So I drained and dropped my pan yesterday and reinstalled the pan with a duraprene gasket. Didn't put in new fluid until today cause the drain plug was stripped and I wanted to get a new one. Drain and fill is supposed to be about 2.5 quarts but I have put in a gallon and it's still not full. Hmm. About another quart came out today after sitting all night so that would explain some of it but 4 quarts seems like a lot. Not going onto the ground, I checked. Any ideas? It was leaking a fair amount but I was always careful to top it off frequently.

Linda S

Well if the pan is installed correctly, then all that is left is the dipstick is miss mounted

I don't understand. How could the dip stick be mis-mounted. It goes in all the way. Pan can only go on one way too. Pipe that goes to dip stick has to be pushed onto the upper dip stick pipe. I just left it. I will measure the fluid that came out tomorrow. I'm thinking it's cause I did pull the pan and more came out because of it.

Linda S

Removing the drain plug should be the same as removing the pan.

If you drained it and let it set the converter will slowly drain into the pan until it gets below the bottom of the front pump. There is a lot of oil hiding in there. If I remember correctly the dry fill is some where around 9 qts.

I'm sure the converter draining is why it's taking so much. My driveway is on a slight slant and I was surprised how much more came out the next day. Need to move it to park it level. Might already be filled and it's just not measuring right cause of the slant. Going to finish it today and take it out for a spin.

Linda S

I have a '93 V6 . When I changed my filter I was very careful not to scrap or ding the pan. My dipstick was jointed - I suggest you park level somewhere, put cardboard, maybe with some light sand all around & see where you may be leaking. A good wipe down first would be useful too.