1 vote for FRP, 15 colors.. 2nd choice would Formica, a lot more colors.

Both are basically bullet proof.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure I should probably update my progress as it has been quite a while since posting. I have been staying busy on the project and checking in almost daily on the forum. Doug, your pace on the build puts me to shame. I do accomplish something every day though, and even if I can't say that I see a light at the end of the tunnel, I can see a light! I thought I had found some new windows for the sides, but they were for 1 1/2" walls so I'm now at the point of rebuilding mine. I'll go back and read all the posts about doing the windows and I do have where to get the rubber seals from before.

The power center and refrigerator are in place although I still need to make the bottom mount face plate that will hold it from walking out, (the base frame slides under brackets at the back). I have pretty much finished up this week on the kitchen counter area except for the backsplash and some little items like trim, etc. Have mounted the jack knife sofa/(wife's bed), and much to my delight, it opens past the front mounted ac. "Bob" told me it would, but we know about "Bob's" eyesight and wandering mind! It's been quite a while since he engineered that part of the build. Ran a pressure test on the shore plumbing supply and all fittings except the water tank and 12 volt pump. I was sweating that one; "Bob" again! Pretty much buttoned up the hot water heater cabinet and installed the electrical panel for the water heater and 12 volt pump switch. I made the panel fold out with the plug in for the water heater on the back side and it also gives me access to the valves for the water heater/ hot/cold water supply. I am still amazed at the strength of the styrofoam and fiberglass laminates and I will super pumped if the weight of the build comes in anywhere close to my plans. Enough carrying on, just wanted to show some progress. I'll post a few pics. Let me know what you think, all input is useful.

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

I like your sense of style and proportion with the curve next to the fridge, and the little shelf to the rear of the couch.  What paint are you discovering works on the pink foamular panels? Any issues with it sticking to the fiberglas?

On the a/c, you may know this, but be sure it's tilted such that condensation runs out of the vehicle, and also when towing any spray accumulated atop it doesn't sit against whatever sealing you're using on the outside for too long.  Since it's near your wifey for sleeping, you'll also want to put an air deflector on it to push the cold torrent of air away from hitting her all night - perhaps even a bit of a snorkel affair to get that flow significantly away from her as a short diverter will simply create a whirl that will come back down on her. Be thinking where you'll store her bulky bedding as well - I've had to revise some thinking if we have guests sleeping on the dinette - that's several pillows, sheets, and a bulky set of blankets to store somewhere during the day.

Not sure how you're routing wiring, but I bought a cheap hot knife with a thick blade that works great for creating shallow grooves I've used to run wires along the face of the foam.  Then I used hot glue in the grooves to keep the wiring from moving/rattling behind the mahogany paneling that is covering all my foamular.  

Looking good.  Based on what I'm using, your weight and strength are going to come in very nicely!

Posted (edited)

We are on the same page for a lot of this stuff, Doug. Lowe's has a stain blocker type flat white, with bonding agents mixed in that help it to bond with other paint, glue, etc. $29 a gallon and I probably won't use the whole thing even with two coats. Covers really good and is pretty thick to fill smaller imperfections. The jack knife sofa sits probably 8" out from the wall at the base of the seat back. I'm thinking of a shelf at that level to the wall for the full length to roll up the bedding lengthwise and stow it behind the seat back when up. Underneath has about 18" of height from the floor. Although the water tank sits for the first half at the foot leaving 36W+ x 24D x 18H, I'm considering perhaps two small carry-on style roller bags slid under the remaining space with a short rail at the back to roll over and simple cord style net across the front until I decide what to build in under there. We want to use this thing for a while before entirely done to see what suits our travel style. I have one of those hot knives, just haven't used it for anything yet and the ac is 15+ degrees tilt when trl is level. You know what they say, great minds think alike! (as long as I ignore "Bob" for the most part.) All I need is a whole lot more of your energy.

Started on rebuilding the windows today. How far has anyone taken these apart. Have samples for the rubber seals coming but I think I'm deeper into them than that already. Just not sure where/when to put any sealant btwn plexiglass and frame etc?

Edited by Bob the Builder
spelling,etc.