Headlight/blinker Issue

MontanaChinook

It figures these would come up right when I want to sell it...

I haven't been driving the Chinook all summer, and I just got it out of the remote place I'm working, back into town.

Two things:

I'm blowing the blinker fuse. Blinker will be on, then I hear a noise from the middle of the dash, and no more blinkers. Fuse blown. I also hear a little static in the radio when the blinker is on. This first started happening after driving the camper out of the work site in a ton of mud, snow and rain. So I figure there's a short probably towards the tail lights caused by mud. I cleaned out back there and it hasn't happened in the last couple days...but I don't trust that it's fixed yet.

Headlights: When I pull the headlight knob, both the low beams and high beams are coming on. This is a 78 pickup with the four headlights. But at certain angles, and when I hit bumps, the high beams will flicker on and off, and sometimes go out all together and then the high beams work as they should: only when the high beam lever on the steering column is pushed forward.

There's a switch the headlight wires go to, in the cab, right behind the fuse panel. It clicks when I pull back on the high beam lever, which you do to just flash the high beams. It doesn't click when I push it forward, which you do to get the high beams to stay on. It clicks when I pull the low beam knob into the on position.

Think it's just a bad switch, or a problem with a connection somewhere? I'm no expert with a multi-meter...So I'm trying to do this mechanically and with some...uh..."reasoning"...

Check your grounds. Also your multi function headlight lever may be defective.

Thanks Fred. Grounds were my first thought but I don't know where the headlight grounds are...I've got the Toyota service manual for just the engine, but no other systems. No wiring diagrams. Happen to know where headlight grounds are?

Also, it's only the left blinker which makes the radio get static-y. And yeah, the blinker lever is the same lever as the high beam level. I tried getting the steering wheel off earlier but it looks like I need a puller. I could get the wheel off my 83 by just pulling real hard, but that wasn't working with this truck...Would I need to pull the wheel to get at the lever? Is there just an electrical switch it attaches to or something?

Just unplug a high beam light and follow the wires. One should be 12v and the other ground.

Zach,

The front turn signals ground to the sheet metal valance under the bumper. Only a single 12v wire goes to the socket. Remove the two outside screws on each assembly and lightly sand the contact surface(s).

The front chassis ground is about 6 inches to the left of the mfg. id plate. On my vehicle its attached to the left hand bolt of the voltage control regulator. It should be white with a black stripe.

I'm guessing the switch may be the problem. You will need to find a steering wheel puller to access the guts. The threaded holes should be 8x1.25mm. Rock auto is a good source for parts. fred

Ok, thank you.

I just drove the camper to town to get it out of the valley and the miles of dirt road, before it snows. And so it was near a town to sell it. I could work on it this morning but now it may have to sit for the rest of the week until I can get back next weekend. I'll hopefully have time to look at it once more before I head back out of town for the week, but won't have time to really work on stuff till next weekend.

I'll look into the wires, and a steering wheel puller.

If your in any size city, most auto part stores will "loan" you tools. A steering wheel puller is very common.

Good call!

Unfortunately with the interest I'm starting to get, I'll probably need to mention this to people. Probably not going to be able to get it fixed before someone comes to look at it. Oh well. Was hoping to find a simple fix and not even have to say anything, but simple fix or not, it probably won't happen in time.

I'll see if I can get to the grounds today before I head back out into the wilderness. If that doesn't do it, I'll get the steering wheel off next weekend.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I would start by looking at the wiring harness coming out of the steering column - especially to see if a critter has been in there. I would expect a multitude of gang-plugs which I would look at carefully - maybe even try to reseat them.

Ditto for the fuse panel.