1990 Sunrader Restoration

flatspin

Hey all. I'm a few weeks into the restoration of our 21' 1990 Sunrader. I've got a blog up on the progress so far. Would love any comments or suggestions!

www.sunrader.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Hey all. I'm a few weeks into the restoration of our 21' 1990 Sunrader. I've got a blog up on the progress so far. Would love any comments or suggestions!

www.sunrader.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Just read it top to bottom. Well, bottom to top, actually. Enjoyed it very much. Suggestions? Only one. Write more!

Looks great. I like the that you have "trip reports" as well as projects.

Well I sure hope to post more trips that occur entirely in the Sunrader! While I do love the train, six or seven hours to travel 90 miles is more what I would expect from a great bike ride. I'm hoping to get the rig into the upholstery shop by mid-week this week. Carpet in the cab and rebuilding of the seats and all the cushions is on tap.

Looks like you're having a good time cleaning up your Sunrader. I like your dedication to details and a clean look. Nice lookin boombox too. Floor looks great + the painted aluminum. (that hammer paint is really great stuff.)

2 things sort of jump out at me after reading your blog:

• How is it you're short for storage space with 21'?
  • I was under the impression that the newer sunraders did away with those windows upfront?

Looks like you're having a good time cleaning up your Sunrader. I like your dedication to details and a clean look. Nice lookin boombox too. Floor looks great + the painted aluminum. (that hammer paint is really great stuff.)

2 things sort of jump out at me after reading your blog:

• How is it you're short for storage space with 21'?
  • I was under the impression that the newer sunraders did away with those windows upfront?

Thanks! I have to say your project was a huge inspiration to take mine on. That boombox has served me well... And it is the right era for the rig too :) The hammered metal paint is amazing -- it really sticks well to just about anything and the texture eliminates any noticeable user introduced flaws. Hopefully it holds up just as well.

As for storage space, I'm just trying to be prudent. We're a 5-pack with the kids so things get a little snug -- and with the restoration i want to make things as functional as possible. So once I pulled out the oven and had that gaping cavern of inside-outside accessible storage my mind got to thinking. Plus, we do so much in the way of cycling trips that we wind up with big awkward shaped things like pumps and wheels and such.

This rig was manufactured in 89 but listed as a 90 on all the literature I have. So I'm not sure about the dates of transition on the front windows. Speaking of windows, I'm probably going to have to reseal the wraparounds again. Somehow they've got a little dribble coming through. Grumble.

Thanks for the pics. I'm very interested in the shot of the metal bracing across the roof. I'm assuming this is what the later Sunraders had to keep the roof from bowing down with an A/C unit installed. Do you have more pics of how these attach and maybe the radius? Thanks. Floor looks beautiful.

Out of curiosity how much would you say the oven weighs? Been thinking of transferring weight during a future renovation and would really appreciate a rough estimate ahead of time. Thanks

It was pretty easy for me to lift out and move around. There's not much to it. I'd guess around 30lbs. Better yet, I'll try to remember to plop it on the bathroom scale at some point. Do folks use those ovens much? Ours, after 20 years, is immaculate, which tells me that it wasn't used all that much.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to decide whether to reinstall it (along with new countertop) or just ditch it and go with a stovetop and reclaim the space underneath.

Thanks for the pics. I'm very interested in the shot of the metal bracing across the roof. I'm assuming this is what the later Sunraders had to keep the roof from bowing down with an A/C unit installed. Do you have more pics of how these attach and maybe the radius? Thanks. Floor looks beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words about the floor. Aside from a lot of little cuts, the laminate stuff is easy to put in.

As for the metal bracing: You bet. post-3411-12687959763286_thumb.jpg

The supports attach along the outside ridge with what appear to be carriage bolts right through the fiberglass. I'm sure i should probably loosen them and put some new sealant in there at some point, but i'm not quite ready for it yet. As for the radius, hmmmm...that's a tough one. If anyone has a great idea on how to measure it, I'll give it a shot. You may notice in the background some tearing on the luan surface. Pulling the old carpet out from behind it is a chore and i got a little impatient.

Thanks. 30 pounds doesn't sound too bad. Let me know if you do throw it on the scale.

I've actually used mine many times. Works great and automatically shuts off and turns back on to maintain the proper internal temp. I've baked fish, pizza, chicken, etc. Surprisingly works great! Thanks again

Thanks. 30 pounds doesn't sound too bad. Let me know if you do throw it on the scale.

I've actually used mine many times. Works great and automatically shuts off and turns back on to maintain the proper internal temp. I've baked fish, pizza, chicken, etc. Surprisingly works great! Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback on the stove! I'll put it on the scale this weekend.

Just dropped the rig off for new carpet and upholstery... photos soon!

Thanks for the feedback on the stove! I'll put it on the scale this weekend.

Just dropped the rig off for new carpet and upholstery... photos soon!

Just read your blog. Great job.

What carpet did you use in the cab? How much did it cost to upholster the frt?

More pictures:)

Henry 85 Sunrader

Great Blog. I think i might start my own with my 1979 Sunrader. I have to agree that shag carpet is not a good choice. Seems that was the first thing they installed and then built the cabinets and installed the wiring etc...man what a pain. It's as if staples were free back then.

Did you ever think of laying formica or laminate on top of existing cabinets? I am going to try it and see what happens. I like the hammerite idea and boom box idea as well, smart!

Look forward to seing your progress and the finished product!

We're a 5-pack with the kids so things get a little snug --
Wow! I have a new respect for you. Sounds like a blast!
This rig was manufactured in 89 but listed as a 90 on all the literature I have. So I'm not sure about the dates of transition on the front windows. Speaking of windows, I'm probably going to have to reseal the wraparounds again. Somehow they've got a little dribble coming through. Grumble.
I just read somewhere on these forums that those wrap around windows were a California design lol and not necessarily by year. According to the post I read (wish I had the link sorry) the Sunraders manufactured elsewhere in the country used non-wrap OR no windows at all. Hey, it never rains in California right? Wonder what ToyoGuy did with the windows I gave him? I don't miss them. Lots of nice toasty insulation up there now. :) Hopefully, you'll find a solution to your dilemma. I feel for you.
I've actually used mine (oven) many times. Works great and automatically shuts off and turns back on to maintain the proper internal temp. I've baked fish, pizza, chicken, etc. Surprisingly works great! Thanks again
yum! If you got it USE IT! Wonder how many campers have those ovens and never use them tho? I've made some brownies with a pan inside a pan held up by some rocks, but will admit they weren't oven quality. Those dutch ovens look pretty interesting and the stuff the internet pics claim can be done with them at dutch oven contests look damn good. I was given a solar oven as a present from one of my hippie friends here in Santa Cruz. It uses some mirrors in a box, but it doesn't quite do what an oven can do. Still am grateful for the present and thought. How far can you smell the pizza from your camp? Ever bake any Garlic bread? That would definitely turn some heads. :sorcerer:

Great Blog. I think i might start my own with my 1979 Sunrader. I have to agree that shag carpet is not a good choice.

Shag me baby! Shag was so hip at one time as was those popcorn acoustic ceilings. Weird fads. Ya you should start a blog! I enjoy reading how the destruction bug possess ppl. Everything starts out mellow, then BAM! It's all in pieces! Your Sunrader looks like it is on an 80's truck tho? I thought 79 Toyota truck had the 2 headlight grill?

Just read your blog. Great job.

What carpet did you use in the cab? How much did it cost to upholster the frt?

More pictures:)

Henry 85 Sunrader

I looked around a lot for carpet kits online. there are a few major vendors, and you can find a setup in OEM colors for around 200 bucks. It all depends on quality, whether you want heavier backing (sound, insulation, etc.). I wound up opting to go with a local custom shop who is doing the work for me. I haven't got all the estimates in, but it will be a bit more with his markup and since he's doing the installation.

I expect seats to be in the 300-350 range each including new foam, better bolstering and completely new fabric. I priced out some already re-done seats at the local Toyota pickup salvage place and they were the same price (asking) and not nearly as nice as what we can do custom. And since I can't do metal fabrication myself, putting in seats from a different vehicle was pricing out at about the same -- and they wouldn't match.

I need to be home in the daytime to get photos done, but I will. Here's an iPhone shot of the new carpet.

post-3411-12690509048184_thumb.jpg

Great Blog. I think i might start my own with my 1979 Sunrader. I have to agree that shag carpet is not a good choice. Seems that was the first thing they installed and then built the cabinets and installed the wiring etc...man what a pain. It's as if staples were free back then.

Did you ever think of laying formica or laminate on top of existing cabinets? I am going to try it and see what happens. I like the hammerite idea and boom box idea as well, smart!

Look forward to seing your progress and the finished product!

Definitely start a blog. I learn so much about this stuff from the experiences of others, it is absolutely invaluable. They did indeed build these things from the outside in. SO many days I thought about just peeling everything back to the fiberglass. Maybe next time. Between staples, shag carpet and particleboard i may need some time at Betty Ford before this whole thing is done.

I can't say enough (so far) about the textured spraypaint. We'll have to see how it fares after a few trips, but I'm really impressed with its adhesion to metal and plastic so far.

I did actually consider getting some laminate and resurfacing the cabinets, but ultimately decided on paint because it was so much less of an investment in the particleboard. A few areas of my existing cabinets got soaked by a crack in the water heater, so they've mushed. I think within a few years I'll redo at least the kitchen side of the rig in new plywood cabinetry...

By the boombox, are you referring to the subwoofer? Omg, what a difference that makes and i swear that speaker was 10 bucks on Amazon. Even if it only lasts one season I'll be a happy guy.

One thing I did that I am glad of was to use Dynamat under the carpet, up the firewall, and inside of the doors. On top of the Dynamat I put some aluminum sided closed cell foam insulation. It is quiet as a church mouse now. I can hardly hear the hissing of the air coming through the Downey racing intake now.

V6-Downey-cleaner.jpg

Yeah, I talked with the interior guy a lot about Dynamat and ended up scratching it from my budget (yeah, i have a budget)... How much improvement have you seen from the intake?

Dynamat has to be a kickass product if Jay Leno supports it! :) Sexy Air intake! Gotta get one of those!

New carpet is in...posted a few photos to the blog. More progress this week.

http://sunrader.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-carpet.html

Couple of new blog posts on the carpet installation this weekend. Slow progress, but I think it is looking good. I have such a good time working on the restoration that I'd love to take a week or two off just to work on it full time. But between kids baseball and the occasional bike ride, the weekends are full and I'm only getting a few hours a week in on the project. I can't complain though, it's still a blast.

http://sunrader.blog...f-patterns.html

Just got back from the upholstery shop. The seats and door panels are in. It is hard to see in the photos (hey, it is dark out) but Mike also covered the back plastic panels that go against the wall of the cab behind the seatbelts. Originally, the shag was just screwed into those. Now they've been recovered in carpet so all the ugly screw holes are gone and everything looks tidy.

http://sunrader.blog.../new-seats.html

Just read your Blog about your stove. You mentioned that Liquid Nails was a BAD choice. Was that because it was an old tube? What was it you used instead?

Could have been an old tube, most certainly. I wound up using silicone instead. It seems to have adhered well so far. The whole thing is pretty Mickey Mouse. If I were going to keep this countertop long term, I think i'd cut a whole new rim of plywood that was one piece, instead of the strips they used.

And I may wind up putting a couple of low-profile screws down through the fiberglass into the plywood just to make it as strong as possible. Not cosmetically perfect, but it might keep things from bouncing around too much...

Nice job flatspin looking real good. I took the stove/oven out of mine and built doors where the oven was with sliding drawers behind and put in a two burner stove top. I think the only time the oven was ever used is when I cooked some toast in it one morning. It will give you a lot of space. I use a convection toaster oven instead whole lot less heat inside on a summer day.post-669-12702524027909_thumb.jpg

Nice job flatspin looking real good. I took the stove/oven out of mine and built doors where the oven was with sliding drawers behind and put in a two burner stove top. I think the only time the oven was ever used is when I cooked some toast in it one morning. It will give you a lot of space. I use a convection toaster oven instead whole lot less heat inside on a summer day.post-669-12702524027909_thumb.jpg

Thanks Maineah. I have to say i really like the idea of replacing the oven with a simple stove -- especially looking at something like you've done where it is so cleanly done. More storage, more counter space, etc. It may happen when I do the countertop swap out. Then again, the stove does run on propane which is a big positive... We'll have to see this season how often we use the gas option.

Thanks Maineah. I have to say i really like the idea of replacing the oven with a simple stove -- especially looking at something like you've done where it is so cleanly done. More storage, more counter space, etc. It may happen when I do the countertop swap out. Then again, the stove does run on propane which is a big positive... We'll have to see this season how often we use the gas option.

Yes the propane is a plus if you are not some where you can plug in. I wonder just how many people do use their ovens? I can do most any thing other then bake on the stove top.

I know that all my needs would be met with 2 burners (well, actually 1) and a combination microwave/convection oven. Likewise, a single sink would be fine. I suspect all the other stuff added was a sort of 'arms race' between the various builders to try and out do each other. I'd rather have the extra space and lower weight. I'm a minimalist/survivalist cook at home and I don't expect to get all inspired while boondocking in a Walmart parking lot!

Just read it top to bottom. Well, bottom to top, actually. Enjoyed it very much. Suggestions? Only one. Write more!

Just read the blog - great work. This would be a great rig to take to one of those Toyin's that Tika arranges each summer. I have an 89 sunrader that I need to do a little work on. Unfortunately, my growing family of four has outgrown it and we will have to get something bigger. Cannot wait from some warmer days to spend some time on it and have someone else enjoy it as much as we did.

No suggestions - although I think I ned to run over the hill and give the RV doctor a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

We're planning to hit the road for the first time in May with five of us on board. Hopefully since 3/5 of the crew are under 13, we'll be aok. I've had a couple weekends off, but got back to work yesterday and today on putting in more carpet and some other little bits and pieces.

http://sunrader.blogspot.com/2010/04/bunch-of-bunk.html

Hi,

I've really enjoyed your blog and the Sunrader is looking great. I'm doing some of the same updates to mine. Can you tell me how the carpet around the coach door is attached? I can see in one of your photos that you have the door latch parts removed. Did you have to remove any other door hardware to get it out?

Thanks,

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC Co

Hi,

I've really enjoyed your blog and the Sunrader is looking great. I'm doing some of the same updates to mine. Can you tell me how the carpet around the coach door is attached? I can see in one of your photos that you have the door latch parts removed. Did you have to remove any other door hardware to get it out?

Thanks,

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC Co

Thanks Brad... sounds like a fun project! :ThumbUp:

There is one word. Staples. As with all the other carpet in my rig, it was wrapped on and stapled. Removing it is a chore -- I wound up using a flat pry bar and a big flat screwdriver and a pair of flat nosed pliers to pull out the staples. I wound up removing the latch hardware and loosening the door frame in a couple of places where they'd tucked in the original carpet -- nothing too complicated. In addition, my rig had a plywood panel above the door that was covered in shag. Once i pulled off the shag I could get to the screws that held it to the door frame, etc. I'm going to start recovering everything in black carpet tomorrow, so I'll try to get some pictures that show it a little bit better.

Edited by flatspin

Thanks Brad... sounds like a fun project! thumbup.gif

There is one word. Staples. As with all the other carpet in my rig, it was wrapped on and stapled. Removing it is a chore -- I wound up using a flat pry bar and a big flat screwdriver and a pair of flat nosed pliers to pull out the staples. I wound up removing the latch hardware and loosening the door frame in a couple of places where they'd tucked in the original carpet -- nothing too complicated. In addition, my rig had a plywood panel above the door that was covered in shag. Once i pulled off the shag I could get to the screws that held it to the door frame, etc. I'm going to start recovering everything in black carpet tomorrow, so I'll try to get some pictures that show it a little bit better.

Same with our sunrader (sold it) the guy with the stapler went bananas.

Its all looking really nice! I have a question about the cab floor carpet. How hard was that to do? In you blog you mention you bought pre-moulded for the truck. I ask because that is a summer project here.

As a side note, when we did the sunraders floor there must have been enough sand under the carpet to fill a QT jar.

Same with our sunrader (sold it) the guy with the stapler went bananas.

Its all looking really nice! I have a question about the cab floor carpet. How hard was that to do? In you blog you mention you bought pre-moulded for the truck. I ask because that is a summer project here.

As a side note, when we did the sunraders floor there must have been enough sand under the carpet to fill a QT jar.

YES... after a bunch of web surfing and speaking with my local upholstery guru, the carpet kit was the right choice. The upside is that it really conforms to the floor perfectly and the work required is just a little bit of final trimming. He also recommended just using regular jute padding vs. dynamat based on the cost-weight-value. You'll want to order some matching yardage to cover the exposed back wall of the cab. Not a big deal, but something to plan for. A little bit of contact adhesive works great to hold it in place. DAP (the solvent based stuff) is what we used.

In terms of degree of difficulty, I'd say installation of the new carpet is significantly easier than removal of the original. Once the seats and seatabelts are out, the carpet goes in really easily.

AND YES... there was grit everywhere, even in the overhead pieces of carpet. At first i had the sinking feeling that my rig had been buried in the desert at some point in its life. If you really wanna feel grossed out, our friend who restores old muscle cars said that it was mostly dead skin. :sick: I don't want to believe him!