Jd And Totem

Totem

I think the duramax is a great GM diesel. Of course its a bit newer and not the sort of fuel delivery anyone here can want to talk about nor afford brand new, but a great motor nonetheless.

I guess it was mostly Isuzu engineers that designed the Duramax. At least the first one. My farmer-neighbor bought one of the first ones. I think he still has it. It was pretty funny when he first got it. He had been driving a 1993 Dodge-Cummins for years. It was all rusted out and he traded it in when he got his new Duramax. But - he had been running his Dodge for years on dyed heating oil. When he got his new Duramax - filled the tank with heating oil and the computer put it into "limp mode" and it would not go any faster then 35-40 MPH. So he drove it back to the Chevy dealerhip and demanded they "fix it." He quickly found out the new Duramax could sense his off-road fuel and by using it -he had voided his new-truck warranty. He had paid cash for the truck and I guess the Chevy people wanted to keep him for a customer. So they drained his tank - put new fuel and filters in it and pretended it all never happened. He then bought his old Dodge-Cummins back and still has it. So he has both trucks. Still runs dyed fuel in the Dodge. He loves the Duramax but still complains it won't run on dyed fuel. Also complains about the mileage. Gets 14 MPG on the highway and his Dodge had always gotten around 19-20 MPG. I've been told the later Duramax trucks do a lot better. I have never owned one nor driven one. Probably never will. My three diesel trucks I have now are likely to outlast me (Ford-IH, Dodge-Cummins, and an Isuzu).

Here is my "pre-Durmax." 1985 Isuzu PUP 4WD with a 2.2 liter diesel. Makes a max of 58 horsepower @ 4300 RPM and 93 pound feet of torque @ 2200 RPM. Truck has been a real workshorse. Gets around 27-30 MPG no matter what I do. I had seriously considered sticking a Chinook body on it but I suspect it would be so low on power - it would be no thrill to drive.

The new Chevy 2.8 liter Duramax is rated at 181 horsepower @ 3400 RPM and 369 pound feet of max torque @ 2000 RPM. I'd love to have one in a new Colorado if someone would give me one and also pay the sales tax on it. Even though I hate Chevrolet now - I'd take the truck anyway.

Toyota is coming out with a 5 liter Cummins in the Tundra. I assume to compete with the new Chevy light diesel? Toyota already has its own 4.5 liter diesel. I wonder why they are choosing the Cummins instead?

post-6578-0-05005800-1443029001_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28447600-1443029063_thumb.jp

I forgot to mention - Nissan is also going to use the Cummins 5 liter diesel - just like Toyota. Nissan is no longer a Japanese company so I'm not so surprised. I still find it odd that Toyota is using it though.

post-6578-0-26562200-1443029928_thumb.jp

now THAT is the article that I was looking for... complete sell out of the half ton diesels by RAM. every single one. sold. Perhaps "cult" is the word or "counter culture" in any event, there is a massive following of people that want the diesels and also those that service them, as road vehicles. That being said, maaaaaan the pricetag on those is just plain untenable for me. I could never afford or justify that kind of cash for a truck.

I always joke that I will get one though or a duramax... in 15 years.

for now I quite like my 12 valve ram. I am quite sure the motor is physically incapable of dying; the KDP was fixed and it runs soooo good. I know I will probably need another trans and body soon but that motor is solid.

I just put bilsteins in the back and was going to put them in the front. that's when I broke the silly perch/spring seat mounts; they were rusted to solid metal.

They also proved to be a very difficult part to source... napa didn't even have the part number in the computer here. nada. part number K160015.

I don't see the advantage anymore. That is - buying a new diesel for the average person. Fuel mileage is not all that great when compared to modern gas vehicles. Not unless you need it for towing. Diesel fuel costs more then gas usually - and often a LOT more. Even the state of Michigan is now considering upping the diesel fuel tax. Back in the days of the first VW diesels - it was a $700 option. Not so anymore. And now - even if diesels DO gain sales - they have little in common with what diesels used to be. Diesel owners used to be a special breed and had to know things gas-vehicle owners did not. How to treat fuel for winter use. How to start them. That was part of the problem why they did not become mainstream. They were different and often too underpowered for people used to gas engines. Diesels no longer start, run, or sound like diesels used to . Right now - Dodge 1/2 ton Ecodiesels have a 12% sales share to dealers lots. That's not how many have actually been bought by real people. Not much different then when Chevy introduced the K5 diesel Blazer in 1982. Then sales dropped off every year.

I wonder what happened to GM's new gasoline-diesel engine? They said they were close to releasing it right before they went bankrupt. Never heard about it again. It was a gas engine that used the compression-ignition "diesel" principal.

At this point - it's of little matter to me. I won't live long enough to see one of these "new" diesels get old enough where I'd buy one.

If I had a dollar for every year I read that GM is going to release new high efficiency diesel cars and half tons in the US I could afford one of them. they NEVER do it. ever.

Jeep however did with that liberty and it supposedly can be modified (illegally in 2 states) to get close to 30 mpg on that 4 banger; but they stopped making them.. 2007 and do you know why? the regulations on emissions; same ones that VW just got caught cheating on. Their CEO resigned yesterday and that's a pretty huge thing for such a small following of sales of TDIs in the USA. nevertheless the counter culture of American diesel owners in the past was never ALLOWED to become much of a major culture here at all; and that's thanks to the good ole' café at the epa. I still maintain there is a culture though.

This VW thing is particularly amusing to me because being obsessed with MPG and particulate emissions is in itself the definition of insanity. One may as well try to make toothpaste with fluoride that is sweetened with soda pop. Lets come back to the diesel liberty; stock it got 20-25 MPG as opposed to its gas counterpart of 13-17 mpg. fuel tank capacity was exactly the same. 0-60 MPH was 10 on the gas and 10.1 on the diesel and the diesel could tow 5000 lbs... on a 4 banger; much more than the rating of the gas counterpart. I hunted for a nice one for a while before reading the horror stories on repairs and lack of parts. so for me my diesel cars are all mainstream ones; VW, Mercedes and dodge truck.

Still, Its absolutely criminal that the epa wants to choke off a motor to "clean its emssions" when in fact this lowers fuel economy and range on a tank. Look; people are going to drive; they will always need to get from a to b, so why choke off the car on emissions if you are in effect forcing them to burn twice the fuel to get there? I will never for the life of me understand that; its criminal and the goal I think is to burn more fuel not reduce emissions. The emissions boogie man has killed innovation in the USA. People should measure fuel effectiveness in moving you as measured by cost. Cost per mile should be the true rating. if measured that way people would see the actual impact of all of the "safety and emissions" gear in vehicles is carefully crafted to get at their wallet.

If I had a dollar for every year I read that GM is going to release new high efficiency diesel cars and half tons in the US I could afford one of them. they NEVER do it. ever.

I no longer have any use or respect for GM. That being said - in the past -they were one of the first American companies to offer light diesels. Too bad they started their efforts with Oldsmobile gas engines converted to diesels. A big flop. I guess GM figured that if Deere, Isuzu, VW, International Harvester, Nissan, etc. could do it - why not them? Chevy Chevette diesel was a great little car. Has an Isuzu engine though, not GM. S10 Blazer and Jimmys were also available with Isuzu diesels, along with the LUV. Chevy offered the first decent diesel in 1982 for light trucks and it was "almost" their engine. The 6.2 was a new ground-up design done by Detroit Diesel which was a division of GM at the time. The original plan with the 6.2 was to offer it as a direct power replacement for the 305 gas engine with much better efficiency. It was. My 1982 K10 4WD pickup with a 6.2 got 23 MPG on a flat highway. Same with a 305 gas engine got maybe 15 MPG on good day. Problem was - American drivers wanted and expected more power from an engine that big. So it got bigger, more fuel delivery, turbo added, etc. and too much power was asked of an engine built that light.

Technically, Dodge beat GM by offering full size 1/2 ton trucks in 1978 with Mitsubishi diesels. But they were so underpowered - sales went nowhere.

Before Dodge -Jeep- offered CJs with 3.1 liter four cylinder Perkins diesel engines. That was from 1961 to 1968. I'd love to have one but they are pretty scarce and were not big sellers.

The little diesel Chevy Cruze is kind of neat little car. It can get 50 MPG on the highway, but the gas version gets 40 MPG. Not a huge difference. The diesel Cruze uses a German Opel engine. The old diesel Chevette in the 80s was also based on the German Opel. If I ever get a chance to buy a diesel Cruze for $1000 - I'll try one out. I suspect I'll have to wait quite a few years.

There's a young woman I see at the local Walmart often with a diesel Cruze. She has Michigan license plates on it. If I hadn't seen her and her car - I wouldn't of known they existed. She was sitting there with the engine idling and I heard a slight knock. Then I got closer and found out it was a diesel.

wow I found almost an affordable one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Cruze-Diesel-/111717153277?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a02dc79fd&item=111717153277

$17,000...good gracious

My last purchase, TDI jetta wagon my wife and I bought used was $2500 out the door and is a 2005 and looks mint runs great with 180k on the odo.

Its been running no problemmo for 2 years now. Maybe in 10 years we will revisit these...

wow I found almost an affordable one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Cruze-Diesel-/111717153277?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a02dc79fd&item=111717153277

$17,000...good gracious

My last purchase, TDI jetta wagon my wife and I bought used was $2500 out the door and is a 2005 and looks mint runs great with 180k on the odo.

Its been running no problemmo for 2 years now. Maybe in 10 years we will revisit thes

Used diesel cars and light trucks have always been bargain anywhere I've lived. I paid $2500 for a pair of 1992 diesel Jettas maybe 15 years ago. Never had any engine issues other then a few glow plugs. Before I left NY last year - I had 14 diesel cars, trucks, and tractors. Down to 6 now.

A few years ago when my trans went in my diesel Ford F250 in Canada - I got to talk to a few other diesel owners. This was in London, Ontario. These guys were in disbelief when I told them how much I've paid for some of my diesel trucks in cars. Seems - at least in that part of Canada - used diesel trucks went for much higher.

I drove all the way to north Chicago to get the jetta at $2500. Even better than the price was what happened to it... it got damaged in a car wash in Ohio... and because Ohio is a fault state we got a check for $1400, only the bumper was scratched and turn signal cracked. So now we only have $1100 into it. Its nice roomy and averages 40 MPG

• 2 weeks later...

quoting totem on another related topic,

"Almost everyone I spoke to considered this site and its inhabitants to be members of a "cult"

Are we a "cult"? I don't really get that accusation as in my experience, cults push away family members and excommunicate others.

One gentlemen I spoke with who refused to give his former handle said he dropped out because of "personality conflicts" with others; namely perceived hostilities from the "ringleaders" he stated.

So as a footnote and word of advice to you "ringleaders" - this is the general consensus I received at a large sampling of data."

So I have to ask is a forum that has a topic title devoted to 2 cult heroes like this one a cult?

a "cult site"?

I have seen you sling this term cult about in another thread. You don't actually know what cult behavior is all about do you? Cults don't allow people to express differences of opinion. This forum is exactly the opposite of cult behavior. It can get in a bit of wrangling discussion at times because there is no leader who is trying to control and manipulate the behavior of the members.

Forums are as individual in nature as the people who create and populate them. Some are as dull as a ladies tea party and others are as rowdy as a biker bar. If you feel the forum is a bad fit for you then you can try to shape and mold it into something else but it would be a pretty frustrating task to get it to go there as the members of this forum are, ironically in your case, pretty much immune to cult like manipulation of their behaviors by any one individual who comes in and attempts to reshape that behavior.

This particular topic is in an area of the forum that was created to allow for off topic discussions. There are some restrictions about what can be discussed in this section but that is not being violated in this thread. So if Totem invited JD to have a nitty-gritty discussion about their differences of opinions on diesel engines its certainly within the scope of this particular section of the forum for them to have that going. That no one is seeking to shut down their discussion (other than yourself) is very much an indication that this is not a cult controlled forum. My apology to JD and Totem for this diversion from your topic, I was just getting tired of seeing this silly nonsense about this forum being a cult show up where people are expressing differences of opinions.

Cults don't allow people to express differences of opinion. This forum is exactly the opposite of cult behavior.

I agree. I haven't seen any cult-tish behavior here. At least not where anyone was banned or excluded. I HAVE seen moderators take sides, jump in, support one person and "scold" the other.

To the converse - the Yahoo-Toyota group (not the Chinook site) DOES act in a cult-like way and DOES exclude people. I was told to "stay away" because "I'm not their kind." I'm paraphrasing but would be glad to post the actual conversation between me and Mr. Turtle if anyone wants to see how a cult operates. Hey - I see forums as personal property and if they want to be cults - that's fine with me. I DO wonder. If I'd gone to the Illinois rally this month - and Tika runs the Yahoo forum - would I have been "shunned?"

I have seen you sling this term cult about in another thread. You don't actually know what cult behavior is all about do you?

I cant find where I have ever used the term "cult" before. In fact my post mainly consisted of a quote in the report totem made about what happened when he attended the wheatland music festival.

the following in red is the quote from Wheatland Music Fest in Toy :

"Almost everyone I spoke to considered this site and its inhabitants to be members of a "cult"

Are we a "cult"? I don't really get that accusation as in my experience, cults push away family members and excommunicate others.

One gentlemen I spoke with who refused to give his former handle said he dropped out because of "personality conflicts" with others; namely perceived hostilities from the "ringleaders" he stated.

So as a footnote and word of advice to you "ringleaders" - this is the general consensus I received at a large sampling of data."

So snail powered - could you specify the thread(s) where I used the this term.

My question - in blue- was meant to be humorous... but obviously failed to be.

So I have to ask, is a forum that has a topic title devoted to 2 cult heroes like this one a cult?

So snail powered - could you specify the thread(s) where I used the this term.

So I have to ask, is a forum that has a topic title devoted to 2 cult heroes like this one a cult?

I assume snail-powered was citing a statement from one of your posts that was in quotes and was authored at the inchoate level by someone else.

If a term is going to be used over and over, seems it's a good idea to present a working-definition for it. Snail-Powered is the only one here that offered one that I noticed. I.e. "Cults don't allow people to express differences of opinion."

Going by that - if this thread represented some sort of "cult" . . .dissenting comments from others would be frowned on - and they have not been treated as such. So how is this thread a "cult" in your opinion? And yes - this time you did use the word directly. The thread only has our two names on it for identity purposes since neither me or Totem created it. It was just a section that was moved and renamed.

I agree. I haven't seen any cult-tish behavior here. At least not where anyone was banned or excluded. I HAVE seen moderators take sides, jump in, support one person and "scold" the other.

To the converse - the Yahoo-Toyota group (not the Chinook site) DOES act in a cult-like way and DOES exclude people. I was told to "stay away" because "I'm not their kind." I'm paraphrasing but would be glad to post the actual conversation between me and Mr. Turtle if anyone wants to see how a cult operates. Hey - I see forums as personal property and if they want to be cults - that's fine with me. I DO wonder. If I'd gone to the Illinois rally this month - and Tika runs the Yahoo forum - would I have been "shunned?"

Just curious.. is Tika "Mr. Turtle" over in yahoo? this comment alludes to it and I recently saw Linda say she runs that forum (one I have never visited but that's because I don't like yahoo as a company).

In any event, I have gone to Rallies that Tika was at and I never had any trouble, nothing but great times. Never saw any shunning.

Just curious.. is Tika "Mr. Turtle" over in yahoo? this comment alludes to it and I recently saw Linda say she runs that forum (one I have never visited but that's because I don't like yahoo as a company).

In any event, I have gone to Rallies that Tika was at and I never had any trouble, nothing but great times. Never saw any shunning.

When I was banned from the Yahoo forum - the only person I had contact with was "Turtle." Mr.Turtle served as the "interlocutor" and said he was speaking for others who owned and/or ran the group. I know nothing about "Tika" except Linda mentioned that the Yahoo group is her's. So if that is the case - and Mr. Turtle does not speak with "forked tongue" - then it seems Tika is one of the people that banned me for "not being their kind." Mr.Turtle comes to this forum, now and then. My point is a simple one. If the Yahoo people banned me from their forum because I am "not their kind" - then why would I be welcome at a rally that they organize?

Turtle bills himself as "co-owner toyota-campers group". I believe Tika is also a co-owner. I'm not sure if there are currently any others. 'Ownership' does (somehow) change hands.

Turtle Mike, Tika, Gail and Stephen are all co owners of the Toyota group on yahoo. Eventually people move on and any of the current owners can appoint a new owner to take over their tasks. Much like here except that no one asked Derek, John and I before we were appointed moderators.

Linda S

Sitting behind a keyboard, I rarely know for sure who is who and who controls what. Turtle first contacted me and said some "owners" were upset with some things I had posted. In reply, I asked Turtle to please tell me exactly what posts or comments he was referring to (I really did not know at that point). He replied that they had been deleted and he had never actually read any of them. So, he stated he could not tell me specifically what I said that was deemed a "problem." I replied with something like "I'm being judged for doing something you have not seen" and he said "yes." Then things degraded. Turtle said "owners" want to know what my reasons are for wanting to be in their group and they would then decide if I was "like minded with them" and make a decision if I was "worthy" or not. I then replied that they sound like a clique in grammar school and it sounds like a group I don't want to be part of.

I then got a message saying I was "banned." So that was it. I was banned for doing something and I'm still not 100% sure what it was. I do know I am not the only one. I know two other people who have had similar experiences when they offered commentary that was deemed as "dissenting" to popular opinion. I think, but am not sure - it was my calling the rubber air-filled suspension aid from Air-Ride an "air bag." I had used the term and then someone from the forum jumped in a scolded me for using incorrect terminology. THAT poster got nasty, not me - but he (or she) was part of the "in crowd" and I was not. Cult-like behavior for sure (in my opinion). Right Mr. Turtle et. al.??

so snail powered - could you specify the thread(s) where I used the this term.

The only person in this forum who would think those 2 guys are any kind of cult heroes is the one who is talking talking total nonsense about it. Go for a drive in your Toy Home Rad Wolfe, get some oxygen and happy endorphins in that confused mind of yours. Quit slinging around silly conspiracy theories.