Tire Inflator

jjrbus

This week I was shopping for the opposite of this, Automatic Tire Deflators. If you are going to have everything, you'll need both.

The main reason for keeping my Toyota is to take it on the beach rather than to the beach.

A question for Don - How much bigger of a footprint do these tires get with low pressure? I would think that with such stiff sidewalls, it would not help much to deflate them.

Our national park service regulations require that to go out on the national seashore, you must reduce the air pressure to no greater than 11 psi. When I used to take my landcruiser out doing so made all the difference in the world. The old Dunlop's flattened out pretty good. We'll see with the new Nexens. Consider that at low pressure the tires are not just flattening out at the sides but also front to back. Makes for that much more contact with the sand. Slow and steady is the mantra.

The RV's travel a limited path compared to that of the 4x4's. I had considered a slide in for my F250 but the Toyota is rigged far better for staying on the beach for a few days. Wasn't able to be ready this year to obtain the permit but will have the rest of the upgrades done by next spring.

The required equipment is a tow strap, jack, fire extinguisher, shovel, air pressure gauge that reads down to 5 psi and a board to set the jack on in sand. You must be fully self contained and carry out what you bring in. My upgrades are mostly comfort improvements. New upgraded dinette, outdoor shower and extra water storage. Should be able to extend how long I can go on the waste tanks by rinsing off the salt and sand outside.

I'd say that reducing the pressure on Toyota duallies to 11psi is asking for trouble. Not the contact on the sand. The major contact between the tires. Are they nuts. No air pressure reduction is required at Pismo and the beach looks great. All ruts are gone after the next high tide

Linda S

I guess it would depend on what the sand is like. Like I said, unlike the 4x4's the distance of travel for the RV's is pretty short. Friction is not going to be a huge problem at such low speed and short distance. From there you just park at the beach for a few days then it is another short trip off. There is an air station at the entrance. Fill the tires back up and you're back on the road in short order.

The bigger problem is trail closures due to plover nesting but in all they do a good job of balancing the public interest in recreation and conservation.

It's a cool & unusual camping experience.

race_point_01.jpg

Another great gift is known as the "air thief". I marbled at the simplicity of the thief; essentially you hookup the thief to an aired tire from another car or spare and use it to inflate yours to get you to a station. Genius

No problem, glad to see you posting. Jim

Things have been crazy busy at work. I should set up my tablet to be able to log in while on the road. That is what primarily keeps me from posting. Well that and not having any good answers for the questions lately. I head to San Francisco on Monday for the week and I hope that is it for traveling for a while. It is slow for us in the north east but the rest of the company is pretty busy so they have me on the road. I get all the "special" jobs. Nothing but headaches. At least I have a job. I'll attempt to post more when I have something to contribute.

Oooh "special projects" ,in the USAF the pc term was "An opportunity to excel"