Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and about to buy a 1988 Odyssey. I am strugling to find information about the Gross Vehicle Weight rating and Payload. I am relocating abroad and want to load all my stuff in the van which means putting anything between 600 and 1000kg load inside including passengers. I know the rear axle is classifed as 1tn but want to find if there are more accurate payload information.

Thanks

Nikolay

GVWR is 5500 lbs. regardless if single tire in rear or dual. The "1 ton" designation is kind of meaningless. It means when in a lighter truck - it can handle at least a full ton of payload. Obviously not the case in a Toyota RV that has barely no legal payload capacity once the tanks are full, and cargo and people in it. Usually when someone here says "1 ton" axle they mean a full-floating rear with dual tires and 6 lug wheels with a 7.25" bolt circle.

Most of these RV's are close to being overloaded if the gas tank & water tanks are full and 2 people are on board. There is no way you have the capacity to add 1300 to 2200 pounds. My Escaper weights 5600 with gas alone. We are overloaded when we put 2 people, a 60 lb dog and all of our groceries and clothing.

Doable maybe, safe probably not.

More info needed, like how far and where? mountains, flat land? Do you need to live in it at the same time?

The 1988 Dolphin brochure lists the GVWR as 5950lb.

Unless I'm missing something - Toyota states that for the 1988 cab & chassis truck - 5500 lbs. is the absolute max.

post-6578-0-93886900-1449423673_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-82464100-1449423684_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-11030600-1449423690_thumb.jp

I'm not saying you or Toyota are wrong (nor saying it's ridiculous :) ). I'm merely stating what Dolphin brochures published. The only Odyssey brochure I've seen (online) doesn't give a GVWR.

What year do those pages apply to?

The pages I posted are from the 1988 Toyota Cab & Chassis body builder's manual. The GVWR is raised in the 1990 manual. I don't have the manual for 1989. 1990 raises the GVWR to 5600 lbs.for singe wheels and 6000 lbs. for dual wheels. Here are some pages from the 1990 Cab & Chassis manual.

post-6578-0-28295400-1449453583_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-27471900-1449453599_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-14656700-1449453606_thumb.jp

So it does seem funny to me that my 86 with a full float axle has the same weight rating as a regular truck with single wheels. Are there any other trucks where the max weight doesn't change in the dually model? Yes JD I have seen the same Dolphin brochure and it does give a higher max weight. National RV was a huge company. I can't imagine them just doing that without getting approval from someone. Possible lawsuits would have to had to cross their minds

Linda S

The one drawback to single wheels is not the axle capacity but how much weight the tires can carry. My 14 bolt GM full floater is good for over 6000#.

Most Toyota motor homes have a restricted wheel well opening. In my case my max tire diameter is 27" and still clear the LP tank. My tires are commercial van 195/70-15 and have a load index of 102-104.

An "E" rated, 10 ply would be better, but none available. I'm at the top of my load rating at 3850#.

So it does seem funny to me that my 86 with a full float axle has the same weight rating as a regular truck with single wheels. Are there any other trucks where the max weight doesn't change in the dually model? Yes JD I have seen the same Dolphin brochure and it does give a higher max weight. National RV was a huge company. I can't imagine them just doing that without getting approval from someone. Possible lawsuits would have to had to cross their minds

Linda S

In 1988 the single-tire rear axle had a 3700 lb. max rating and the dual-tire rear-axle had a 3750 lb. max rating. With only the 50 lb. difference, why wouldn't the GVWR be basically the same?

Maybe National RV did some work on the truck chassis and officially got it recertified for GVWR. If so there would be a yellow recertification label on the door pillar. I suspect there were just voiding the Toyota warranty like many micro-mini makers did. According to the Toyota manual - exceeding the published GVWR cannot be done and still have a valid warranty from Toyota. You tell me? Are you saying you don't believe what Toyota puts in their own manuals written primarily for motorhome builders?

These are the published specs direct from Toyota that RV makers are supposed to adhere to.

1978 - GVWR of 4600 lbs. Max curb weight - 3450 lbs. (full tanks, no passengers or cargo)

1985 - GVWR of 5500 lbs. Max curb weight - 3510 lbs. (full tanks, no passengers or cargo)

1988 - GVWR of 5500 lbs. (single or dual) Max curb weight - 3520 lbs. (full tanks, no passengers or cargo)

1990 -GVWR 5600 lbs single, 6000 lbs. dual. Max curb with duals - 4000 lbs. EXCEPT motorhomes - 5000 lbs.

2004 Hilux - GVWR 6050 lbs. with single rear 14" tires and semi-floating rear.

The 1988 Dolphin brochure lists the GVWR as 5950lb.

The 1988 Dolphin brochure - at least the one I have - shows what looks to me to be a sort of "fantasy" GVWR. There is an asterix next to it. That asterix leads to further description that says it is for an "owner's test vehicle." What do you suppose that means??? I.e - looks to me NOT legal to drive. I suspect it at least violates emissions regulations for 1988 that give an absolute max curb weight. Other numbers Dolphin provides are also questionable. They give a 2200 lb. max rating from the front axle, whereas Toyota only gives 2050 lbs. Also - in the same Dolphin brochure - for this "test vehicle" - Dolphin gives 2200 lbs. for the front, 3700 lbs. for the rear - and the GVWR higher then the sum of the two at 5950 lbs. That is impossible. In fact - in most if not all cases - the GVWR is supposed to be lower then the sum of the front and rear axles, not more. That due to weight bias/shift when going up or down hills.

JD, as far as I'm concerned you'd best continue any Dolphin GVWR argument with National. Perhaps they can explain to your satisfaction what they published.

I don't have any argument. I believe Toyota and what they have printed in their manuals. I also believe what I see in the Dolphin brochure that has the asterix and disclaimer by the GVWR. Seems to me it is other people here that have some sort of "argument" with the published Toyota figures.

I posted and cited exactly what Toyota states. When it comes to citing Dolphin - so far I am the only only one that sees a sort of disclaimer by the GVWR. Are you saying the brochure you are reading does NOT have the disclaimer and asterix?

OP there maybe be a coach manufacture's plate behind the drivers seat not the one on the door pillar it's sort of hidden back there I have seen it on a few Toy Homes it lists the MH weight not the pickup weight spec. What I can tell you it comes from the MH co. pretty close to max with normal loads. The 600KG weight alone kind of rules out towing too.

No sign.

Does that mean you have a copy of a 1988 Dolphin brochure that shows an absolute GVWR with no asterix or disclailmer next to it? My copy has the disclaimer. If you or Linda have something without the disclaimer - please post. Also note that the 1986 Winnebago brochure for the Toyota also has the same disclaimer with a GVWR for a "test vehicle" only.

post-1279-0-67213300-1449610070_thumb.jp

No disclaimer anywhere but there is an asterisk next to the GVWR on an article from motorhome magazine that the Toyota yahoo group has in their files section. It's just a footnote leading to the weight 930lbs that an owner can add to their RV safely. All ands up to 5950lbs.

Linda S

The Leisure Odyssey Inc. sticker in the door frame of our '87 Odyssey gives a GVWR of 5500 lb.

attachicon.gifdolphin500_specs.jpg

No disclaimer anywhere but there is an asterisk next to the GVWR on an article from motorhome magazine that the Toyota yahoo group has in their files section. It's just a footnote leading to the weight 930lbs that an owner can add to their RV safely. All ands up to 5950lbs.

Linda S

What you posted says it is for a "test vehicle." Looks like a disclaimer to me. Since when is a privately-owned motorhome a "test vehicle?" This kind of reminds me when many companies used to sell exhaust systems that eliminated catalytic converters and sold them as "test exhaust systems" to circumvent the law. That's what I've been stating all along here. Winnebago did the same for a few models like this from a 1986 Winnebago spec-sheet.

post-6578-0-12384600-1449616099_thumb.jp

It says nothing in the rest of the article about them reviewing a test model that is any different than the regular models for sale. To me that reads as the model they drove," tested", for the article and only that. That same weight shows on the Dolphin brochures with no footnotes.

Linda S

The complete article says that National RV had the unit certified for the extra weight.

Linda S

During my 15 years around RV's I have never heard of an RV being certified for extra weight! Be very interesting to find out the in's and out's of how that was done, who did it, even who has the authority to do it? Jim SW FL

Yup can be done. Data must be submitted to the Federal Vehicle Safety Standards compliance unit for approval. Their records don't go back far enough for me to get the Dolphin docs online but if they hadn't had it approved every Dolphin with the higher GVWR would have had to have the tags clearly say it was manufactured outside of OEM pass through limits. I'm betting a big company like National RV did due diligence and had all the right stuff done. This is the only company that sought out every Dolphin and Seabreeze on the road they could find and paid for the axle upgrade when that issue came up. Doesn't sound like a company that shirked their responsibilities.

Linda S

Due to some options on my semi new 2011 Tacoma there is a sticker that states that my load carrying capacity is reduced by 1KG or one rock! So I guess some one is paying attention.

During my 15 years around RV's I have never heard of an RV being certified for extra weight! Be very interesting to find out the in's and out's of how that was done, who did it, even who has the authority to do it? Jim SW FL

There were many micro-mini RV makers that did it. As far as I can tell - it voids Toyota's warranty. So an RV maker -like Dolphin can get the GVWR upped a bit and recertified to make it highway legal - but then they have to handle any Toyota related repair issues. I.e. Toyota warranty is null and void. Dolphin used a disclaimer next to their upped GVWR. So did MRV when they sold Toyota RVs in 1985 with a whopping 6000 lb. GVWR. Even Lance used the same disclaimer with their huge 11' truck camper when sold to go on Ford F250s. Dolphin, MRV, Coachmen, Winnebago, Lance, et. al. all used the exact same wording that looks a little erroneous to me. Who the heck considers their motorhome or camper a "test coach?" The disclaimer with all reads . . "owner may add up to XXX lbs. in passengers, and supplies in vehicles equipped as test coach without violating chassis manufacturer's maximum GVWR.

Also - about the segment of the magazine article Linda posted. It is clearly incorrect in some aspects. It HAS to be. The front axle rating is given twice in the same article and it is different each time (number DO not match).

When being interviewed for a May 1983 motorhome article - the president of Dolphin RV Products - Wayne Mertes said this about the added weight put on the Toyota chassis's for micro-minis. ". . Of course, the coach-builders modifications void any chassis warranty that may apply." (page 79, May, 1983 Trailer Life Magazine interview with Wayne Mertes of Dolphin and Art Garner - press supervisor for Toyota USA.)