Batteries

WME

This was news to me, it might be for some of you.
At my (125 mi away) local Sams they just put out the summer stock of auto batteries. They had AGM size 31, 100ah rv batteries for$199 ea and CG-2 6v 208 ah golf cart batteries for $85 ea. Both by Johnson controls.

This was news to me, it might be for some of you.

At my (125 mi away) local Sams they just put out the summer stock of auto batteries. They had AGM size 31, 100ah rv batteries for$199 ea and CG-2 6v 208 ah golf cart batteries for $85 ea. Both by Johnson controls.

Why would anybody with an RV want a type 31 AGM that cost $200 when you can buy a conventional type 29 for $100? They both need venting, both have a little over 100 amp-hours of reserve, and it's likely the conventional battery will outlast the AGM. If I had a spaceship or a racecar that might result in an upside-down battery - I might want some sort AGM. But otherwise? I've seen many AGMs fail before their FLA deep-cycle equivalents did.

I have used FLA deep cycle batteries for years and find they work just fine. I usually get 4 to 6 years of use out of them. I just don't discharge them to less than 11.9 volts. I find it disturbing that Johnson Controls makes about 90% of the batteries on the market, including Walmart, which I tried in my car and had 2 failures while under the full replacement period. That's OK, but I would not want any battery failures in my MH while out in the boonies camping. The deep cycle batteries I have had good luck with are Delco Voyager (I might be wrong, but I don't think they are made by Johnson Controls).

Bill

Delphi made the Delco batteries and all the Delphi holdings were taken over by Johnson Controls in 2004. Johnson Controls, Deka, and Exide are, or were the big three auto battery makers. Exide has had so many lawsuits against it - I'm not sure if it really exists as a separate battery maker anymore.

NAPA and Sears Die-Hard batteries used to be made by Exide. After many failures, NAPA (at least in the northeast) switched to Deka and Sears to Johnson Controls.

I used to get 2 years out of my BCI type # 27 deep-cycle batteries when Exide made them The ones I have now are from Walmart (Johnson Controls) and two of them are on their 4th year with no issues.

I also have a bunch of Deka GC-2, HD deep-cycle 6 volt batteries (same size as a Trojan T-105) and they are on their 10th year. That is pretty amazing considering they only cost $52 each when I got them new.

I give a thumbs up to all the Johnson Controls batteries I've had. When old, all of mine had died slowly. No unexpected sudden failures like I used to get with Exides.

One more vote for Johnson Controls. My Walmart house batteries always last at least 5 years and I just changed out my camper starting battery for the first time. Guy I bought it from put it in just before I bought it and gave the receipt from Walmart. Been in use since 2004. I can't ask for better than that.

Linda S

One more vote for Johnson Controls. My Walmart house batteries always last at least 5 years and I just changed out my camper starting battery for the first time. Guy I bought it from put it in just before I bought it and gave the receipt from Walmart. Been in use since 2004. I can't ask for better than that.

Linda S

Yeap, my Honda ridgeline is a 2007 and it was built in late 2006, the battery is still running strong. 12.5 V

I zap it every month with my high amp charger.

good old flooded type batteries I use old charger in my dolphin since I cant keep at my house no reason to change converter. in winter I pull it stick in shed and charge about every two weeks with an old non automatic charger. and check the water regularly. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. thought about putting an agm in car but too much money. and in one of my Toyotas I had a EXIDE NAPA blow all to pieces when I hit the key after it had set an hour and a half. what a mess. been getting all my batteries at les schab for quite a few years now with very good results