1990 Sunrader Restoration

flatspin

Made a lot of progress last weekend getting cabinet doors painted and reinstalled, finishing up the carpeting around the coach door and the overhead supports. Lots of bits and pieces left to go, but it is starting to look like the end is in reach. Good thing, too because we're supposed to do a shakedown run in the next week or two...then drive down to So Cal to watch the Tour of California at the end of May. Gettin close.

Posted a bunch of new pictures on the blog -- www.sunrader.blogspot.com

• 3 months later...

Well we have a few trips under our belt and have learned a lot.

The good news:

- All systems work well. Hot and cold running water, cold fridge, no big leaks anywhere (even around the front windows!)

- About 2500 new miles on the odo without any mechanicals. almost time for an oil change.

- We can get level (sometimes) with the airbags alone, which is quite a treat.

The bad news:

The cabinet housing the sink and the stove is just done. 20 years of hard labor on top of the 1-ton rear axle has just pulverized the particleboard. Most, if not all of the latches holding doors and drawers closed are on their second repositioning, so everything is a little 'tricky' to get shut before getting underway.

I'm thinking this off season will mean some major interior construction. A new kitchen cabinet, and probably the supporting face panels underneath the rear dinette. All those are similarly tired, and when i tried to tighten down a few screws during the restoration I had to be really careful not to just smash the particleboard to bits.

So, my question after all of that is... what materials have folks found best for cabinet construction? Any great suggestions on installation and attachment? The walls, of course, are just that luan over foam so there isn't much value in anchoring there so I'm thinking screws to the floor are the best bet. And a full plywood cabinet rather than the particleboard face frame with luan side panels...

So? What works best?

Thanks all.

latest on my rig at www.sunrader.blogspot.com

Our Conquest cabinetry is wood framing with Luann on the outside. The bottoms of the cabinets are wood framing with Luann on both sides of the framing. It all makes for a ultra-lite structure. That much plywood or particle board is really heavy.

I'll have to develop some new skills (or some new friends) before building from-scratch face-frame cabinets, but I hear you about the weight penalty... From looking around it seems like the strongest/lightest approach is a hardwood faceframe with luan sides...

• 5 months later...

I am looking to replace the rear box on my 1990 Sunrader that was cracked at the hinge mount when I got rear-ended. Does anyone have any luck with fiberglass repair on these boxes? What are the chances of replacing this box?

Thanks for the help