Propane Tank Venting

Ok. It's new, but I'll make sure to check it out closely.

I assume it was a freak thing but my brand new Camco regulator started leaking two days after I installed it. It was defective and gas was coming out a small pin-hole (not the vent). Camco replaced it via a phone call with no proof of purchase. I assume they knew they'd had a bad batch of regulators.

post-6578-0-74727700-1405689441_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-26111600-1405689443_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-26326500-1405689444_thumb.jp

I'm still working on this issue, but stopped by the local propane place and wanted to check in here about what they said.

The guy looked at my tank and would not fill it. He says that even horizontal tanks like mine are supposed to be removed and filled upright, that they shouldn't be filled horizontally even though they're horizontal mount.

He did mention that he didn't like the strap holding it in, that it could be rusted and ready to drop the tank. I agree that the mounting system could be better and I plan to take the tank out, see how bad it is, and bring the tank in to be checked out.

But I'm curious about this refusal to fill a horizontal tank horizontally.

Sounds like he was misinformed the same as me. Your tanks are older and he probably has never seen one. Maybe if you print out the picture JD took of the tank label on his Chinook and take it with you to the propane store. Sounds like your label is missing

Linda S

Ah ok I didn't read the back & forth that didn't seem to have anything to do with my tank leaking :)

Well I still plan to get mine out and have a look at it, and get it tested. I'll show them that it's supposed to be filled horizontally and they'll learn something.

I just made a 5 day camp I took my spare tank out and put in before I left walked out the next day it was 106 deg heard a odd noise opened up my propane door and felt the safety vent on the back of the main valve and it was venting propane. first I ever had that happen on a rv tank. I think u haul over filled it , also want to say the po had installed a new reg but I had already changed it again it was the wrong one vent set up for a pull trailer so watch for that also. and my tank is a re certified 1972 bought in auto yard.

Same guy re-certified my tank today. He just looked it over for pitting. I mentioned the venting twice, and he just said it's doing what it should, because it probably gets hot and pressurized in the heat, and from the heat of the road (he really didn't like the mounting location - under the camper).

He still refused to fill it horizontally. So if I get it refilled again while I'm back in town, it can't be at Montana Propane. Unless I want to unbolt it from my camper every time I fill it. Which I don't.

At least he filled it this time. Just up to 90%.

Same guy re-certified my tank today. He just looked it over for pitting. I mentioned the venting twice, and he just said it's doing what it should, because it probably gets hot and pressurized in the heat, and from the heat of the road (he really didn't like the mounting location - under the camper).

He still refused to fill it horizontally. So if I get it refilled again while I'm back in town, it can't be at Montana Propane. Unless I want to unbolt it from my camper every time I fill it. Which I don't.

At least he filled it this time. Just up to 90%.

I think the guy has a screw loose in head if he claims the tank "is doing what it should." Escaping propane is dangerous. It should never happen unless you've landing on the planet Mars - or it was overfilled.

By the way - here's one horror story of an overfill and "normal" venting.

Jim Doe took two 100-pound propane cylinders to defendant Durnall and Campora Propane to be filled. The cylinders were overfilled, which did not leave room in the tanks for the propane to safely expand without dangerously venting gas. The tanks’ certifications also had expired, and the tanks were not fitted with overfill-protection devices, which would have prevented the overfilling.

After the cylinders were filled with propane, Doe drove home and parked his pickup truck in the driveway. A couple of hours later, he heard a hissing noise coming from near his truck and he went to investigate. A neighbor also heard the hissing sound and went to check. The neighbor saw a large cloud of propane vapor venting into the air from the back of Doe’s truck. Jim Doe was standing on the ground behind the truck. Suddenly, the propane cloud exploded in a fireball, engulfing him. The skin was burned off more than 80% of his body.

Doe was never again able to speak with anyone due to the severity of his pain and injuries. Despite heroic efforts by the trauma center to save his life, Jim Doe died two months after the explosion due to complications from his severe burn injuries.

Your story has me wondering if your fill-guy is really licensed to inspect and requalify propane tanks. It's not hard to check.

Anyone who inspects a tank and "requalifies" it has to mark the tank and has to be certified. That is - if done legally.

This link will give a state by state list of ALL of them who are certified.

http://phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.6f23687cf7b00b0f22e4c6962d9c8789/?vgnextoid=18dee6285188e110VgnVCM1000001ecb7898RCRD&vgnextchannel=90892f5484d87110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextfmt=print

Well if that "story" weren't clearly fiction it would mean more, but I understand it's meant to illustrate a point.

My tank serial number was entered onto some list they have, and they put a sticker on my tank with the date it was re-certified.

That doesn't mean they did a good job and I should trust them, but I think it's pretty obvious that the manager at the propane store (not some store that just fills propane tanks. A store which only does propane) is certified. He's the one the guys would go inside to grab when they weren't sure if they could fill a tank or not.

After the recert and refill is it still venting?

I'm not sure. I haven't noticed it yet but you can bet I'll be paying close attention.

I need to make absolutely sure, obviously, to find exactly where it's venting from. So if I hear it I need to run out and catch it right away. If there's a chance that it's actually venting from the regulator, then I could just replace it. I guess when/if it was overfilled last time, it may have caused the regulator to vent, and after reading some other stuff, it sounds like they're considered to be a one-time use kind of thing...if something causes the relief valve in the regulator to vent, you should replace it.

Anyway...I'm definitely watching things closely. I'm prepared to die eventually but I'd like it to be a few decades down the road still... :)

Well if that "story" weren't clearly fiction it would mean more, but I understand it's meant to illustrate a point.

My tank serial number was entered onto some list they have, and they put a sticker on my tank with the date it was re-certified.

That doesn't mean they did a good job and I should trust them, but I think it's pretty obvious that the manager at the propane store (not some store that just fills propane tanks. A store which only does propane) is certified. He's the one the guys would go inside to grab when they weren't sure if they could fill a tank or not.

You must have inside info I am not privy to. How do you know that specific story is fictional? Rouda Feder Tiejen & McGuinn is the law firm that says they won the case. 44 Montgomery St in San Fran-sicko, California. 415-398-5398. Are you claim these lawyers are lying? The won a $4.85 million settlement if they are telling the truth.

44 Montgomery St #4000, San Francisco, CA 94104

(415) 398-5398

$4.85 million settlement. This is one of the highest wrongful death settlements ever reported in San Joaquin County

Durnall & Campora: (1) negligently overfilled one or both of the propane cylinders causing propane to vent into the air, triggering this explosion; (2) negligently trained the employee who filled Doe’s cylinders; (3) negligently filled the two propane cylinders that Doe leased from Durnall & Campora, as neither cylinder was legally certified on the day of the accident; (4) negligently allowed customers, including Doe, to transport propane cylinders in horizontal fashion, thus increasing the danger of a propane incident; and (5) negligently failed to warn Doe of the consequences of transporting the propane cylinders in a horizontal fashion.

Does also alleged that Manchester, who manufactured the cylinders, was strictly liable for selling defective propane cylinders that failed to adequately warn consumers of the risk associated with transporting propane cylinders, and for failing to incorporate an overfill-protection device in its cylinders.

A few more these lawyers are lying about also??

Verdicts and Settlements:

• Wentz v. Triangle, $1.33 million jury verdict, reduced to $800,000 for comparative fault
  • March v. Baylands, Confidential settlement
  • Stewart v. American Poultry, $6.9 million jury verdict
  • Charles Yamamoto and George May v. Montgomery Elevator Company; 35 Stanford Street Building Corporation dba Pacific Elevator & Equipment Company, Inc.; Viola Industries; and Tosco Refinery Corporation, $3.96 million settlement, with $2.7 million to Yamamoto and $1.26 million to May
  • Gary LaPlante v. Chicago Pneumatic, $1.8 million settlement
  • Sergio Rodriguez and Maria Rodriguez v. San Jose Construction, $1.8 million settlement
  • Michael Patton v. Lincoln Property Co. and Larkspur Courts Associates, Patton settled with the property owner and management company for $1 million
  • Banuelos v. A&J Concrete Pumping, Mission Valley Ready Mix, and Pearsons Concrete, $1.5 million settlement
  • Jane Doe et al. v. Marin General Hospital, Confidential settlement
  • Reid v. Shorenstein Company, $1 million settlement
  • Porter v. Caltrans and Doe Dealership, $1.5 million settlement
  • Alex Z. v. Caltrans, $1.7 million settlement
  • Tuiaki v. Adelphia, $29 million settlement
  • The Penado Family v. Molex, Inc. and Regina Litz, $3.87 million settlement
  • Darr v. Matheson Fast Freight, $8 million settlement and Darr’s employer’s waiver of a $600,000 workers’ compensation lien
  • The Doe Family v. Durnall and Campora Propane, Inc. and Manchester Tank & Equipment Co., $4.85 million settlement. This is one of the highest wrongful death settlements ever reported in San Joaquin County

Actually I take that back...you aren't a troll, and I for some reason continue to engage you so it's my fault.

Not a troll, but I'm not exactly sure what you are.

Not sure what exactly your problem is? I posted a news story relevant to overfilling propane tanks. An issue that relates to your post. You stated what I posted was made up and not true. I posted more info that indicates otherwise. And now I"m the problem here? Now I'm a troll? You seem to have a very strange way of looking at things.

As do you, so you ought to understand.

You're filled with information. And I understand that the type of brain so able to fill up with and understand this kind of information is also the type to mostly be missing any social understanding.

So I get it. But that doesn't mean I'm obligated to enjoy it.

You posted a quote from I-had-no-idea-where. It read like a nice story to me, just like stuff people make up to illustrate a point, so I took it to be that. I didn't call anyone a liar, you did. And no, you aren't a troll. What you are, I'm still trying to figure out...

I'm done "writing people off" in my life, but I honestly don't feel that the information you posses is worth having to deal with the source. i.e. "you".

That's my "problem", exactly.

You're filled with information. And I understand that the type of brain so able to fill up with and understand this kind of information is also the type to mostly be missing any social understanding.

Look at who is "calling the kettle black!" Lack of social understanding?? I've raised 6 kids and often have 2 grandchildren with me. Had the same wife for a very long time. Have a dog that still likes me. I ran a shop with six mechanics in it and we all got along. Seems there must be some sort of "social understanding" going on in my neck of the woods. How is your record?

My opinion (and that is all it is) . . is you lack the "understanding" that on a public free forum - people come from a huge spectrum of experience and knowledge.

At least I had the "social. understanding" to send you a private email and tell you what I think - instead of doing it on a public forum only.

Well now I've done it in a private email and on a public forum, if that helps.

Probably I should keep my opinion of you between myself and you, and not out in public? Maybe. If so, I'm sorry for posting how I feel about you where everyone can see it.

However I see nothing overly negative that I didn't already take back (troll comment), and it all looks pretty civil to me. If your image of me is that I'm writing this stuff all red in the face and mad and hating, you, you're wrong. I'm completely calm and actually being pretty nice.

Just saying how I feel. Let's go ahead and stick to our agreement from here on out.