Black Water Odor

waiter

I never noticed this before, because, well, this is the first time we used the black tank, and I've never rolled the windows down while driving (you don't roll the windows down while driving with an outside temperature of 30 deg F)

Anyway, while cruising down the highway, if I roll the drivers window down, I start getting an odor from the black tank. I suspect that rolling the window down creates a slight negative pressure in the coach and air can get sucked in. (NOTE - I also get the odor if I drive with one of the roof vents open, I suspect the same reason, negative pressure in the coach is drawing in the odor)

I filled the bath sink with water and let it drain. The theory was that if there was no water in the sink trap, odor could be coming up through there.

I also leave a couple inches of water in the toilet bowl. I seem to have a good seal there as the water doesn't leak down.

I didn't check the stand pipe to see if its plugged.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Any thoughts on how this odor could be getting in.

My thoughts are that this should be an airtight system, and the only place for the system to breath, is through the stand pipe vent.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I had the same problem - fix was to install "weather vain" type vent cover on both the black and gray tanks, this cover spins facing down wind. No more smells driving or parked, I do keep the bath ceiling vent closed as the vent is very close to the black tank

$14.95 at our local Fleet Farm Store - up to $29.95 on the net.

Dale

PS: I also found a loose conection on the vent stack where it comes down in the closet, Where the pipe makes a right angel to the stool and holding tank

Dale;

Thanks, I'll check out the stand pipe and make sure its OK. I noticed it a little bit, even before we hit the 1200 miles of gravel/dirt roads.

I thought about the stand pipe on the roof. the way its tilted at the very back of the roof, it could indeed cause it to pressurize when the truck is moving. A weather-vane would solve this. but even if the tank is pressurized, there should be no place for the pressure to escape.

Waiter i have also had this problem i know on my minimax it was going out vent stack in the drivers window glad to know about vent options but are you using chemicals in your black tank really makes a differance theres a product called i think its called liquid gold probly one of the older formeldhyde versions of tank products but works really well when i did not use it i had that problem i also used anthor product but not near as good

I add a bit of water softener every other dump and found that it did wonders for the grey water tank. I read that the water softener helps keep the tank walls cleaner. The black water tank as well has improved and I stopped using all of those expensive tank deodorizers. Instead I use environmentally-friendly laundry detergent and pine sol from the dollar store and it is smelling much fresher. Those RV chemicals are a waste of money IMO.

Also, an occasional rinse is well worth the hassle.

Greg;

The Shower and Kitchen sink both goto the gray. (I did dump some water down there anyway, as on the last trip, we used our shower as a closet)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I could not agree more with the weather vane gadget they work great makes all the difference in the world works like a venturi and pulls air like mad up the stink pipe at highway speeds and they even work well in a light breeze.

I have one of those things mounted as well and they don't do a thing if you've neglected properly maintaining your tank. My lady used to complain that it smelled worse than a chicken butchering plant when using the bathroom while the vehicle was in motion. I ignored it until one day she actually drove while I was sick. It smelt like a rotting body had risen from the toilet. Afterwards I searched online and discovered the trick of using water softener. After several rinses and a switch to my own deodorizing concoction neither of us would hesitate to use the bathroom in motion ever again.

Trust me, get the water softener.

I looked at the stand pipe at the top of the MH today. The way its mounted, on the back curved portion, it acts like an air scoop when traveling down the hiway, and actually pressurize the tank. Its real obvious now that I know what I'm looking at!!! (I'll post a couple photos tomorrow)

I ordered one of those weathervaine things from Amazon, I think it was about $15.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I also have had this problem on occasion. The fix for me was pore water into the shower drain until I here it draining into the black water tank. We do not use the shower except for storage therefor after some period of time the p-trap dries out and poop tank fumes travel upward. :sick: Actually the smell is worse than that. Hope this helps someone. Darrel

I ordered one of those weathervaine things from Amazon, I think it was about $15.

John, can you post a link to that... Thanks!

Andrew.

Thank You! :)

It's added to my ever-growing "to do/get" list...

41hPjO%2Bt5EL._AA300_.jpg