Water Heater Kaputt?

I don't have all the unit specs with me right now, but just wanted to mention that my water heater became inoperable towards the end of a long trip recently.

I've got the little 4 gal, propane-only unit with the Jade control box. I've used it several times over the past year, and it's always been fine. After de-winterizing this year, however, I noticed that some mud daubers had moved into the large heating tube (and maybe elsewhere). I cleaned them out as thoroughly as I could with a long screwdriver and my handy little shop vac—had to remove the pilot assembly and small L-shaped burner tube to do this.

Anyway, after I got it all back together, it fired it up successfully. But, during the recent trip, the water never got as hot as it used to be, despite my jiggling the thermostat control back and forth on several occasions. On the last night of our journey, the main burner refused to ever catch although the pilot would light easily... so, anyway, I went back inside and, a few minutes later, heard a muffled boom and felt the coach noticeably rock. (!)

Needless to say, I did not make any further attempts to light the WH that night. (At the same time, btw, fridge/stove/furnace all continued to run just fine on propane.) I'm thinking I need a new thermocouple or, possibly, a completely new control box at this point... :(

You probably disturbed the air mix it's the little thing with the slots in it look for the marks the screw left it it and try to move it back to that point.

You probably disturbed the air mix it's the little thing with the slots in it look for the marks the screw left it it and try to move it back to that point.

You might be right. I found a manual for these heaters on Atwood's site, and it does mention the proper air gap. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

A guy at an rv repair facility told me to buy a flea collar and cut it into sections and place them just inside the cabinet near the burners of my appliances and it would keep out those pesky bugs, wasps, spiders etc. Never tried it so can't say it really works.

A guy at an rv repair facility told me to buy a flea collar and cut it into sections and place them just inside the cabinet near the burners of my appliances and it would keep out those pesky bugs, wasps, spiders etc. Never tried it so can't say it really works.

I've started spraying the vehicle walls and underside with a good insecticide before storing my Warrior for any amount of time; a hose-end sprayer makes this quick/easy. Seems to be helping... Southern Missouri has an unreal amount of bugs, especially ticks. :(

In other news, my water heater seems to be working fine again, after some adjustments to the burner tube shutter gap (0.20" is recommended). Also, I discovered that while I had been (logically, I thought) pushing the thermostat lever to the right in order to raise the water temp, I was actually turning down the temp. (Original instruction label was nearly invisible.) Anyway, left = hotter

Btw, anybody know if these add-on electric elements would work in an old 4 gal Atwood? It'd be nice to save my propane when at a campground. (And, it looks like a fun/easy upgrade!)

http://amzn.com/B0024ECCJW

Hotshot No Pest Strips work very well at killing insects. Note that the instructions say use them for stored vehicles not for occupied vehicles. I have cut them into smaller sections for closets where winter clothes were stored. I also used them in unfinished basements to keep the spiders under control. Good for a quick overnight solution to a sudden fruit fly issue in your home. Also handy to bring out if you get a pesky mosquito or three you just can't seem to catch. It will get rid of sugar ants too although for those I have good results by putting a small amount of Borax laundry detergent booster on their trails.

A small piece of the No Pest Strip will do the trick inside the outside control compartment of a water heater, generator or bumper storage box. Wear gloves to handle it when you cut off a piece. Store the rest of the strip in an airtight container and it will still be good for when you need to replace the first small piece.

When I need one I head to a neighborhood hardware store to find them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shot-5580-Unscented-Repellent/dp/B0019BK8AG

Btw, anybody know if these add-on electric elements would work in an old 4 gal Atwood? It'd be nice to save my propane when at a campground. (And, it looks like a fun/easy upgrade!)

http://amzn.com/B0024ECCJW

They don't list a 4 gallon I'm guessing it's too long for the tank. Once mine is hot the pilot light actually keeps the water warmer than when it's running over night and the gas recovers a lot faster than the electric.

they do make bug screens for the appliances I have one on my furnace .