Alternator removal

rvman

I have my alternator unbolted and i can not get it out from the bottem of the engine. Is there any thing that has to be removed to get it out. i need it out ASAP. i need to get a new one and a battery.

I have my alternator unbolted and i can not get it out from the bottem of the engine. Is there any thing that has to be removed to get it out. i need it out ASAP. i need to get a new one and a battery.

Yes that's a monster of a job. Have you removed the fan cowel. That is a must. Many people just remove the radiator too but I managed getting it out by removing the transmission cooler line on that side and doing a lot of wiggleing. Make sure and block that line with something so you don't lose tranny fluid. It's been a long time since I did mine but probably lower radiator hose on that side too. I can take a look when the sun comes up

Linda S

Oops just noticed yours is an 89 so probably a v6. I have a 4 cylinder and have no idea if the set up is similar

Did you just take a nut off the bottom? There's a very long bolt that goes through the bottom, and if you haven't removed it, the alternator won't come out.

But yes, what engine and transmission? On my 4 cylinder standard transmission, alternator is a simple job.

on the 22re i wont call it simple but it comes up face first remove the fan shroud

or down removing like its a brace cant think of what its called. its like a 2 peice stabilizer bar

It is a 1989 22-re. so removeing the fan shroud should help me out a lot. it is fully unbolted and siting at the bottem of the engine.

It is a 1989 22-re. so removeing the fan shroud should help me out a lot. it is fully unbolted and siting at the bottem of the engine.

It's probably an automatic too so that tranny line was the key. last element needed to get the darn thing out. When I did mine I watched a youtube vid of a professional supposedly showing how to do it. Well he got to the taking it out part and it was all edited out because of swear words and stuff and then they showed hooking it back up. Stamar no it won't come out the top if you have power steering. No way no how

Linda S

22re,auto, ps.

On a hot engine,1 hr. Remove distributor, power steering pump. Remove alt,reinstall new alt. If you mark the distributor you wont need to reset the timing.

No radiator draining, no transmission leaks. The auto parts store like no spills in their lot.

Mine does nothave power steering. But you have to turn it face up. Pull forward to the radiator then go up. If you have power steering remove the power steering pump.

on the 22re they claim you have to drain the raditor you do not at least on the 4wd truck i removed the bolt on the pipe in the middle of the bottom hoses pulled the hoses over and took out the alternater . i said no way am i draining the raditor to r and r an alternator.

i have done the job on the 20 r with power stearing corona wagen work down distributer first power stearing pump and brakets then alternater quite a little job for shure