Putting 1992 22RE in my 1986 New World Motorhome

Just wondering if anyone has swapped a 22re for a newer 22re and any issues with connecting all the wiring as some of the wiring left in my engine bay has different plugs than the wiring harness for the 1992 22re.

20220306_200811.jpg

20220314_210908.jpg

I am going to generalize here and not going into specific to this exact combination, but coming from 30+ years of being in the automotive industry that started from stuffing the wrong engines into cars and expanded into a career specifically specializing in tuning and high performance modifications.  (Translation, I am not heading down the rabbit hole and reading that link at this moment until I grasp the goals you actually have in doing this.)    

So let's start there, why are you doing an engine swap to begin with?  What are your end goals?

1)  If it is simply replacement of a bad engine, unbolt the old one, set on the ground next to the new, and swap over any sensors or other parts that differ.  Put the new engine in, plug in, done.   

2)  If you are swapping an engine to fix engine management running issues the old engine had, well those problems will likely still be there with the new motor.  In other words make sure the swap was due to bad internal engine issues, not external management problems.  

3)  If you are doing this swap to upgrade and get more performance from the newer 22re, you are picking the hardest path and will need EVERYTHING.  There is going to be a whole lot of work for what will probably only be a very small performance gain.  I won't expand any further on this, unless it is the reason for the swap...

More information is needed!  What did the 1992 swap motor come out of?  Off the top, I'm pretty sure there are no Toyota RV's still made in 1992 coming with the 22RE.  Linda will know that one for sure!  

A quick look at your pictures above and I already see the one problem I figured you would have, the distributer plug is different.  The distributer in the newer motor won't work either, you will need the original one.  The signals it puts out to the ignition module and ecu are different.

Do you still have the old motor???

The 22re was available in pickups and 4 runners until 1995. No increase in power is gained by switching from an 86 to a 92 engine. They are the same. The sensors and engine control computer unfortunately are not the same through all those years. The thread I posted gives some ideas as how to switch everything. Simplest is to move all external parts from the old engine to the new. People replace engines all the time with remanufactured ones. It can't be that hard. 

Linda S

The reason for the engine swap was that I bought the RV with a blown 22re in it.  Found a 92 toyota pickup for sale cheap with a good engine, bought it, pulled the engine out along with the wiring harness and ecu.  I am hoping that I have all the wiring that I need to get it up and running.  

If the long blocks are the same just remove all the hardware from the new engine and replace with old existing hardware. Seems like the most field expedient route to take.

I’m not familiar with the 22R engine family. There may be a reason you can’t do this. Just my 2Cents worth.

What exactly is “blown”?  These are damn near bulletproof.  The only kinda weak point is headgaskets.  I could be wrong, but I swear I have seen head gasket replacement recommend as an actual service item!  In these heavy rv’s, the 22re really get abused.  And well we are talking 30+ years old too. 

Full rebuild kits aren’t that bad if the old motor isn’t badly hurt and in need of lots of machine shop work. I would keep

it and go through it. Beef it up, flow the head and intake (if the intake is the same that is). If it needs machine shop work, punch it out!!!  

Anyways, just super curios as to what went wrong. 

Your biggest problem is going to the sensors and wiring there was a lot emission stuff going on during that time I would also expect the ECM to be different. The engine it's self is basically the same. Not being able to see it from my house you maybe able to swap the old sensors to the newer engine and use the same ECM.

14 hours ago, thewanderlustking said:

What exactly is “blown”?  These are damn near bulletproof.  The only kinda weak point is headgaskets.  I could be wrong, but I swear I have seen head gasket replacement recommend as an actual service item!  In these heavy rv’s, the 22re really get abused.  And well we are talking 30+ years old too. 

Full rebuild kits aren’t that bad if the old motor isn’t badly hurt and in need of lots of machine shop work. I would keep

it and go through it. Beef it up, flow the head and intake (if the intake is the same that is). If it needs machine shop work, punch it out!!!  

Anyways, just super curios as to what went wrong. 

The biggest issue with the 22RE was the timing chain and tensioners. The 22RE had a single roller chain (22R's were double) I remember having to replace timing case covers, chains, tensioners, oil pumps. They were extreme cases but many people didn't seem to notice or care about the rattle. Both engines had head gasket issue but I would not call it chronic.

2 big holes in each side of the block, I dont know how they got there, was like that when I bought the RV.  I'm not really concerned with hunk of metal that I'm getting ready to take to the junk yard, my focus is more on the engine that is going in the RV 

You certainly seem to know what you're doing and even if your current engine wasn't completely trashed, a good used engine is easier and far cheaper than extensive machine shop work. Would appreciate some posts about the install for the next guy who needs to do this. 

Linda S

20 hours ago, Usafammo said:

I already did a full ECM delete on the 92 engine

Got to ask Carburetor? Seems like  a quantum leap backwards. 

you may be sorry about that.  egr provides a usefull function