Hi-I am on the way from nepa to San Fransisco again. Have 2 front tires that developed cupping on outside tread about 2 years ago just prior to my west coast trip. They have hung in there for about 8000 miles now but I see they will be getting thinner and there is some noise that is noticeable. I am looking for a tire dealer somewhere between Des Moines Iowa and Alameda CA. I need 195/75R14-6ply load range D. Any suggestions? Also looking for shocks for my mini with dual one ton rear and probably should get them for back and front. The shocks must be heavier duty than for a 1/2 ton 86 Toyota truck. Went to O'Reilly auto parts today and they could not help without looking at the shock to match it with something. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks Dan from pa

You've been on this site a long time. The correct size tire is 185r14. Call any Walmart and ask if they can find some Nexen sv820's or Hankook ra08's in the area.

If you can make it to Reno Summit racing should have your shocks and at the best price. Of course call first. They can probably get them by the time you get there

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-kg5458

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/kyb-kg5438/overview/make/toyota

I checked. Both of these are in stock.

Can't find those tires in stock at Walmart. Not available until 7/15. You could try calling this guy. He seems to be able to get all kinds of tires pronto

http://www.mrhubcapandwheel.com/home.html

Of course both shocks and tires would require you head towards Reno

Oh look at this place. Super deal. My son-in-law has bought tires here

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ptd/5113249467.html

Linda S

google

Hankook Radial RA08 Tire 185R14

and see who nearby has them - or rather will order them. Walmart lists these tires but show them as not available.

Others make this odd size tire too. Goodyear used to have a listing too.

If your tires are wearing unevenly, something is probaly worn out on your front end

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-SV820-185R14-8-100P-BW/33860070

The front end is tight just passed inspection. As mentioned earlier these tires had a lot of tread on them when I first purchased the vehicle but after a couple of excursions I noticed that they were cupping on the outside. I took it in for a wheel alignment which was needed according to the technician and he advised that the tires would continue to wear unevenly. now 10000 miles later they are still passing inspection but getting closer to unacceptable tread depth. I am watching as I am now 2000 miles further on my trip and they are still hanging in there so I think the front end is ok.

Will replacing shocks really make a difference for handling the roads in Indiana? They have the worst roads that I have seen in my travels from coast to coast

Just ordered them from a toyota dealer in oakland ca and putting new tires on front today also. Will enjoy some family time and then head for Oregon. Any suggestions on a path towards Yellowstone?

I went to Yellowstone last summer from Wisconsin and as far as Devil's Tower 3 years ago. On the first trip my wife and I stayed off the interstate and went through Minnesota and South Dakota on US 14. We enjoyed the slower pace and nice little towns. Last summer we were traveling with our daughters and grandkids with a second vehicle pulling a pop-up, due to time constraints, we took the interstate. Get used to people flying by unless you don't care about gas mileage.

We hit the Badlands, Black Hills highlights, Devil's Tower, Bighorn Mountains on 14A. 14A is a very scenic road but it is steep and crooked. We had no problem with the road, I just watched the tach and used whatever gear was required. Going west on 14A the descent from the top of the Bighorns can be hard on the brakes, just downshift and keep your speed under control. I cam down in first and second gear and rarely hit the brakes. I wanted to enter Yellowstone on the Beartooth Highway, said to be the most scenic road in the US, due to an early summer snow storm, the Beartooth was closed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a '90 Sunrader, 19 feet, dual wheels, v-6. Happy with it, except for the jarring over tar strips and other sharp bumps. The previous owner installed Bilstein shocks. They don't leak or aren't worn, but seem too heavy for the unit. Am open to suggestion on replacement shocks that would ease the pounding over tar strips and the like but still offer control.

Sunrader guy

Keep the Bilsteins, your driving a TRUCK not a Caddie. You also have truck tires with 55 psi or more in them.

You could check the rear spring bushings. If they are badly worn, you get a clangie/banging ride.