Cruise Control Limited To 55 Mph?

I have an 87 Toyota Sunrader 4-cyl equipped with the factory optional cruise control. It works just fine except for the fact I can't set it for over 55mph. Was this how the factory delivered the cruise control due to the national speed limit being 55 mph? Does anyone know how to increase the max speed I can set it to? Any information/links would be appreciated.

I'm curious about this question as well. My V6 Warrior also has cruise, but the actuator doesn't seem to have enough "umph" to hold the pedal at a speed much past 55. Usually, I'll set it at about 7mph higher than needed, knowing that it'll end up close to where I want it.

I've installed aftermarket CC units on other vehicles, and those typically have some kind of of switch that determines the "aggressiveness" of the response. Wish I could adjust my OEM unit similarly...

A lot of the older Cruise Controls are vacuum operated. Because of the load on the engine there isn't much vacuum.

You might check the cable length there is an adjustment but most likely it will not hold 55 it just does not have enough power try locking out O/D that will help if you can stand the noise. They probably worked OK in the pickup but an added 2500# did not help.

I suspect your CC issues are related to the power/weight ratio of these vehicles. I have a 83 Winnie warrior with V6 - previously I owned a 82 itasca spirit with V6 (they are mechanically identical).

On flat roads with no overpasses (think little hill) running into the 4th speed (overdrive) power band which is about 62 in the WW and was about 56 in the IS, CC will wotk ok.

Come to an overpass - after the CC commands full throttle, a downshift to 3rd gear.

Running 45-50 in 3rd works OB but reach a hill .....

operating these little trucks is all about energy management.... if you can accept slowing down when going up hills and speeding up down hills, coasting to stops (you know what I mean - let off the gas and these things slooooowww down - a lot of wind drag.

I occasionally use the CC when conditions are optimal, but I just turn it off when conditions change.

These engines just are not big enough to really use a CC

Hey I just put 2 and 2 together. You are the guy who just bought that cute shorty Sunrader in Buffalo. Back East Don was trying to buy it but you got it. Hope it's as nice as it looked in the ads. You got a deal. Out here in Cal that would have sold in a heartbeat for 10 grand. CC is stupid. Just drive that baby. They are so fun. Love mine

Linda S

CC is stupid. Just drive that baby. They are so fun.

They are so fun, but I have to say that I love cruise control and always have. I enjoy road trips, but to have to sit for hours while holding one foot/ankle at a nearly constant angle can start to feel like torture. My V6 will hold 63mph just fine on a fairly level highway without dropping out of OD, IF the CC would just hold the pedal half an inch lower. (Still, I don't doubt that CC is next to useless on the 4-cyl.)

Funny thing, my wife mentioned the other day that she has never used it a single time in her entire life... (?!)