2nd Toyota Purchase

Nicehobbits

Good evening All

Well we are presently in a relationship with Bonnie a 1989/90 dolphin 3.0 V6 .. She is very nice !

Our friends / neighbors love to come bye & take a look , very interested to see how things look inside , it's surprising how much room the little rids have inside ey .

Well ... We have located another Toyota & think it maybe a possible unit for one of our friends ... BUT it's a 85 in year & we are not sure about the axle issues !!

Is it something that would be a Deal killer ...

Are their members that own Toyotas & run the older axles with no problems ? .

I talked with our friends & told them if anyone will know it will be you guys

Thanks in advance

Others will know more.

But there are plenty of toyhomes out there running old axles "with no problems". It's not a problem until a rear tire literally separates from the axle and goes rolling down the road by itself, and you hope you weren't going more than 30mph and hopefully not into a curve.

Most wouldn't feel safe running the non one-ton axle.

Hi Derek ...

No it's not .. Total original toy ... .... My wife likes it due to a diff layout to our present toy ... Has sitting room in back ,, so myself & Momma could sleep in a bit more comfort & the kids up on the cab over .....

But it has 5 lug rear end

I've just spent like 1 hour watchin videos .. Sure is a lot still with 5 lug ...

What you think Derek ... Better left alone or go for it !

Derek ..

What's involved in upgrading the Axle .. As you say a $1000 bucks , is there a place that supply's the 1 ton axle for this very purpose

Or is it a mater of locating a used one from a toyota that has past away .

I'm guessing this unit we are looking at slipped through the net when it came to the factory upgrade right .

As I'm up ere in Manacooolba Canada ey it's kinda hard finding used parts ...

But I love a project ... Projects keep me alive ..

Noticed a 1ton axle on the parts for sale on this site ...

It's off a Nissan .. But maybe would work ?

It depends on vehicle weight. Read the mfg data sheet and compare to the gvw of the drivetrain.

Many of the smaller more lightweight homes were exempt from the factory recall.

Preventative maintenance is also very important. If your driving around on 25 year old axles that have never had the bearings and seals replaced, especially if your near the top % of weight chances are pretty good you'll have axle failure.

My 1979 (16') is running on the original 5 lug rear axles with foolies. My total vehicle weight including me is 4200#.

The first thing I did was change bearings and seals. Next added 75-140 synthetic gear oil to the rear axle. I've logged on over 25K miles of often extreme driving speeds with no problems.

We've all heard the story of the rear tire(s) separating from the axle. Other than that one example, I have yet to read about any others.

Bottom line the choice is up to you.

Axle failure doesn't usually happen in a heartbeat. There will be signs such as grinding noise or visible fluid leak(s) around the rear backing plate where it meets the axle. Every time you check your rear tires take a closer look at this area.

Thanks Fred

That's good info to have to make a decision .. I like preventative maintenance ..

One thing I have found is that it seems no twin wheel regular 1 ton pickup was ever made ... They are all single wheel .

Was the twin wheel axle on the 88 campers on specially made for the rv only ? .

Thanks for your input again

Anyone else with info please chip in ..

The 5 lug axles will all have "foolies" (fake dual wheels). The 1988 you mentioned is probably a true 1 ton axle with true dual wheels. It all comes down to the amount of weight you plan to carry.

The true 1 ton axles will have a protruding hub.

As far as why they made "foolies" I suspect it was to cosmetically hide the difference in actual axle width vs. the width of the coach body. The foolie will add some degree of extra weight carrying capacity along with a little better side sway prevention.

I believe in the Recall notice, they specifically indicated that the fake dullies aggravated the problem. T Fake dullies aggravate the problem because they shift the loads from the center of the bearings, to the sides of the bearings, and can cause a twisting of the drive axle shaft.

IMHO - From my engineering experience. If I got stuck with a fake dullie and was not allowed to upgrade to full floating. I would do this.

1) Weigh the truck, get separate reading for front and rear axle. (Your looking for a rear weight of less than 4000 lbs)

2) Remove the fakes, ( The main reason they used these was because tires were not avail)

3) Pull the rear axles and inspect the bearings, inspect the rear end fluid.

4) Re-install the axles, install single wheel and tire on rear, using Hankook RA08 195R75 light truck tire.

5) Keep loading as light as possible, Load heavy stuff as far forward as possible

6) Hold speeds to 55mph, attempt to stay on good roads.

7) Keep AAA up to date and make sure road service will allow towing of RV.

Hankook tires

The 195 is rated at 2100 lbs MAX

The 185 is rated at 1875 lbs MAX

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)

I'd like to John's item #2. :)

VERY carefully inspect the axles before reinstalling. If you've any doubt that they might have already started to suffer from fatigue, replace them with new.

I've read the official recall paperwork several times.

The actual (and I'm sure very carefully chosen) words from the recall (91V060000):-

"Summary:

REAR AXLE BEARINGS MAY FAIL DUE TO A BENDING MOMENT CREATED BY THE AFTERMARKET DUAL REAR WHEELS FROM A VARIETY OF FACTORS AND ESPECIALLY WHEN OVERLOADED. FAILURE OF THE BEARINGS CREATE STRESSES ON THE REAR AXLE, RESULTING IN THE BREAKAGE OF THE AXLE."

Source:- http://auto-recalls.justia.com/national-rv/dolphin/1983/91v060000/index.html

So I'd suggest that at the very least you have the rear bearings inspected or replaced and the axles VERY carefully inspected or replaced with new. IF the bearings have not been allowed to deteriorate, then there 'might' not have been undue stresses put on the axles. They very clearly state "FAILURE OF THE BEARINGS CREATE STRESSES ON THE REAR AXLE ...".

It might just be semantics. But it's your neck.

Well thanks for all getting back ..

I'm just in from work & what a great response !

Well like I say out Toyota has the 1 Ton axle .... The 2nd Toyota we are thinking about has the 5 stud rear end ... We would like this one better than ours only due to layout ... Our friends could then buy ours .

But this axle issue is something we need to consider ! .. If we did buy the 5stud toyota we would plan on not using until next summer as we would like to revamp the interior etc . ... Maybe we could address the rear end at that time too .

Has anyone put " chunky H/D single wheel/tires " on the rear ... Like they do on some semis ?? .

What else would fit that bolt patern ? .

Thanks for the interest on a subject that has prob seen this type of questions before .

Happy Thanksgiving to all south of us ey

Just a update .. But omg ... I'm just thinking Tag Axle ?? ... Already seen a few on the net ...

What y'all think ?

I want to just repeat this and make it clear a foolie wheel is always dangerous whether you are under weight or not. That is what waiter said when he said hed do this. If you find a 18 foot or 16 foot you maybe fine. I had a 21 foot dolphin and the foolie had bent the axle. Still worked. Probably fell off eventually. I sold it as is.

The rear bedroom and window is great but where that layout is bad is the driver cant lean back his seat because of the bathroom. Remove the bathroom wall thats my favorite. Door in the middle bed in rhe back whether its the dining or the bedroom model. Bedroom model is rare but is ideal.

That was the fad until the late 80s then they became mostly rear bath and rear kitchen. I believe all warriors are.

the late 1986 chassis has the dually axle full floating type and six lug front also. in the U S this chassis was also sold for truck use van box trucks such as the U HAUEL that company used a great many. so some times a rear axle can be found from a flat bed or a box truck. this was a cab and chassis sold to different builders for r v s and trucks

Stamar ...

Yes sir that arrangement would be nice ... Due to myself & old lady being ... Short you could say the washroom/seat would not be too much of a issue ..

But if we bought it , we plan to remove the washroom & remodel that area to a lift up bench style seat for the kids with belts , but under the bench we would have a toilet .. Just for emergencies ! .

We have never really used showers in any RVs we have owned .

Well it's an 85 with the 5 lug axle and maybe using single wheels would make it a little safer but your going to put kids in it. It's still going to be not as safe as the one your driving. You will also find that the v6 one you have, has a much smoother ride and has more power. I have grandkids and I would not chance it for a minute. Just drive back to the US and get another one if you like that floor plan better.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/rvs/4141159042.html

Your friends should also pay this amount to buy yours. Just because you got a deal at an auction doesn't mean you should give it away. You are the one who spent the money and the time to get it imported and you should charge accordingly

Linda S

Hey LS ... Thanks so so much ...

What great info ... Thanks again .

Well myself & Momma have been talking it over & we thinking to stay with our Bonnie ... We will be taking her to Mexico soon , so need to get her ready for the trip .

If it was spring & we had time we would try to buy a extra Toy just because !! ...

Thanks again

When you look at the data of how many of each model of dolphin were made each year, and i have i just dont remember where to find it, you see a lot of things that people dont understand.

Most of the ones with the rear dining are also 22r four speeds.

All of the 22res are automatic. V6 too. Etc so you dont ever get what you want. You can see the rear bedroom is gone before the 22re is available. If you prioritize something unimportant you may be looking for somethibg too rare to expect to find it. First find a great deal, try to get a more modern one then worry about toilet. Sadly the rear bedroom is common on the old ones that also dont come with air bags or fuel injection. Sawvone the other day i should have taken a picture of it nxt to mine. When i looked at its bowed rear end i was glad i had an 85 and newer. Even though the rear window is awesome i love it.

The old ones, as far as dolphins, have nicer windows all around. The over cab window too. Dolphin downgraded the window quality in 84. Old ones have some things going for them, partucularly if you want a manual. But overall newer is better.

Other makes are similar but there are a few more rare set ups on a sunrader. I could be wrongbut i believe warriors are all almost identical by year.

Thosr are the three biggest makes.

No that's not right. There are rear dinette Dolphins and Winnebago's in v6 models.

Dolphin 500 to 1990 and then Dolphin 550 to 1993

Winnebago Warrior had a combination sofa, mini dinette in the rear until the end of

production. I have been in a couple

Linda S

The amount in each year is muxh lower so if you were tobe looking for a rear dinette v6 dolphin of which ive never seen one you would be looking for something very rare. The actual data would clear up confusion if you have some. E amount of eqch one manufactured qch yeqr is listed somewhere

Theres several models of dolphin. The rear dinette i think is dolphin 500. It goes from being the most common vehicle to very rare. Without understanding this you are wasting your time shopping for a certAin model.

The opposite is true also a dolphin 300 from before 84 is a rare model. Get the exact data youll have a better guide per year. My quick guide is 100 percent correct though.

I dont kbow about how rare a warrior frar dinette is but it is very rare. I hav only ever seenan older one in person never a newer one. Ive srrn ablot of the newer ones in person at least 20 and none were rear dinette. To make a long story clear if yonou are looking for a rear dineette most of them ever made on this planet are 22r 4 speeds.

Sunraders follow the same trend.

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/regular-cab/1993-toyota-regular-cab/deluxe-short-bed/?vehicleid=11287&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=100000&pricetype=private-party

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/regular-cab/1993-toyota-regular-cab/deluxe-short-bed/?vehicleid=11287&intent=trade-in-sell&options=399349%7ctrue&mileage=100000&pricetype=private-party

in reality in the used car market a 4 cylinder toyota truck from this era goes for much more than a 6 cylinder one.

If you go backwards in time, when they were new the 6 cylinder was an expensive option.

4 runner etc.

it is a peculiar kbb price difference between the motorhome and the truck. it could only be explained by rarity actually. If they made the same rv in the same years I just have a feeling more people would want the 4 cylinder.