Transmission Dip Stick On V6 Will Not Go Back In

Just pulled the transmission dip stick for the first time on my 90 Dolphin with V6. When I tried to put it back in it stopped halfway down. Then I tried rotating it half a turn and inserting again. This time it met resistance at the halfway point but still went in but still not all the way. It stopped with about 3-4 inches to go. Firm pressure did nothing so I stopped and checked things.

The dip stick has two twists in it. One twist is a quarter turn spread smoothly and evenly over most of the length beginning just below the V bend and ending just above the highest hot notch, The other twist is a very sharp one-eighth turn halfway between the hot and cold notches. This is spread over less than a quarter inch of length. Are these twists supposed to be there? Or is the twist preventing a necessary bending? I am used to dip sticks that are flat the whole length.

My instincts tell me to get two pair of pliers and remove the twists but I don't know that much so am asking before doing. I plan a three hour drive in two days. Note: it is after 8pm so I can't just call a repair shop and ask.

I found a way. Instead of pushing on the end loop I push just above the tube, move it at most a quarter of an inch at a time until it eases past whatever was the problem.

I repeated this a couple of times to make sure that the first was not just luck.

I found a way. Instead of pushing on the end loop I push just above the tube, move it at most a quarter of an inch at a time until it eases past whatever was the problem.

I repeated this a couple of times to make sure that the first was not just luck.

That's the only way I am able to get the dipstik back in on my 89 3vze!...it is the hardest to reach and get back in of any vehicle I ever owned!!...I swear every time I check it!!

you guys are making it a lot harder than it has to be. the length & flexibility of the dipstick prevents the brute force method. when you pull it out note the orientation of the loop on the end - when you re-insert use that same orientation, The catch that holds it in interferes some - may have to hold it back some.

feed the dipstick in bit by bit gripping it just above neck opening and feed it in bit by bit.