Awning On Sun Rader?

Debbit

I've done some searching, and maybe I've missed it. But, I'm wondering if an awning can be mounted to a sun rader without damaging the fiberglass. If so, would it be a special type?

They all have mounting bolts through the fiberglass and there should be some kind of bracket behind the fiberglass wall for extra support. I wouldn't put one on mine even though I know lots of toyhomes have them. I use a cheap drugstore patio umbrella, very light weight, and a base that you fill with water when you get to your camping spot. All the shade I need

Linda S

Good idea. Umbrella or small ezyup type freestanding. We had an awning on the dolphin and rarely used it. Have a nice dometic awning on the westfalia but seldom use it. Always putting it down when the wind picks up, and it starts to be a pain. But I was considering mounting it on the sunrader.

They are nice in hot sunny spots though.

The advantages I see of an actual installed awning are:

It's attached to the outside so you aren't carrying something extra.

And the shade it provides shades a whole side of your camper, not just an area for you to hang out in the shade, but a whole side of the camper so that it stays cool.

I think whether those advantages make drilling holes through your fiberglass worth it are up to each person.

With the overall condition of my Chinook...not bad, but definitely not "mint", I would have done it if I had thought of it while my walls and ceiling were out. Now that it's all put back together, it's not worth it to me to take it all back apart and put an awning in.

At first I bought a full-size "ez up" style shelter. But it packed down to about 4 1/2' high, pretty big around, and weighed 50lbs! No problem for weekend camping trips, but completely impractical for long trips. Just always in the way, and heavy.

So I sold that and bought this. Packs to the size of a large car camping style tent, and weights around 15lbs. http://www.rei.com/product/794290/rei-alcove-shelter

I bought the "wind walls", too. But I bought them as privacy walls. Because for anything more than a light breeze, they'd be more like parachute walls...

post-6535-0-68372400-1399842522_thumb.jp

It works well for me. I can stand up along the center. Otherwise it's more for sitting under.

Umbrella is definitely the cheapest, easiest, lightest way to go...

My umbrella can be taken apart and fits in a small plastic bag about 3 1/2 feet long. Maybe weighs 5 lbs. The base of course is just an empty plastic thing when your traveling and weighs zip. All goes under the table in the back with plenty of room to still put your feet down. Besides if there's a nice spot by the creek I can put it up anywhere I want. Fishing in the shade is worth a million awnings

Linda S

Less than Zacks answer, but might be it for someone else http://sport-brella.com/

Yep, depending on your needs, pretty nice. I like simplicity, even though I stray pretty far from it when I'm not paying attention...

Yeah John, getting some good places. More photos in my project thread. I'm learning not to go down all the roads I want to go down, though...I'm rattling this thing to pieces. I've seriously flexed the fiberglass and fiberglass-to-cab joints a bunch of times on some roads. I started getting a crazy vibration sound from wind blowing through the cab to cab-over seal after trying to get up a road yesterday.

No way I'm sticking to paved roads...but I'm turning around a lot earlier than I used to on rough roads. Still getting over not having a 4x4...

Well, I didn't see an obvious place to mount an awning even though I have seen fiberglass campers with awnings. I'm glad to know an awning can be securely mounted. Yeah, I think I was afraid of damaging the fiberglass. I think I'll wait a while and see if we miss having on on this camper. Thanks everyone

• 1 month later...

we've decided to go with some kind of freestanding shade. We have a nice awning on our westfalia, but seldom use it. Thinking it throughout,we decided that:

1. We set up awning, but we usually have to put it in if it looks like a wind storm will come up.

2. We set up awning, but have to put it in if we want to drive somewhere.

3. We don't set up awning, because it is windy or we won't be there long enough to warrant the trouble.

We have used and enjoyed the awning, it is wonderful to have the shade, but being an older style, it can be tricky to take out and put in. Most of the time it is stable in wind and rain, but a fierce wind could cause the awning to flap around. New have a beautiful new paint job on the westy, and I really don't want aluminum legs flailing around. On the sunrader, I'm reluctant to drill holes, and the same reasons mentioned would apply to it.

Maybe this post should be in new products, but it is on the same topic, so....

Target has a shelter that is everything I wanted. It is called the Coleman super light shelter. It is fast and easy set up, sturdy and light weight. It did cost more than some I've had, but it's very nice quality, and perfect for our needs!

I've put it up and taken it down a few times and I'm really happy with it.

post-7310-0-29809400-1403070266_thumb.jp