I just noticed at 102k miles, I'm hearing a slight knocking sound from engine. I have not had anything done on my engine or tuneup in 2 years. I'm due for a 5000 mile oil change. Any advice before I take it in. These engines need a timing belt done? I have not been using much this summer since winter.  

8 hours ago, kayakthecoast said:

t These engines need a timing belt done? 

No, there is no belt and a loose chain would not "knock."    Is it worse at first start up?  Turbo Isuzu 2.2 diesels were known for having rod bearings and piston pins wear early and knock. I don't know if Toyotas with turbos suffer the same fate.   No real "knock" is good if it increases with RPMs.  Might want to pull the drive-belts off the engine and spin everything to make sure it's not something external (I doubt it) - like an alternator bearing, AC pump bearing, water-pump bearing,etc.

If it rattles at or slightly off idle then chances are pretty high it's chain rattle usually the chain and guides start to go some where around 100 to 150K on the RE engines it would be noticeable sitting still. If that is what you are hearing don't ignore it the chain will eventually beat a hole in the timing chain cover and flood the sump with antifreeze. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today I noticed my engine manifold had cracked and was the main culprit of the rattle! But now that I fixed that I still think my timing might be a little off and probably should pull my valve cover, replace the chain guide and check valve gaps. Can I use a timing gun on this engine? And adjust?

Edited by kayakthecoast

I think the drill should be set timing (easy peasy), adjust the valves, THEN replace the timing chain. IF the problem persists.

Edited by WME