Scooter Carrier Ready !

Nicehobbits

Got to build my scooter transport today .. Very happy how it turned out , little more work to finish , going to add some lights too ...

Camper hardly moved when we pushed the scooter on ! .

Got our Kayaks up on the roof to ..

Soon be time to hit the road to Mexico .

post-7414-0-52478900-1386802856_thumb.jp

how much does the scooter weigh?

I would also be interested in knowing if you have air bags on the MH?

Yes I have new air bags .. 208 kg .

Looks nice!

You ARE going to be scraping that thing on the road quite a bit. But maybe you knew that. I'd look into putting some skateboard wheels on the bottom of it for when it drags. There's a thread on here about it somewhere...

My Chinook has a tray sticking out the back, but it doesn't drop down as low as yours. It's more flush with the bumper. Approach and departure angles are rough...I scrape a lot.

Hey Montana

Good info .. That's good idea on the wheels .. Used to have a born free with wheels on the back .

From the camara angle it does look low , but it's actually not bad , I've made a few carriers over the years & I feel confidant on this one , but you never know brother !!! ... I'm going to put 2 wheels under it tomorrow , just because .

Ill chain it to the toyota then if it does fall off I'll be able to drag it lol .

Putting my magnetic tail lights on the back , my toyota lights are just a little unseen .

If .. If .. If I arrive back to Canada with it still on the back as I left .. Maybe ill put it into production lol

This maybe a better photo ... Still going with the wheels though .. Good call .

post-7414-0-35587400-1386809802_thumb.jp

If your going to be offroading much, maybe wide skids would be better than wheels

If your going to be offroading much, maybe wide skids would be better than wheels

Maybe I should put it on the roof ? .....

Hey WME ..

You may like my Land Rover I built when I lived in the UK in the late 90's ... I used to off road / camp with it ... Go on a trip or two !!!!!

In 1999 I went on a road trip of 15,000 miles .. Driving from England overland to India via Europe & the then Safe Middle East .

post-7414-0-30973900-1386815024_thumb.jp

Hey L S ..

The frame looks to have been beefed up some time in the past , when the tow hitch was installed & before I bought it .... It also looks like it could have possibly been done at the factory as it has reciver hitches on the front & back of the camper ! ..

The rear hitch has nice 1/4 inch plate welded into the frame , someone took time in putting a good hitch on the camper some time back , I do hear you though about the frame , cus it's been beefed up but still looks well " skinny " ...

I found it hard to make a decision on the scooter carrier , but we like having 2 wheels for getting around town .... So we will see ! .

Yes it does sound like yours has been beefed up. Keep an eye on it though. It's not the smooth roads that are the problem it's the bumps. That scooter is coming down hard on your frame. Inspect from time to time for peace of mind.The wheels will help

Linda S

You got right on with the roads ... Toll roads in northern Mexico are just as good as any US freeway ... "BUT" the B roads are a little more rustic !! ... The speed bumps are my largest concern as they jump out & bite your under carriage hard when you don't see one .

But on a good side , in every small town we can find a welder ... If needed .

Will update from the front line once I've got a 1000k on it .

i thought mine was reinforced well enough also (regularly carry two 75 lbs. electric scoots on mine on cargo carrier). The frame and the hitch's wale tail weren't the issue; the thin gauge steel of the bumper was. your bumper if stock will tear just from what Linda mentioned where the box tube steel attaches to the bumper. fortunately for me i just grabbed my welder, jacked it back up and put some nice flow on that was better than the stock weld. Since then i carry the batteries in the vehicle as they were the lions share of the weight are were in bags with detachable power couplings anyway. small amount of work to save the bumper welds i did. that's assuming the bumper is part of the landing of the whole setup that is.

More photos

post-7414-0-28178400-1386870737_thumb.jp

post-7414-0-16166400-1386870759_thumb.jp

i thought mine was reinforced well enough also (regularly carry two 75 lbs. electric scoots on mine on cargo carrier). The frame and the hitch's wale tail weren't the issue; the thin gauge steel of the bumper was. your bumper if stock will tear just from what Linda mentioned where the box tube steel attaches to the bumper. fortunately for me i just grabbed my welder, jacked it back up and put some nice flow on that was better than the stock weld. Since then i carry the batteries in the vehicle as they were the lions share of the weight are were in bags with detachable power couplings anyway. small amount of work to save the bumper welds i did. that's assuming the bumper is part of the landing of the whole setup that is.

Totem ...

The bumper on our rig is just a tin box , it houses the sewer pipe ,,, I would never load anything on a bumper .. Most are made thin to crush on impact anyways .

I like to always go off the frame .

I had it on the road today for a test drive , the old lady followed to keep me informed .... Handled the same as before , just a slight shimmy at 96mph !! .

208 kilograms? Tell me you're not putting 458 pounds on the back end of a dolphin that would be insane even with that nice carrier mounted to the frame. Maybe a Honda Spree or a very light trailer would be workable. That is an incredible safety hazard I hope you're staying somewhere that uses the metric system and thinks Kokane is high quality beer. :)

Edited by tacoma_mike

What kind of tow would one recommend for saying pulling a scooter? I know some tows you need to register with the DMV others you do not based on size. I think it's better to pull weight then to carry it on the back axle. I've been curious since I have a small Toy...

208 kilograms? Tell me you're not putting 458 pounds on the back end of a dolphin that would be insane even with that nice carrier mounted to the frame. Maybe a Honda Spree or a very light trailer would be workable. That is an incredible safety hazard I hope you're staying somewhere that uses the metric system and thinks Kokane is high quality beer. :)

Explain how you know that this is a safety hazard.

Explain how you know that this is a safety hazard.

Hey Montana .. I also was going to ask .. But thought someone would anyways ...

Also presuming I'm insane & a drug user .. ... O well ! .

Anyways it's Friday ..... Weekend

Nice mount, I've been debating the mounting of mine a chopped Honda CM total weight around 300lbs, for when I get to that point. I'm still debating to put it in the rear or on the front, aerodynamics have me leaning towards the rear, and trying to figure out where to go with the genny that's back there, either it up front, roof or possibly elsewhere...

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "I question your confusing insult with trying to save someone's life".

But, what I saw from Tacoma Mike was that he had two posts total on this forum, and right away is borderline insulting people. And I know enough about people on the internet pretending to know what they're talking about when they really don't, that it was worthwhile to ask where his knowledge comes from.

Might be he really does know what he's talking about and can teach us something. Might not...

But no, 96mph does not sound safe, in any way. I'd like to think he meant kmph...that would be better...But no. 96mph is not safe in an RV of any size.

It was 196mph ...

Seriously do you know any toy that can get over 55mph lol ....

I'm sorry it must be a Anglo/Canadian thing ... Joking around ey .

Peace right at ya ... I just think myself & Montana felt the new member was a little rude ...

I have to say I'm a member of many groups & this one is very well run & has a great group base ... Very Helpfull ! .

After fixing my brakes today ,, I've now fitted a parachute on the back !!

I found the 96 mph comment hilarious. If anyone thought you really were going to go that fast with a motorcycle mounted on the back it would indeed be dangerous. I know it's hard for us experienced members cause we do already know everything but please let new members get their feet wet before we go all X-men on them.

Linda S

I get Canadian humor. Only joke I've ever been able to remember is a very non-politically correct Newfie hunting joke. Very twisted humor