I went to get my toy smog today only to find out that the emissions are way too high. The guy said it's running too rich and I will need some sensors co and maybe even a cat converter. My toy has only 72k very well maintained.

Anyone know where I can get parts cheap. The oxygen sensor cost $110 and the cheapest cat I found is $230 plus labor.

Btw the guy at the smog place totally rip me off. He said he knew it was gonna fail and tested me anyways just to make his $70 . I gotta pay another $70 to retest it. I hate dishonest mechanics. Then he wants $85 to run a diagnostic test. I know I need one but not from shady people like him.

I'm located in the long beach ca area. Anyone knows a fair mechanic please let me know.

Thanks

So why didn't you make the seller smog it. Telling you it's been maintained is nothing compared to what a clean smog test will tell. It is the law here in California. The seller is required to smog it. That he didn't should have given you a clue that it wasn't as well taken care of as you thought. Kind of explains your poor mileage too.

Linda S

The owner changed his number, omg, he is located in San Diego. Seem like a very decent person. Moral of the story never trust anyone, I was so excited when I bought it. The interior is amazing, I forgot to ask about the smog, jump the gun and paid him $8500 cash drove it straight home.

I guess after fixing all the issues, I'm hoping it won't cost more than $500. I will still be happy.

I did the same thing when I bought my RV...No smog and bad paper work

and of course smog failed I had to install new plugs wires and distributor

the biggest headache was getting the pink slip finished up..

The guy I bought RV from never put RV in his name and moved out of state..

I had to track down the guy he bought the RV from sit outside his house until he came home and ask him to finish up paper work lucky he was nice enough to help me out

so don't feel to bad you're not the only one who got excited and drove off to find out there's still work to be done to get RV registered.

I was so excited when I bought it. The interior is amazing, I forgot to ask about the smog, jump the gun and paid him $8500 cash drove it straight home.

Do you have the figures for the emission test? HC,CO etc? Interested in how they arrived at what they thought you needed.

• 2 weeks later...

My Vegas trip i average 12.5 mpg going 65-70 mph. Driving at a snail pace killed me. I once consider down grading to a 4 banger. No way. The v6 don't even have enough power to climb that hill before Vegas. I swear I was going 45 mph with the pedal to the metal. I was not fully loaded. About 500 pounds of human weight. Wife is sorta disappointed...

Sounds like your having buyers remorse.

These old toys are a lot of fun. You have to be into it for the long haul.

Actually at 65-70 mph that mileage doesn't sound too bad. At 55 mph you would probably hit that magic 15 mpg mark.

Just shoving you foot to the floor may not be all you need. Did the Toy downshift and let the engine wind up? I have not found a hill that requires the gas pedal on the floor. I shift down to the highest gear that allows the engine to spin freely at 4500 rpm's. I have gone up some hills that required first gear but even then I was spinning the engine and never came close to flooring it.

My wife and I travel at the speed of slow and totally enjoy it. When we are traveling alone, we stay away from the interstate and stop at anything that looks interesting. I am retired and enjoy the pace. You also get to meet some really interesting people when you get off the super slab.

45mph with pedal to the metal is a Toyota thing. Except for the new ones. I've had 6 Toyota trucks, and power is something not one of them had. Get used to it or get a domestic V8 motorhome.

In all of my trucks, without motorhomes on them, 45mph is 3rd gear is exactly how I climb mountain passes. Sometimes 50ish in 4th flooring it, but it's usually better to stay in the powerband, below redline, than to be floored and up one gear too high. At least in 3rd at 45 you have some room left in the gas pedal if you need to pass a semi going 43mph and don't want to hold up the other traffic in the passing lane for too long.