I Had A Problem With My Insurance Provider

Bob C

I have had my rv insurance with American Family Insurance since I bought my RV 3 1/2 years ago and have everything with them for 25 years. We also have homeowers, 2 cars, 1 truck and a motorcycle insured with them. We recently got a bill for all of our vehicles and got a nasty surprise. The RV insurance bill went up about 150 %. I talked to the agent and he informed me that I had been paying a fraction of what I should have been billed. An underwriter decided that it was time to check out our policies and found what they said was fraud on our part. They determined that my 1988 Escaper was not a Class C RV but was in reality a 1 ton Toyota truck that was improperly insured. I argued with the agent for about 10 minutes and finally told him that I would be back in 15 minutes.

I went home and got my RV and drove back to the agents office. I walked in and asked him if he knew the difference between a truck and an RV. We walked outside and he took 10 photos of the Escaper to send to the underwriter. I also had my Wisconsin vehicle title with me and he took a photo of that also. The title lists the vehicle manufacturer as Damon Industrues with the model listed as Escaper. It does not even have the word Toyota on it. The underwriter was going by the VIN only and would not listen to any argument because he knew the facts.

I then pointed out the vehicle manufacturer id plate on the drivers door frame. It also says Damon Industries as manufacturer.

After a bunch of calls back and forth between the agent and the underwriter, the underwriter finally reclassified my RV as an RV and my new bill went back to what it was before.

Thats funny I too had run ins with American Ins. I was with them over 30 years had house, cars. jeeps, trucks and motorcycles insured with them and never a claim but every year the same thing higher and higher and by alot. I got fed up with them and dropped them, the 1st year alone I saved a bit over $600.00 that was one of the better things I have done.

By the way I live in Wi. too.

wow, DMW registration dictates if vehicle is a truck or rv. You should file a complaint with the state AG, insurance gods.

My insurance refuses full coverage saying it is too old.

then started whining that I have too many vehicles, and if I buy anymore I will have to prove that they are mine.

I told them I have an simpler solution, how about I insure with someone else?

I told them I have an simpler solution, how about I insure with someone else?

I had a very similar experience. I have two kids, my wife and myself. Everyone drives. On top of that I used to have a work vehicle that I was being paid mileage for. When I added my RV my agent told me I had the max I could have on the policy and would need a new policy on the RV. This was an insurance agent my family knew from when we were kids. I went to school with the kids who now run it. We viewed them as old family friends. To be sure service was great. You had a problem they were on it. I would later find out what it was costing me however.

I insured the RV without much thought. Basic insurance, no collision or extras. Got the bill and was somewhat surprised at how much it was. We stayed with it the first year. The next year my wife came home one day and asked me for our policies because she wanted to get a quote from a company that was giving the employees at her work a discount. I didn't think much of it but eventually said why not. I was completely blown away by the savings. Nearly half of what I was paying when we added up everything including homeowners. I went from a policy on the RV that was nearly $1400 to just over $400. What I found out from the new insurer is that the old agency registered the RV as a car. We had taken it off the road to save money over the winter and needed to re-register it. Registered it as a camper instead and even the registration cost was less. The old agency was a one stop place that could do basic registrations for the DMV but could not issue specialty plates like a camper. So they just went with what they had and I paid heavily for the convenience of it. Insurance company reclassified it accordingly and it cost more as an everyday vehicle.

I now have much better insurance including a blanket liability policy that covers everyone in the household and still pay much less. The RV is still on a separate policy but I'm not paying extra for that as they included it in the multi-vehicle discount. One other benefit is I also save money by having the RV on a policy that doesn't have the kids on it. I'm not letting them drive it and this way they know not to ask. This year they go on their own insurance policies and I'll save even more by just having me and my wife.

I don't know what states or what all companys are using this new sceme . but this is what my agent told me. used to be they would base rates on your driving record. but now they are also using your credit rating. BECAUSE my dauter who has never had a tiket or wreack at fault was denied preferred rates and refused by some companys because she had student loans and she is over 30years old.And she was never behind on anything.

Progressive charges me about $400 per year for agreed value of $8000, plus a valuables rider on the contents.

I don't recall the rate getting a very good deal on 3 rigs from GRANGE out of seattle full coverage agreed value of 8000 on the dolphin 300.000 coverage. I only keep comp fire and theft on the rv in the winter as I don't run it after oct to april on the road. I had safeco for 30 years before that all the sudden they wanted to double my rate got grange way more ins for way less money.