Convert 12V Cigarette Lighter To Dual Usb

kayakthecoast

I decided to modify my single 12v cigarette lighter in my rear console above fridge to accept a dual USB outlet and also a standard cigarette lighter port. I used a dremel and bored out the plate to accept a marine grade double outlet I purchased on amazon for twenty bucks.

It's a simple plug in play. The wiring cones with it both wired together. 2.1 amp USB and max 15v is the specs. I'll should be able to charge both phone and iPad now at same time. One more coat of black and I'll instal.

post-7537-0-50905800-1431838145_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-69966300-1431838171_thumb.jp

All installed, iPad and iPhone charging away! And with my recent solar instal I'm using the sun to charge my devices.

The dual port USB splits the rated power up when two devices are plugged into it. You will get faster charging if you put a USB adapter into each of the two 12 Volt outlets and put one device on each of them. That way each device will have its own power at the stated rate instead of just half of the power.

I'm beginning to feel like I've over shared today as I've got posts going all over this forum.

Anyway to what Corbin said if you have high power devices such as a tablet you'll want high current independent USB ports. I have a couple I carry when I travel for work as I'm pretty loaded up with gadgets. Work & personal phones, tablet, mifi and a dedicated GPS. Anker makes a 5 port 40 watt unit that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I also have one of their AC units that has the outlet plug built in. While not as convenient as having the ports built right into the wall, you get plenty of charging juice at all 5 USB ports. They also make a 48 Watt 4 port without the cord.

Anker 40 Watt Charger

Both of my outlets are wired together. Don't think in my case it will make a difference if I have 1 device to each outlet? I'll test it as I have another USB insert. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The dual port USB splits the rated power up when two devices are plugged into it. You will get faster charging if you put a USB adapter into each of the two 12 Volt outlets and put one device on each of them. That way each device will have its own power at the stated rate instead of just half of the power.

An Ipad wants 2.1 amps at 5 volts to charge. Kinda maxes out a combined shared 2.1 amp usb charge port. There are restrictions with convenience sometimes. I would have left it a 12v cig outlet and used a 12 cig outlet split-er with separate usb charge ports for more power or Get a 12 volt cig charger for the Ipad.

• 2 months later...

I just stick a dual usb bullet in my 12 volt holes, that way if I need to use something else I just pull out the bullet. The ones I have are split with a high amp and low amp output for differing applications already in the bullet.