Road Trip From H*ll

WME

This years vacation should have been a staycation. Not a road trip. This trip has been funny like MASH was funny.
Picked up mother-in law and sister- in-law at the airport, next day left on trip. Saw Crazy Horse and " Da 4 Guys" (in laws are from Hawaii, so local joke). Went to Ellsworth AFB for the famcamp. At 11:30 PM a tornado warning was issued. At 12:10 is was cancelled and a high wind (60-70 mph) warning with 1.5" hail was issued. The people at the RV camp were evacuated to a shelter and I was able to move the RV to the lee of a building. At 1:15 the wind storm and hail passed. 40 mph and 1/2" hail actually. 1:30 returned to RV camp.... Have a nice night sleep!!!!!!!!!!!
Next day went to Wall drug and the Bad lands. Spent the night at WalMart in Pierre SD, no tornado but major thunder storm. SIL does not like thunder especially when the lightening and thunder are at the same time.
Next day left for the Peace Gardens in ND. 20 miles N of Linton ND the engine water pump came apart, literally, I never seen a water pump fail like that. I cut off the fan belt so that the fan was not trying to eat the radiator. Drove 5 mi before the engine got to hot, pulled over let it cool. Drove 5 more miles then cool time...etc for 20 mi.
Get to town after the repair shop closed. Rats but they are open on Saturday, yea. NOT so fast,,,,, this Sat is county fair, and parade so the shop is closed until Monday!!!!!!!!! So is the parts place. After all the county fair is the big deal in nowhere ND
Written as we sit in shop parking lot.

Traveling in a vintage moving mass of parts and systems. We have to learn to enjoy the moments or days or weeks of non mobility. Now you have the chance to enjoy a real county fair.

When life hands you lemons, make hard lemonade and over indulge. Good luck Jim

Traveling in a vintage moving mass of parts and systems. We have to learn to enjoy the moments or days or weeks of non mobility. Now you have the chance to enjoy a real county fair.

When life hands you lemons, make hard lemonade and over indulge. Good luck Jim

He might have had the chance to enjoy the fair if he could get there. But his flight has been grounded due to mechanical problems.

You have had so many great trips. This one sounds like it started well. Crazy Horse is one of my all time favorites. Repair wise at least it's just a water pump. We all know much worse stuff can happen. Hope the rest of your trip goes better

Linda S

We're back!!!!! All those interested in next years trip "Storm Chasing with your RV" sign up now.

8 days, 5 Severe thunder storm warnings, 2 flash flood warnings and the topper, 1 tornado warning. The thrill of hunkering down in your well built Rv with 1" an hour rain fall, hail, and 50 mph winds won't soon be forgotten. Yes siree we will be going to the Dakotas again real soon. I guess all the rain that CA isn't getting has to go some where.

Had to skip the Peace Garden in ND and Devils Tower, but managed Pompeys Pillar, Theodore Roosevelt national park, also stopped at Hart Mountain internment center.

High point was Buford WY, the highest town on I-80, 8000ft, population 1. Its real and even has a zip code 82052. It serves as a mail center for all the ranches scattered around.

The next time the eternal question of "do I really need an AC and generator" comes up, I'll remember 3 days in Hazelton ND sitting in the corner of a C Store parking lot in 85 degree-75% humidity weather. We put about 20 hr on the genset in 3 days