Engine "stuttering/bucking" When Hot - 1994 V6 3.0

So I am trucking along just fine and all of a sudden my engine starts stuttering or bucking. I can still drive but very little power on acceleration. Stop and revs fine in park or neutral. If I let it set for even a short time then it goes normal again. That is until a bit later. One time I could only go 20 mph. Started yesterday. Put in dry gas and premium gas but still did it after running around town on a hot day. I am in Tuscon. 94 V6 with 80k. CEL never came on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Figured out it only did it when gas tank was below half. Mechanic said clogged fuel filter (showed it to me) and replaced that. Said if it happens again I should have the tank flushed out and new pump put in but he doesn't have that much time in schedule until next week. And I want to get out of Tuscon! Drove better, but only went 20 miles. I will know more when I hit the road.

• 3 months later...

I had a 92 do something similar when hot. Driving around Colorado at elevation, stopping to look , wander around towns etc. Did it twice. first time I waited a while and it ran fine. 2nd time I poured a gallon of water around the engine compartment (not directly on the engine). It settled right down and ran good. I think a coil or plug wire was breaking down. Might be worth a try.. Kind of doubt that a fuel delivery issue would only happen at high temperatures.

BTW, after I realized what my issue was, when we were in hot & high scenarios I would open the hood for those short excursions in town to let the heat out.

a vapor lock problem only happens at high under hood temp. but I would not think it would happen with efi. had it happen in Colorado in my 1977 20 r Toyota corona wagon. with a carb. it kept running but the clear plastic gas filter was solid foam. the in tank electric fuel pump I think kept it from stalling. pulled over opened hood got cooled down and was ok never happened again.

Turned out the part about doing it when it was hot was just a coincidence. The real clue was that it did it when the gas tank was less than half full. My gas tank, pump and filter had to all be replaced due to incredible rustiness. The inside of the tank was so bad it couldn't even be flushed. I saw it.

Keep the tank full to avoid condensation of water from the air. Regular use will keep the water to a minimum since the ethanol in the gas will absorb it.

I would all so use plenty of stabill in the off season . I parked a datson years ago for a year and half with same problem. I use stabil in everthing gas powered. a full tank of gas is best.