Hello All,

I looked at previous posts that queried the same issue and was not clear as to what others felt/did about sloppy fit of 15/16” wrench on upgraded rear end lugs, So here it is for another go around…

My ’84 / 18 foot Sunrader front end has lug-nuts that take a 13/16” socket w/a nice, snug, solid fit. But,.. my 6-bolt rear end (Supposedly a ’92 according to previous owner) has a sloppy, not secure-feeling fit w /15/16”on the lugs and won’t take a 7/8” either. Too small. The corners of the nuts look like Les Schwab used a 15/16”,which drive a nut, however, it just doesn’t seem right.. It seems like there must be another size between those two. Or something?

Another forum (below) listed a Dodge (full-size?) lug-nut size was available at 23mm, but most Auto supply houses I called list a 23mm wrench as a 7/8” standard-equivalent, (which, as I said, don’t fit mine)

Re: Common Lug Nut Sizes

17mm euro
22mm chevy fullsize/new honda/Ford van
23mm Dodge fullsize
27mm land rover

The chart below shows it, (23mm) as truly equivalent to 29/32” standard.

Any thoughts? Also, if 15/16” is the only alternative (Arrgh!), star wrenches do not come with 13/16” and 15/16” on one wrench, so I’m guessing others have opted for breaker bar and 10” extension w/ 2 sockets?

Any input here?

Thanks,

TG

post-1283-0-35444200-1443994811_thumb.jp

7/8" fits mine. They are 22MM now if you want to split hears it's .009" off

just checked mine with a 7/8 socket and it is too small. I stand by my 23mm. Mine are original nuts. Bought my rig with 32,000 miles on it from the son of original owner and everything was stock original.

Linda

Thank you all for checking this stuff. There's one Rader guy in my neck-o-the woods, but he ain't real schmoozy. These replies confirmed some thoughts about some folks having 7/8" and others having a larger "undetermined" size. For me using a 15/16" as recommended by the tire store just don't make it, although I understand some folks are fine with that. I can see what that's done to the corners on the nuts already. Believe I'll go with the hardened 1/2"x 10" long impact drive at "Harvard Freight" and grab a 23mm socket. With the tire-thumper/offset breaker bar that the last guy thoughtfully left me, I'll be able to put together a stowable kit with two nice tight fitting sockets.

Thanks for the stock-spec. Linda,

BR,

TG