Obviously I know very little about this. I'm guessing that we're always looking at dually full-floating axles because that is what is available for Toyotas in one-ton capacity.

But even those take cutting and welding, right?

Anyway, what brought this up is that I've been seeing a lot of those RV-for-Rent rvs on the road this spring, and the smallest of them, which are still bulkier than the majority (if not all) toyhomes, have single rear wheels.

So I'm guessing there are heavy duty single wheel rear axles out there, they just don't fit well under our campers, or what?

The one ton Toyota axles are that were installed by the factory starting 1986 were built for the one ton Toyota pickup trucks that came with duals. I know of two one ton Toyota pickups with duals still on the road near me. There are also a couple of retired UHaul cube trucks nearby that have factory duals and one ton axles.

The RV rentals that I have seen vary size of unit. Roadtek class b's have single rear wheels whereas all of the class c's that I have seen have duals on the rear. The chassis that they use are much heavier than any Toyota micro-rv.

Maybe it's just the height, but this seems at least as heavy as any Toyota, and has single rear wheels. I know the roadtrek and other conversion vans are fairly light. But this thing seems like a true RV.

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/compact_rv.aspx

Well if that's an F-250 the GVWR is 10,000 lbs. Even a F-150 is going to be around 7000 lbs. More than enough to carry a small motorhome on single wheels. Those little 19G's are cute but when your next to

one they are much bigger than they look in pictures. My Sunrader looked itty bitty parked next to one

of these. I should have taken a picture

Linda S

. I'm guessing that we're always looking at dually full-floating axles because that is what is available for Toyotas in one-ton capacity.

But even those take cutting and welding, right?

So I'm guessing there are heavy duty single wheel rear axles out there, they just don't fit well under our campers, or what?

If you are asking about installing a Toyota full-floating dually into something like a Toyota Chinook - no substantial "cutting and welding" involved. I;'ve got a 1987 full-floating dually in my 1978 Chinook.

In regard to single rear wheel RVs with small 14" tires like Toyota RVs have? Yes, many come factory made like that. In Australia/Thailand/Africa - there are single rear-wheel Toyota RVs with just the light-duty rear axles (semi-floating), 14" tires and more GVWR that the full-floating duallies sold in the USA. Some up to 6400 lbs. Also, Toyota sold cab & chassis trucks, 1-ton, late 80s, with single tires in the rear instead of duallies.

The problem with running single rear wheels with 14" rims is the rating of the 185R14 LR D tires @ 1875lbs each. Any weights I've seem posted for a 6000lb GVWR motorhome have ~4000lb on the rear axle. I've no idea how the Aussies handle that unless they build in such a way that they weigh well under the GVWR.

Ok, so handling a lot of weight is not a matter of dually vs non-dually, it's a matter of the whole setup of the chassis, including tire size? So it's the size of a Toyota and the tire size they're built for that cause them to "need" dual rear wheels to hanlde a motor home's weight?

And yeah, Linda, that's my point. Those "compact" RVs are pretty big! I'm seeing them all over. So I was surprised to see single rear wheels, and it got me thinking. Could you swap that axle into a Toyota? I'm assuming the availability is much better than full floating Toyota axles, but the work to fit it would make it not worth it.

The little 19ft, rv you posted weighs around 8400lbs. It has 16" rims and uses a 245/75/16 E range tire. That tire has a rating of 3000lb. So it has plenty of capacity even as a single.

It also has a full floating rear axle.

There is a parts house in Madison, WI that is the original owner of a 1 ton dually pickup with extra wide fenders like you see on F350's. I see another one in Madison but it has no markings on it. The parts guy said that it came from the factory that way.

that almost looks like the adventur 19 footer mad e here in the old western rv plant my understanding is that adventure has been for the rental market only. but now they are selling to the public . I go by the plant now and then and saw that they where making a 19 foot and two outher sizes class c only . and some truck campers . been in the shop once. I cant find my info they are from Abottisford BC and they made a toy home back in the day. moved here just a few years ago

found it they made the Toyota slumber queen in Abitsford bc they also bought eagle cap was in Oregon. also says the y have a huge fleet of rentals mostly in Canada.very big in rentals.

The problem with running single rear wheels with 14" rims is the rating of the 185R14 LR D tires @ 1875lbs each. Any weights I've seem posted for a 6000lb GVWR motorhome have ~4000lb on the rear axle. I've no idea how the Aussies handle that unless they build in such a way that they weigh well under the GVWR.

The Australian Toyota cab & chassis made in 2004 came with single 14" tires in back - size 195R-14C. Same I have on my 1978 Chinook right now. Each tire has a 2,090 lb. rating that makes over 4000 lbs. just for the rear. That Aussie truck wth the same axles and wheel bearings as the semi-floaters sold in hte USA from hte 70s - has a GVWR of 6,270 lbs.

And yes - there are many other axles that could be swapped in. I've seen narrowed Dana 60s put into Toyotas years back. But with the OEM Toyota parts - you've got low profile with the 14" tires that is nice to have with a small RV. Also, even if using the FF rear - you've got the option of having the same wheels front and back and only needing one spare tire.

In the USA - Toyota sold cab & chassis trucks with single and dual rear wheels. The truck with single-rear wheels has a GVWR of 5600 lbs. The truck with dual-rear wheels has a GVWR of 6000 lbs. Besides the rear wheels - the front brake disks are bigger with the dually. Single wheel truck has 10.1"front disks and the dually has 10.3" front disks.

The little 19ft, rv you posted weighs around 8400lbs. It has 16" rims and uses a 245/75/16 E range tire. That tire has a rating of 3000lb. So it has plenty of capacity even as a single.

It also has a full floating rear axle.

Which I guess was partially my point here. If there are single rear wheel, full floaters, why aren't they in Toyota motorhomes?

Anyway. Sounds like JD is saying that a lot of the Toyota axles that are single wheel are actually able to carry nearly as much weight as a full floater?

Which I guess was partially my point here. If there are single rear wheel, full floaters, why aren't they in Toyota motorhomes?

Anyway. Sounds like JD is saying that a lot of the Toyota axles that are single wheel are actually able to carry nearly as much weight as a full floater?

Yes, the semi-floating rear axles - even those in 1975-79 Chinooks can handle the weight. The problem with the recall was axles breaking due to a huge stress put on them by dual-wheel adpater kits. Also - USA RV makers preferred the reduncancy of dual wheels so if one tire went flat - the others could still carry the load. Also, single tires in a heavy RV rear wander more unless very wide. That's why several RV makers put L60 tires on back if single.