How Much Gas Does A V6 Use When It Idles For An Hour?

I'm about to head up to mammoth lake tomo and was wondering how much gas would it be using when idling for an hour. I'm planning on using my cab heater for heat since I don't know how to use the propane.

Also I bought 2 power inverters from Walmart trying to power my playstation 4. None has worked. I don't want to use the generator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would guess there are too many variables to know. Fill your tank, let it idle an hour, then fill it again. Bingo, you will have the answer for your particular engine.

Wouldn't it be much easier to learn how your propane (or furnace) system works? Short of that, I would go ahead and use the generator with a small ceramic heater.

FWIW: You seem to be avoiding learning about your motorhome systems. They really aren't complicated.

Are you going to idle for an hour, or all night? Otherwise why would you run out of gas in the middle of the night?

You're going to need to start taking responsibility and figuring things out. People over the internet can only hand out so many free answers as a work-around to actually figuring out how to use your motorhome.

A bit more that a generator would. Bottom line about .3 liters an hour while that is not much it maybe the most inefficient way to make heat and possible one of the more dangerous ways if you are going to sleep with it running. It also. Just to add a little more fuel to the fire so to speak is the catalytic converter it gets hot, real hot when it is sitting still it is cooled by moving air it can set fire to the carpet over it. Just one more thing the heater was designed to heat a small pickup it will not have much luck heating a motor home.

Toobigboat,

If you run the engine all night while you are trying to sleep, you'll probably die. The exhaust will find its way into the coach and kill you. Don't be such a dummy about your propane system! Go to a local RV dealer and have someone there show you how to at least turn the tank on. They can also check for leaks and then you should be good to go. Running the furnace is about as complicated as flipping a switch. You can flip a switch, can't you?

Toobigboat,

If you run the engine all night while you are trying to sleep, you'll probably die. The exhaust will find its way into the coach and kill you. Don't be such a dummy about your propane system! Go to a local RV dealer and have someone there show you how to at least turn the tank on. They can also check for leaks and then you should be good to go. Running the furnace is about as complicated as flipping a switch. You can flip a switch, can't you?

What he said times ten. What if it snows in the night and blocks the exhaust from escaping and it builds up under your rig. If you refuse to learn how to use your rig at least pay the money and get hookups so you can use a space heater. If the play station is for kids and not you please know that they will die first.

Linda S

I'm starting to wonder if this poster really owns a toy.

It's beginning to sound more like a college prank.

Nobody is really this stupid today. Especially with all the online resources available.

Why all these negative people up in here.

Yes I own a toy.

Just asking basic questions.

I thought this forum is to help people out with their ownership of our toy.

When I went to Las Vegas 3 weeks ago and ran the cab heater 2 hours straight while we slept. Low and behold we all are alive.

Sorry that we all are not mechanically inclined to rocket scientists.

I think that we can all be a little nicer to TooBigBoat. Yes, he has many questions, but, he is trying to learn. I think that maybe he got in over his head and got some bad advice from somewhere along the line. The reality is, these things don't get 20 mpg while driving at 65 mph. You said that driving slow was not an option, my suggestion is to get a small RV with a big engine, you will be happier but you will still get 10 mpg like your ToyHouse when it is floored all the time.

These RV's are getting very old and need constant attention. You will learn how to do most of this stuff in time. Send me a private message and I will help you with what I can.

Please don't get upset when someone tells you that running your engine for long periods is dangerous. Every year people die from this exact situation.

There's a difference between ignoring good advice, wanting to be handed things, doing no work on your own - and people expecting you to be a rocket scientist.

You've got to put in some effort, and you've got to learn how to properly use your RV. If you're starting to think that you won't get sympathy from us if you keep ignoring good advice, you're right.

But if you think people are expecting too much out of you, you're completely wrong.

You either need to be willing to learn how your RV functions, or you've got no business owning one.

Many people on this site are experienced. Which is why they tell you what they tell you. You ignore their advice, then get bent out of shape when they don't tell you what you want to hear? Either take the advice, or stop asking questions. What's the point? Either take the advice, or stop wasting people's time, your own included.

If you want to learn to use your RV, stick around, and listen to what people say. If you want to cut corners and ignore good advice, I don't see any reason to be here.

I simply asked how much gas it gonna be used as it idle for an hour.

Have anyone even consider that not all of my things in my rv works. I already have things checked out in my rv. Gonna cost me an arm n leg to fix them.

I'm just a simple person wanting to enjoy road trips. Don't need all that extra stuff. My frig ain't working so I got a ice chest. Stove don't work gonna use the microwave. No hot water so I'm gonna shower at a hotel.

Gee. Tough crowd here .

If you want to use you RV like a giant hard sided tent, that is fine. My wife and I pretty much do that ourselves. I also like to have the option of cranking up the furnace, using the oven, or taking a hot shower. For this reason, I have asked many questions here and these fine people have talked me through many repairs.

You can learn to repair everything in your RV if you want. You don't have to pay shop labor rates (about $60/hr). You just take it one step at a time.

Toobigboat,

I THINK THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY PULLING EVERYONE'S LEG ON OUR WEBSITE, WITH EACH POST THAT YOU MAKE.

I WAS SUSPICIOUS OF THIS, EVER SINCE YOUR VERY FIRST QUESTION THAT YOU HAD POSTED TO US.

(I for one, am not falling for your little joke on us).

Sincerely,

~Riverman77