Before doing anything. Find a source of shore power to see if it operates correctly.

What he said

Start current of the AC is high the start cap is a good place to start. Go to a electrical shop with the old one so they can match it they know what they are doing and it will be cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will using a higher capacitor, replacing the 47-56 mfd 250vac with 53-64 be okay or a 43-53?  Will it make much of a difference? I only ask is Grainger does not have the 47-56.  But has the other two around it. 

Edited by deedubs