Wheels Paint

pdqmovie

Mine are silver. I have seen gloss black, white, and grey also.

When I got my new tires I wanted to get my rims sandblasted and powder coated. The guy that was going to do it for me informed me that it would take 3 weeks to get the rims back. The tires went back onto my silver painted rims. It would have looked good but I was not going to wait 3 weeks.

Several years ago I wanted to do a fast and cheap job on my motorhome wheels. I am not a fan of rattle cans but going the fast and cheap route I purchased this paint at Wallys. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Color-Place-Rust-Control-Spray-Enamel-11-oz-Gloss-White/19535850

I was impressed with it, it looked good for several years. It did not need a primer. It is a soft paint so scuffed easy, any time a tire was changed I sprayed the nuts again. I do not know what color it comes in?

HTH JIm SW FL

What I did. Pressure wash the rims at a car wash. Use self etching primer 1 coat. Then to help hide minor imperfections I used Hammer tone spray paint.

I spray painted mine black. Personally I hate white wheels on an rv. If you do it yourself, spend time sanding and your paint job always looks better. Also you can do one wheel at a time and throw your spare on, so your still mobile, that's what I did. Pick your poison, your wheels!

post-7537-0-56003900-1422335242_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-46731800-1422335334_thumb.jp

Been a while since I saw a set of real chains I have run many miles and many winters on those like you have and gone up hills and past stuck people on compact ice compact ice with 3 inches of water on top slick as you know what. those are for serious going tough

Kayakthecoast, I think you have your chains on inside-out. I believe the lugs on the cross-chains should face the pavement. At least, that's the way I learned it when I was raised in Wyoming, lo these many years ago...

What I did. Pressure wash the rims at a car wash. Use self etching primer 1 coat. Then to help hide minor imperfections I used Hammer tone spray paint.

The hammer tone may have been a wise choice! I did mine in aluminum color and does not look good at all. JIm SW FL

• 3 months later...

Repainting the wheels while I have them off for airbags. The Rustoleum silver hammered paint looks much better than the silver spray paint I used. I am brushing it on which is challenging. But they will look super at anything over 6 MPH! Thanks pdqmovie for posting this. JIm SW FL

post-8092-0-17534700-1431014105_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

It has been a month and this Rustoleum Hammertone paint should be cured by now? This was brushed on, it is dry, but too soft and scratches far too easy. It looks nice and is ok for now but I would not use it again.

Jim SW FL

Having owned a few Tacoma's (including my 2011) their wheel paint sucks! I have sand blasted and primed them tried every thing what every they prime them with does not come off and won't take paint! I just get out my roll of roof flashing put it around the rim and paint the dang things every spring. Rustoleum usually sticks to any thing except Tacoma wheels for more than a year.