Newbie With 92 Itasca Spirit

canman47

Hi folks, I wish I'd found this forum before I bought but better late than never. I've downsized from a 71 Class A Dodge so I'm having to make some adjustments with the Toyota. I've only used one tank of gas but I guess I'm disappointed to get less than 13 mpg. With a 17 gallon tank that's barely a 200 mile range which is just not enough for the remote places I like to visit. Any way to get a bigger tank? Also the payload seems really low. According to the Winnebago manual I can only carry about 600 lbs. So thats 3 adults and not much else or 2 adults and some gear. Guess I'll be using what I learned in my backpacking days about packing light. It's definitely easier to drive than my big rig but I'd like to carry a barbecue and lawn chairs and stuff. Doesn't seem to be room. Is it OK to put some kind of carrier on the trailer hitch? I'm hoping this will work out for me since it's in great shape and I got an excellent price. It has 75,000 miles. How long do these V6's go? I've had good luck with Toyota pickups.

I would think rv manufacture 600lb is talking about supply weight not counting people..
Yes your going to pack light and find a way to utilize all storage space you have
for better mpg drive at 55mph that's the sweet spot for these rigs
for a hitch that depends what you have in the rear for support if its just a bumper and no frame work going to rear axel then its not a good idea...bumper wont hold up.. If you got some good support then I would say get a 500lb carrier and keep it under loaded..
the v6 have had recalls on the head gasket use your vin and see if fixed if not fixed replace head gasket & do a valve job.. Might be a good thing to do no matter what your rig has the miles on it for the valve job
welcome and good traveling

i bought a low cost carrier from harbor freight. but my receiver has been reinforced. i carry two folding chairs in the top bunk. i carry a small webber gas grill . on the carrier i carry a small metal table and my 18 gallon thetford smart tote.

I agree with sdboltdude. Drive at 55 mph and you should get a little better gas mileage. I have an Escaper -4 cylinder with automatic and get about 15 mpg at that speed. If I kick it up to 65 mph I get 12 to 13. My RV weights in at about 5700 with full gas, empty water and waste tanks.

I hope that the previous owner didn't promise that you would get 20 mpg. It seems to happen when people are selling their RV. Some of the smaller/lighter units may get that but not one as heavy as yours.

I had my rear bumper rebuilt and reinforced and I use a rear carrier for very light loads (under 100 #'s.) The weight is hanging way behind the rear axle and what you put back there will really affect bumper height.

I camped on motorcycle for years BC (before children) and having the RV is pure luxury. I have to constantly remind that beautiful woman that I share life with that we have a very limited carrying capacity.

Fuel range is an issue - best you can expect is 15 mpg. And yes useful load is an issue too, Most of these toys are running around over weight. As for bumper loads I would go easy there. I have had a 92 itasca spirit (rear bath 321) & now have a 93 winnie warrior (rb 321). I carry a spare tire & a small gas can & sometimes a bicycle on the rear. These units are not approved to tow anything.

I think the V6 is a solid engine. same engine used on the 4 runners in that year. Check with any Toy dealer to see if your head gasket recall was done - all they need is the VIN. If has been done they can tell you when & where it was done.

I ran my new camper out of gas once - on purpose- i had gas in a can & wanted to see how much my tank would hold. I was making hard turns so I think I still had a gallon left. Yes I had a 17 gallon tank & yes range is an issue. Now that my old kohler gen died & I replaced it with a honda 2000 I carry a 2.5 gallon gas can. I believe these have a submerged fuel pump in the gas tank and I have heard you do not want to run those dry - i try to always fill up by quarter tank.

Guess one could carry a 5 gallon jerry can but if I was doing it I would want it on the front - these are tail heavy to begin with it.

as for a "valve job" i would not mess it with it unless you are burning oil. Maybe a valve adjustment would be in order. I am at 72k & at a 90k I plan to do a timing belt which means a new water pump, some seals etc - the dealer wants $600 to do it all.

I'm sure glad for this sight and wish I had know about it before buying but as my Dad used to say" Can't cry over,...........you know the rest. Anyway I take ownership May 2nd and found out Linda S is right around the corner from where I will be working on it in Los Gatos,Ca.! What providence so just picking your experienced brains out there. 43,000 miles, 4 speed 500 series Dolphin. What would you do 1st ,2nd, 3rd etc?,................Have a Yosemite/south on 395 to Lone pine where me and my oldest brother motorcycled camped in 1982 then Big Sur back to San Jose in a week. Advice if this was yours?

Tom

Thanks for the replies. So my engine did have the head gasket work done. Timing belt and valve adjust at 60,000 and runs pretty good but thirstier than I expected. Previous owner implied that it got better than 15 mpg but that's not the case. Don't really want to carry gas inside. So I was hoping there was a bigger after market tank available but then I'm cutting into payload which is already minimal. The 600 lb. load limit includes everything not installed by Winnebago. That means people, water tank, food and any gear you bring along. It has a frame mounted hitch but according to the manual it can't be used to tow anything. Has a bike rack there now. If I put some kind of rack out there it will have to be really light since that weight will be way behind the rear axle. And I didn't realize until after I bought it that it doesn't have a spare tire. There's no mention in the manual but I assume if you get a flat you have to use one of the rear dualies as a spare and drive carefully on one rear to a tire shop. I'm often in remote areas with no cell service where I can't just call for road service. How would you carry a spare? Then again it would cut into the precious payload limit by 50-60 lbs. What do others do? By the way, the recommendation to drive 55 is well taken but if I did that on most highways in California I'm afraid I would enrage other drivers since the slow lane is usually going 70!

Edited by canman47

Speed limit for big rigs in California is 55mph. Lots don't stay there but quite a few big truck companies require their drivers to obey the limit. Find one and hang there behind it. No one will wonder why you don't want to pass a big rig. I personally have never had anyone throw me the finger or otherwise do anything when I'm driving under 60, ever

Linda S

Did you look under the coach to see if there is a spare tire is mounted under there with a cable mount? I have seen a couple made that way.

don't sweat what other drivers think. I have found that I enjoy the byways more anyway - since I will not be going more than 60 anyway.

I have my spare mounted on the rear bumper. My 93 has a steel box bumper - my 92 had an aluminum one. My 1/5 gallon gas can fits nicely between the spare tire & the body.