Windshield Source For 1978 Chinook??

zero

Does anyone know of a source for new windshields that will ship?

I went through quite a search 3-4 years ago trying to find one for my 1978. I finally settled on one I found in a northern NY junkyard although the edges are cloudy from delamination. Delamination seems to be a big problem with these old windshields and when that happens - the plastic inside gets cloudy.

I trucked my "prize" windshield 800 miles from NY to MI and just unpacked it yesterday. It cracked !! I had it packed very carefully but I guess it not handle the many bumps on the trip and cracked right down the middle.

So here I go again. I found two brand new ones (very old stock) in Oregon but they will not ship. So they do me no good.

So far the only one I've found where the seller is willing to ship is guy on Ebay and he wants $500. $279 for the new-old-stock windshield and the rest for shipping and ONLY to a commercial address. I.e. he will not ship to where I live.

At this point, if I could find one - new or good used - I'd drive to get it if less then a 500 mile round trip. I am NOT driving to Oregon.

I've called several junkyards listed on car-parts.com but no good on them. Most no longer have the ones listed and those that do - have windshields that are cloudy or chipped. At least the ones I was willing to drive to.

Toyota truck takes the same windshield from 1972 through 1978. Seems somebody should be selling them somewhere?

Anybody on this forum live in Oregon and maybe be willing to get paid to pack a windshield carefully on a pallet?

Why not just make friends with a local commercial address? I know where I live there are a dozen people working at different commercial addresses who would accept a package for me.

When I had a canoe shipped, it was delivered to the local freight transfer facility where I picked it up. I had an upright bass shipped to a clay-making art-supply facility where I have a lot of friends. Even if you're in the middle of nowhere, I'm sure a local business, which is closer than Oregon or 500 miles, would take the shipment for you.

Sounds like it's pretty pricey but if it ends up being the only option...

JD,

Try "windshieldstogo.com".

$182.00 for windshield shipped free to one of their distribution facilities. Not sure how close to you it would be.

They also offer an installed price of $292.00.

JD,

$182.00 for windshield shipped free to one of their distribution facilities. Not sure how close to you it would be.

Thanks for the link. I just gave them a try. I.e. I just ordered one but won't know until next week if they actually have it and it will be coming. I've tried several other places that said they had it - and then after ordering - said they did not.

This "windshieldstogo" place will ship to a commercial address for an extra $135 and for $279 ship to my home. So I just ordered with a commercial address and we'll see what happens. Total price of $317 if this really works. If so, I'm glad to pay the price. I tried all the local glass shops in NY before I moved and none could get it. Did the same here in northern Michigan with the same results. This place almost sounds too good to be true - but hey, maybe they really have it! Almost makes me want to order two since I'm thinking no one is making the windshields any more and just sell off new-old-stock?

Thanks again.

Why not just make freinds with a local commercial address? I know where I live there are a dozen people working at different commercial addresses who would accept a package for me.

When I had a canoe shipped, it was delivered to the local freight transfer facility where I picked it up. I had an upright bass shipped to a clay-making art-supply facility where I have a lot of friends. Even if you're in the middle of nowhere, I'm sure a local business, which is closer than Oregon or 500 miles, would take the shipment for you.

Sounds like it's pretty pricey but if it ends up being the only option...

I don't have any issue finding a commercial place to ship. In fact, most of the big farms around me are technically "commercial" addresses. I just don't have a lot of faith in the seller on Ebay that has the windshield. It remains unclear to me what happens if that windshield shows up here cracked. I doubt any shipping company would insure it. Windshields are VERY difficult to transport without a special support cradle.

JD,

I forgot to mention - the "pick up" option does not list any locations in Michigan. Looks like the closest warehouses are in Milwaukee,Wisconsin or Cincinnatti, Ohio. 880 mile or a 850 mile round trip. Thus the reason why I opted for the delivery. Hope this works out. I find the idea of getting a new crystal-clear windshield for my Chinook kind of exciting (guess I don't get out much). I bet I've looked at over a dozen at junkyards that all had some cloudy spots from delamination.

Weird I did the windshieldstogo site and they had a pick up site in Traverse City. 7 other locations in Mi.

Linda S

Now that is just plain weird. Now I've got to go back and look again.

Son-of-a-b*tch. I'm glad you posted that comment Linda. I just went back and it now shows me several places in Michigan. Traverse City is plenty close enough. 240 mile round trip which is fine with me. I just sent an email to the place requesting a change in my order. I cannot figure how I saw something different before. Either that menu box has changed or my brain is playing tricks on me. Either way, I would not have known if you hadn't seen it and mentioned it. Thanks. We've been planning a trip to Traverse City anyway since I need some building materials and there is a Menards there. Much better prices and selection then Home Depot.

post-6578-0-28394200-1442097726_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28963600-1442097727_thumb.jp

Makes me wonder . . what wrong with the half-dozen glass shops in NY and MI that told me that no new windshields were available? Oh well. I am REAL glad to get it if this works. I've probably driven near 1000 miles over the past couple of years looking for a clear windshield. The one I bought was in Sodus New York and that was over a 400 mile round trip and I had to take the thing out myself. That's the one that broke en-route to Michigan.

Small update here. I called this Monday morning to verify my order. First time I called their 800 number - I got a sex-talk line and hung up. I then emailed the windshield company and they told me to call a different # then what shows on their Website. So I called 800-914-1075 and got a windshield person this time. Ends up they do not ship windshields from warehouse to warehouse. If fact, none of their warehouses ship anywhere except the one in Chillicothe, Ohio. They checked their Traverse City, Michigan warehouse and do not think they have any windshields for 1978 Toyotas. They DO have one (they think but need to verify) in Plymouth, Michigan. I'm waiting to hear back. Plymouth is 250 miles south of me and down by "Dee-Troit." Not sure I want to drive down there unless we make a "vacation" trip out of it and take my kid to the Henry Ford Museum for the first time.

One more "update." I spoke to a warehouse manager at Windshieldstogo.com None of their warehouses allow pickup of the windshield for a 1978 Toytota truck. It is considered a "classic" and must be ordered via their "classics division." So, as I suspected, even though it shows on the Website order menu - it cannot be ordered that way. It is supplied only through one warehouse in Columbus, Ohio and it is closed to the public. They only ship, i.e. no pickups. $260 for the windshield and $135 to ship it to a commercial-only address. Pretty much the same deal as I saw on Ebay except the Ebay one likely has no Michigan sales-tax attached. I ordered the one from Windshieldstogo because I'm sick of worrying about it. So - $395 plus tax and it is on it's way. I'm also paying the commercial address owner $20 for their helping out.

I'm going to try this site also. sick of my beach sand scratched, chipped cracked and excessively nasty windshield.

Newer, 1979 and up windshields for Toyota are no problem. Just the 1972-78 that are now "classics."

I got my new windshield today. Although I ordered it from Windshiledstgo.com - seems it did not really come from them. I guess that is why they would not let me pick it up. I guess they just made a few bucks on it as a go-between. The new windshield came from Pilkington Classics with a factory in Urbancrest, Ohio. Main company is in Omaha, Nebraska. They make brand new windshields for odd-ball stuff. So - www.windshieldstogo.com just stuck their own $75 extra fee into the deal. The windshield can be ordered direct for $320 total instead of the $395 I paid out. I think it can also be picked up and gotten for $195. I'm glad to have it but think $75 is a pretty steep charge for doing basically nothing but referring the order to someone else.

https://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/shop/specialty-glass/windshields/10913-1972-1978-toyota-pickup-2-door-standard-cab-toyota-hi-lux-pickup-mexico-only-blue-tint

post-6578-0-74469600-1442525215_thumb.jp

Knowledge is valuable. They knew where to find it, you didn't. Probably from the same source as the even more expensive resellers you found.

Yes, you are correct. I had been searching for years and none of my Internet searches came up with that source. I'm very glad to have it. Just kicking myself now for spending the extra $75. I think it's neat that somebody is actually still making these windshields.

Damon Krane (a guy that visited my place in NY and got some Chinook parts) posted the Ebay windshield ad over there. I didn't see any interest expressed. But I guess who the heck is interested in a windshield until their's is faded or broken?

Im surprised you didnt use your "vast"knowledge up north to help out a fellow camper, after all you seem to have a knack for finding the obscure. Guess some people would rather ignore the community and snark than help. Dont worry though you will get more opportunities im sure, sooner or later everyone becomes a friend even Newman and Jerry...

Im surprised you didnt use your "vast"knowledge up north to help out a fellow camper, after all you seem to have a knack for finding the obscure. Guess some people would rather ignore the community and snark than help. Dont worry though you will get more opportunities im sure, sooner or later everyone becomes a friend even Newman and Jerry...

I'm a bit lost. I have no idea who your comment is pointed towards or what it is about? If it is for me - I have no "vast" knowledge about all the 'North." Lots I have not seen or researched. Central NY Adirondack-Leatherstocking area - yes - lived there for 40 years camping and researching along with some history writing. Northern Vermont near Newport Center and Canada - yes. Northern Michigan? I am new to the area and have only been around here for 10 years. On the subject of "helping out fellow campers?" I've had several people from these forums come to my place in New York where I let them take parts for free. Isn't that "helpful" enough? I even gave one person in this forum a complete, working A43D transmission for free. Damon Krane was the only guy who I actually charged anything. But that's because I let him strip an entire 1977 Toyota Chinook. If your comment was somehow pointed at someone else - then just ignore what I just wrote.

jde, that was me giving Derek crap for not helping YOU find the windshield... his name is "derek up north" I call him "up north" like Jerry would call Newman Newman skipping the first name on Seinfeld.

Sorry if I confused you, but for someone that can find torque recommendations for NPT fittings I would have thought derek could have sourced the windshield for you.

"with great power comes great responsibility" - spiderman/stan lee... spiderman started off using his power for less than noble purposes but eventually became amazing. If its important to people to feel they have knowledge or power they should first use that for good purposes... or the esoteric will simply claim the original quote was not Stan Lee but rather... V_______

Any idea what "Mexico only" means in their description?

https://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/shop/specialty-glass/windshields/10913-1972-1978-toyota-pickup-2-door-standard-cab-toyota-hi-lux-pickup-mexico-only-blue-tint

Hopefully NOT that it doesn't meet US safety specs?

It fits a "pickup" in the USA and a "Hilux" in Mexico. Different countries and different names. The "Hilux" name was dropped in the USA and in most of the rest of North America in 1976.

j like Jerry would call Newman Newman skipping the first name on Seinfeld.

I washed Seinfeld out of my mind after they had - what I consider - the most disappointing last episode in the history of TV.

But while on the subject of Derek, the "North" and Canada - I've got a question completely not related to anything Toyota. How come Canada is in our "Articles of Confederation" when we (the USA) became a new nation? What happened? Obviously Canada did not follow through after the deal.

I wonder does that deal expire? can they whenever they want pull the "we join" card? boy imagine that...having lived in Canada a couple years and after hearing my friends there rail about the evil of the US and how we dropped atomic bombs etc. I cant see the populace wanting to join but maybe.. someday..

I wonder does that deal expire? can they whenever they want pull the "we join" card? boy imagine that...having lived in Canada a couple years and after hearing my friends there rail about the evil of the US and how we dropped atomic bombs etc. I cant see the populace wanting to join but maybe.. someday..

The US attacked Canada too, shortly after our own civil war ended. 1866-1871. That did not help our popularity. Known as the "Fenian Raids" it was a hot topic when my wife went to college in Canada. I suspect many young people today know nothing about them. The attacks on Canada were from a bunch of drunken out-of-work Civil War soldiers based along the New York border. Supposedly with some covert backing from our president at the time. One of the Fenian leaders has a town named after him in Nebraska. He was Captain John O'Neill. So if you ever visit O'Neill, Nebraska - you now know the back-story. One of the Fenians also invented a submarine.

http://www.historynet.com/fenian-raids-invasions-of-british-ruled-canada.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill,_Nebraska