I am on my second new replacement gas tank within 8 months. Both seeped gas at the weld points (first one at one point, second one at two points). I don't want to just keep replacing tanks every couple months even if they are under warrantee I still have to pay for labor. Anyone with similar problems? Any ideas on a solution? 1993 V6 3.0

Only idea is start looking for a good used factory tank. I had one replacement tank split and went that route.

My original tank did not fail but the added factory brackets failed and the tank got dragged for bit destroying it.

I would be pretty ticked off! So much so that I would want to call the company and scream at someone! I learned a long time ago that does not work very well, but does make me feel better for a bit.

I would get the name of the manufacturer and retailer. Gather up all my receipts, photo copy them and send a well thought out letter with copies of receipts to them.

If no response and I mean them willing to kick in for your inconvenience and repair costs I would then send copies to anyone in Gov that has anything to do with safety.

Not only is a leaking tank expensive and inconvenient it is very dangerous and if they are making defective dangerous products they should be put out of business.

Now should you include a warning about sending copies to every official you can think of in the first letter or wait until you get a response?

Do you have small claims court in your area, another possibility. Jim

Yes my tank was a Spectra. They use a roller welder to go around the flange and weld the tank halves together. Just not enough penetration. No warranty because of the "after market" mount. That is why I went to the used tank and rebuilt the mounts.

Maybe Spectra had a problem with just a few tanks. I don't even know if they make them or just buy from various suppliers. I've got three vehicles with Spectra replacement tanks with zero issues.

I can't speak for all states. In New York and Michigan - if you file a claim in small-claims-court it has to be done where the person or business resides that you are making the claim against. NOT where you happen to live. Also - again - in NY and MI and likely many other states - small claims court has little to no power of enforcement. A judge might find in your favor and you still might not get the money. With a company like Spectra - I suppose if you filed a claim in small-claims-court - it would have to take place where-ever the tank retailer resides or does business. I know if I bought one - it would come from Rock Auto parts. I live in Michigan. If I took them to small claims court - it would likely have to be in Madison, Wisconsin. I can't see how it could ever be worth the bother.

I am not knowledgeable about all the laws everywhere. But when I get the short end of the stick I look at all possibilities.

A well thought out letter, postal letter, not email, can at times yield surprising results. Jim

Pease tell us what brand so others will know what

not to buy

Linda S

Linda, I am still waiting to hear back from the distributor on this information. No where on my paperwork for either tank says.

I would be pretty ticked off! So much so that I would want to call the company and scream at someone! I learned a long time ago that does not work very well, but does make me feel better for a bit.

I would get the name of the manufacturer and retailer. Gather up all my receipts, photo copy them and send a well thought out letter with copies of receipts to them.

If no response and I mean them willing to kick in for your inconvenience and repair costs I would then send copies to anyone in Gov that has anything to do with safety.

Not only is a leaking tank expensive and inconvenient it is very dangerous and if they are making defective dangerous products they should be put out of business.

Now should you include a warning about sending copies to every official you can think of in the first letter or wait until you get a response?

If it was made by Spectra, well I am SOL as they are made in Canada.

$512? (list) [1993 V6]

Derek.....were they still in stock??? I have yet to hear back from Toyota as that was indeed one of my options, altho an extremely expensive one. These after market ones sell for as little as $84!

I emailed Spectra (even tho I don't know the maker of the 2 that failed) just to see what they had to say. Plus I know a Toy owner who had 2 Spectra's fail on them. Here was their response:

"Good day Sir,

We are sorry to hear that you had some issues with a Spectra Premium gas tank.
All claim should be submitted where the product was purchased. They will then contact Spectra Premium; from there the product will have to be return to us, inspected and tested.
In order to process such request we will require purchase and installation invoices.
It is important that the product and the invoices are return together, avoiding to do so the inspection/testing will not be processed.

Could you let me know what the part number is and where it was purchased so I can fill out an incident report?"

Sounds like a lot of hoops to go thru if one fails even tho they do give a 3 year warrantee. The others only give a 1 year. My last one failed within the month! I am seriously considering finding one in a salvage yard. The original ones last 25 years!!!

Do either of your invoices have any indication of the part number installed? Spectra gas tank numbers are like 'TO09B'. How far are you from where the latest tank was installed? Half a continent away? Who actually bought the tank? You? Or the installer?

Sorry, I don't remember which of the online Toyota Dealer sites I found that price. There are also several Toyota PN to chose from, depending on year, model (like RN85), etc.

http://1sttoyotaparts.com/

http://www.toyotapartsdirect.com/

Etc.

Yeah, my first 2 were only 1 yr warantees. Part numbers on them are 2800613LI and 2800613SI. The Spectra is part # TO10B. Tank #1 was put on in AZ and #2 in PA. The installer of #1 paid for the tank. That distributor sent me tank #2 and I am dealing with them to either refund me or give me tank #3.

They come up if you drop the letters at the end.

http://www.opticatonline.com/part/premium-aftermarket-brand-2800613-fuel-tank

Numbers are the same though so don't know what's the difference. Weird the only thing I can find about the manufacturer is that it's owned by 1-800-radiator here in California. At least you know it's not a Spectra or a Dorman which are certainly better known names

Linda S

NOW my supplier (ABC Radiator) says that my first tank was a Silla and my second tank was a Liland (so what is true I don't know as they said one thing then another) and they got them from the 1-800-Radiator place. They are giving me a $538 reimbursement to make me go away and never come back. Covers the cost to me of the original tank plus labor on both tanks. I talked to Dorman (Rock Auto gives their tank a lifetime waranty) and they said it is made in Taiwan and there return rate is very low, although I asked for a specific number and didn't get it. I am going to try my mechanic's idea.....clean the bottom real good, put Marine Tex epoxy on the two spots that are seeping PLUS covering the bottom of the tank with an aluminum plate sealed with JB Weld. Whatever you do NEVER ditch an old tank! I would of been much better off doing whatever it took to clean up my old one even tho it was really an awful rusty mess inside. They don't make them like they used to!! Thank you everyone for your help. I will report back on success of failure.