I have been reading the past forums like crazy - LOTS of good advice as I am looking at various years and models to buy (it will be my first RV). So far I haven't seen any threads on how many miles is considered a lot of miles for a Toyota. I am edging towards the 22r - because of the incredible reliability, etc. When does the mileage get high enough that, even for a Toyota, problems are much more likely to occur. Is 100,000 considered high? Is it better to stick with something well under 100,000. Any input is greatly appreciated.

We have 105,500 miles on our 1985 Dolphin with the 22re engine, which we purchased last summer at 103,000 miles. I'm not a mechanic at all, but most of what I've read and been told, by two different trusted mechanics and others, suggests we are just getting started and can look forward to years of service from that engine, well past the 200,000 mile mark. Since we figure we probably won't ever put more than a few thousand miles a year on it, we expect to keep rolling for a long time. It had a valve job just before we bought it and appears to have been maintained scrupulously. We are only the third owners. It has always lived indoors when not in use and still does. I kid you not when I say the finish looks like new. And it really waxes up nicely!

I can't say I've seen or heard a lot about the transmission though. If anyone has feed back about this it would be appreciated. My mechanic seems to think that there can be issues with this transmission (automatic with overdrive) around the 150,000 mark, depending on how it is maintained and driven. We leave the overdrive off. We do have the auxiliary transmission cooler (I'm told this is a must. So if you find one without it, plan to add it). So we are hopeful.

I've also been told that a vehicle this old with too few miles could be more of problem than one having too many miles. If it only has 40,000 miles on it, you have to wonder how it was stored for the last 30 years and how the engine was protected during prolonged periods of storage.

All that being said, I tell anyone who asks me about my Toy that you really need to expect to put money into it on an ongoing basis. It's 30 years old! But you probably won't pay more than 6-8000 bucks for one. We paid $6400. As I write this, ours is in the shop for a bunch of upgrades before this coming season. We're replacing all the vacuum lines, hoses and belts. Most were in pretty good shape, but we figure why take the chance of a 30 year old vacuum line cracking during a road trip. We also are having the leaf springs re-arched and a new spring added to each side. Again, regardless of mileage, this thing has had a massive amount of weight sitting on it for 30 years.There was noticeable tilt to the passenger side too. But that would be expected since the water tank, fuel tank (for the most part) propane tank, refrigerator and stove are all on that side. In our case, there was an auxiliary gas tank added which is even more weight on that side.

We replaced the water heater and had to replace the bathroom faucet last summer. All the other appliance stuff is in tip top shape.

We went for the 4 cylinder because our trusted mechanic friend said the 6 cylinder engine can have head gasket issues. He also suggested the power difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder, though obviously a factor, shouldn't be a big consideration. As he put it, either way, you're going to be going slow! So why not go slow with the more reliable engine?

Good luck with your search. Whatever you buy, be ready to do some work on it and spend some money on it. Otherwise, spend 60,000 on something newer. But I don't think it would be near as much fun. Dolphins have STYLE! Have fun with the process and enjoy the scenery. At the speeds you'll be achieving, you get to see a lot of things you might otherwise miss. Also, watch your head getting in and out of the vehicle portion. These are head bangers for sure! We still crack ours now and then.

Joe

Provided you have the valve adjustment done, supposed to be every 60,000 miles, the V6 can last a very long time. A member of one of my groups, maybe belongs to this one too, just had his engine replaced at 225,000 miles. It's all about maintenance.

Linda S

Well the mileage should have a lot of bearing on your decision, the PO DOCUMENTED repairs and maintenance is of more importance.

both engines are solid. the trannies on the 4 can get you IF YOU overheat them. Same is true for the V6 but less likely,

essentially if you are on flatlands either will do. if you go over big hills (like the rockies) if you drive smart then you should be fine.

I will mention that if you check the cabin carefully for leaks - they can be quite an issue.

The condition of appliances, tires, AC etc should be given attention too.

It is definitely all about maintenance. You could get something like i got with 80k miles on it and I just did an entire engine rebuild due to a bad head gasket. Then again you could find a Toyota with 150k miles that was taken care of and driven correctly with proper maintenance and it will last another 150k easy. If you're looking at something in the 80k-120k mile mark, you should inquire about timing chain replacement, water pump, valve jobs, etc... Another consideration is something could have 100k miles and be in great shape from being driven often, and then something could have 20k miles and be in horrible shape for sitting for many years. The first time you'd go to drive it just about every seal would be gone, tires, etc.